Join Early Retirement Today

Young Dreamers don't stop buying now.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Young Dreamers don't stop buying now.

If you young dreamers are averaging into the market - don't stop now. You will look back at this time as a great buying opportunity. If you stop your investments now you will most likely buy when stocks are higher and regret it.

I am retired and started averaging into the market last May and am still doing it. Most of my cash money will be fully averaged into the market by the end of this year. Do I wish I waited until today to begin - yes - I was off by about 8 months.

Stick with your plan.

I think others who are retired would agree with me.

As of 1/21 I am down by 7.6% of my mutual funds cost basis.

My investment allocation is below - I will be moving my other money into my mutual funds over the next few years.
So as you can see while I am retired; my investment plan is like a young working person.

One thing that makes me think that this decline will be short lived is how it is behaving. The sell off has been short and deep - a sharp pain. So this might not last long. If it was a slow sell off it might indicate a slow grind down that would inflict a lot long term pain.

If you are continuing to invest you might want to let others know so that they don't feel alone.

26.7% Mutual Funds 25.0% Cash 48.4% Foreign Exchange 100%

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Stick with your plan.

I think others who are retired would agree with me.
Yep. Looks as if this is shaping up to be the biggest after Christmas stock sale in the past 50 years or so.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. Looks as if this is shaping up to be the biggest after Christmas stock sale in the past 50 years or so.
At last, a word of sanity after all that doom and gloom on another thread. I'm still debating 11500. To buy or just watch.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

$1k a month into the market, same as usual. I know it must take a lot more mental fortitude when you are in the withdrawal phase!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm buying monthly. I picked up some GRMN last month and just bought some MIDD this morning. To buy and immediately lose 10-20% does hurt, especially being relatively new to investing. I have read enough to believe that you can make out pretty well in the long run by buying when everyone else is selling. I just hope that I'm buying the right things :-)
Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm buying monthly, not as much as I would like, but definitely buying monthly. I have lots of time for this to pay out.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still working, investing, and sticking with my asset allocation. I think (hope) most of my fellow Young Dreamers are doing the exact same thing.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #8

After putting my full 2008 Roth IRA contribution to work in the market on 1/2/08 and watching it drop about 8% and with all the muttering about a 500 point drop in the Dow today, I went ahead and asked Vanguard to start me a taxable account with an additional several $K, hoping to get today's closing price. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way and I'll get the closing price on Thursday. Oh well.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, still DCA-ing here. My only regret is that I do not have more money to put into the market right now. It is very tempting to dip into the Rainy Day Fund, but I need my sleep at night.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
It is very tempting to dip into the Rainy Day Fund, but I need my sleep at night.
Oddly enough, I find that my required rainy day fund for comfortable sleeping has increased of late...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Still DCA-ing as usual. Strangely enough I am not bothered one little bit (upset or excited). About 6 months ago, I have decided to increase our fixed income to 20% over next 12-18 months. It looks like we'll get there a bit faster...
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup, still DCA'ing same as before. I have a long time to go before retirement, so I'm not too hung up about stock market drops, even large ones. The only concern I have is things getting bad enough that I no longer have an income stream to invest.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am 23 and putting enough in my 401k each month to max it out by the end of the year. I would love to see a decline over the next several years so I can accumulate, but not decline enough that I lose my job.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I am still putting money in the market. I am DCAing into retirement accounts and VCAing into taxable accounts as usual. The wife is getting a bonus at the end of the week and it will get invested as well as soon as it hits our brokerage account. Quite frankly I am not worried about putting more money to work in the market right now. Our investing horizon is quite long and I think that in the long run we won't regret it. Our emergency fund could use some more padding, but when I see the kind of interest rates I will earn on that money in a few months and the kind of inflation we have right now, I don't really have an incentive to add much money to our savings.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #15

I just DCAed into the 60-inch plasma TV market. I think the valuation is way out of whack, but I couldn't resist. Just kidding!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I am buying and will continue to buy. I keep telling people that 10 years from now we will all be wishing we had invested more now. This downturn could very easily take a few years off my working life by giving me more later.

Remember buy low, sell high
Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Yeah, still DCA-ing here. My only regret is that I do not have more money to put into the market right now. It is very tempting to dip into the Rainy Day Fund, but I need my sleep at night.
Don't sweat it. Truth is, no one really knows whether the next few days/weeks/months will prove to be a tremendous buying opportunity or a 'falling knife'. In the circumstances, it's probably prudent to stick with regularly investing and not worry about timing the market.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #18

My monthly investment went in as usual. On a positive note the recent decline has brought my stock:bond asset allocation to target!

DD
Old 01-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of my current net worth is attributable to the bursting of the tech bubble. I lost about 35% of the money I had on 1/1/2000 but off of a small base. I continued to buy shares in 2000, 2001, and 2002 through my 401k with a 6% company match. I then made 38% in 2003 off of a much higher base and earned back way more than I had previously lost. Five years of great returns later and it is worth a whole lot

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #20

Oh, the market is down right now?

Seriously though (although, I didn't really know it was down), that's good advice Dex.