Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your ER goal age? How much do you plan on having saved?
Under 25 3 0.98%
25-30 4 1.31%
31-35 6 1.96%
36-40 20 6.54%
41-45 36 11.76%
46-50 31 10.13%
51-55 56 18.30%
56-60 19 6.21%
61-65 5 1.63%
Over 65 0 0%
Under 300k 1 0.33%
301-600k 8 2.61%
601k-900k 15 4.90%
901k-1.5 Million 46 15.03%
1.5 Million and up 56 18.30%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo
In reais. I intend to retire with R$1M.

Thanks. I had a really hard time convincing my girlfriend that this is the way to go.
Is that roughly USD 500,000?
If so, would that provide a good living for you and your woman in Salvador?

Thanks,

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo
In reais. I intend to retire with R$1M.

Thanks. I had a really hard time convincing my girlfriend that this is the way to go.
That sounds both feasible and like it would provide you (both) a great "retirement." Judging by myself as well as some others who posted in a recent thread here, the two of you would take advantage of FI as a wonderful opportunity, and enjoy whatever you choose to embark on next, rather than really "retire" as people normally use the word.

I hope you stick around, so we can hear how things progress!
__________________

__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 70
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Is that roughly USD 500,000?
If so, would that provide a good living for you and your woman in Salvador?

Thanks,

Ha
Yes, roughly US 500k. A little less than that. Our expenses today are +- R$2.000 per month, or 24k/year.

So, 1M is more than enough to cover inflation, keep the nest and cover the expenses.

However, I will certainly not live in Salvador much longer. Bahia is the only state in Brazil where you can't be a notary . I guess you can't have everything.
__________________
:)
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 70
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
That sounds both feasible and like it would provide you (both) a great "retirement." Judging by myself as well as some others who posted in a recent thread here, the two of you would take advantage of FI as a wonderful opportunity, and enjoy whatever you choose to embark on next, rather than really "retire" as people normally use the word.

I hope you stick around, so we can hear how things progress!
Thanks so much for the kind words. They surely mean a lot to me!

I am certainly an exception where I live. Neither my family nor anyone (and I really mean anyone) that I know live below their means. My dad is 72 and still work everyday in a small business. My mother spends like there is no tomorrow. My brother is only worried about cars, etc. My friends are spending their money in cars, plasma TVs, etc.

I will surely stay around for a loooong time. Decades for sure! I identify with a lot of people in this forum. I have so many interests, a woman that I love and health. I only want money so it can be my servant and buy me time, not the opposite.
__________________
:)
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Thanks so much for the kind words. They surely mean a lot to me!

I am certainly an exception where I live. Neither my family nor anyone (and I really mean anyone) that I know live below their means. My dad is 72 and still work everyday in a small business. My mother spends like there is no tomorrow. My brother is only worried about cars, etc. My friends are spending their money in cars, plasma TVs, etc.

I will surely stay around for a loooong time. Decades for sure! I identify with a lot of people in this forum. I have so many interests, a woman that I love and health. I only want money so it can be my servant and buy me time, not the opposite.
A healthy attitude if I've ever heard one!

Remind me to remind you to invite me down to Brazil some time ..I think I could have some fun even if I spent below my means there! 8)
__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Ed_The_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the City of Subdued Excitement
Posts: 5,292
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Leonardo,

Consider Curitiba. I have been talking with a couple of Brazilianos in my company and they give it rave reviews.

Where were you thinking of going?

Ed
__________________
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 70
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Leonardo,

Consider Curitiba. I have been talking with a couple of Brazilianos in my company and they give it rave reviews.

Where were you thinking of going?

Ed
Curitiba is a great city! I'd love to live there. It's surely one of the best cities here in Brazil.

To be honest, I can't decide where I will live. The tests to become a notary are very rare and each state make their test, so I won't be able to pass the opportunity just because the test is not in a good state.

When I pass the test to be a notary (and I hope this will not take long) I will probably not even choose the city. I do intend to go to the south of Brazil when I retire, however!

But who knows, until there I might be under the ground already.
__________________
:)
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Ed_The_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the City of Subdued Excitement
Posts: 5,292
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Leo said,
Quote:
When I pass the test to be a notary (and I hope this will not take long) I will probably not even choose the city.
?? Are you going to practice out of the back of your Volkswagen?? No comprende. Does the licensing authority assign you a place to practice?

Inquiring minds want to know.

All the best,

Lalo el Gitano

(Not all gringos know that a notario is a person with advanced schooling, much like an attorney in 'el norte'. Congratulations, Leonardo!)
__________________
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 70
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Leo said,
?? Are you going to practice out of the back of your Volkswagen?? No comprende. Does the licensing authority assign you a place to practice?

Inquiring minds want to know.

All the best,

Lalo el Gitano

(Not all gringos know that a notario is a person with advanced schooling, much like an attorney in 'el norte'. Congratulations, Leonardo!)
No, I'll surely not practice in the back of a Volks .

First of all, you have to study A LOT. The notary receive much more money than judges, prosecutors and, by far, lawyers, who can gain as low as R$12k/year. As I said, you have to pass a very difficult test. For example, this year we had a test in the state of Sao Paulo. I'll suppose there were 50 "slots". 10 in the capital and 40 in other cities. Suppose that I pass in 45th. I'll then have, at most, 5 cities to choose where to practice.

The licensing authority does assign a place that you practice. You cannot practice in any other place. Most of the time, however, no one else in the city but you can practice. So the money come by this "market reserve" where you have 100% of the market.
__________________
:)
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

So being a notary in Brazil is like playing in the NBA?
__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Ed_The_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the City of Subdued Excitement
Posts: 5,292
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
The licensing authority does assign a place that you practice.
How about that! That's the first time I have been right this week! .

The best of luck, meu amigo.

Lalo
__________________
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:57 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BunsGettingFirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,502
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

I have been "retired" for a whopping 1.5 weeks. I'm not really retired as much as waiting for school to start, but here are my observations so far:

1) I spend a lot less time buying crap than I used to because now every dime must come out of my portofolio's earnings. Only bad habit still left: Buying finance books on Amazon.

2) I spend a lot more time reading than going out. Still can't get used to being "retired" at 35 and having the neighborhood moms give me strange looks for going for a jog at 2 PM.

3) I sleep a lot better. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night because I'm bothered by something that happened at work. A lot of the BS just seem so petty and stupid from afar. I hope that I can carry this attitude to my next job, but I don't know for sure.
__________________
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Ed_The_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the City of Subdued Excitement
Posts: 5,292
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Buns quoth:
Quote:
I sleep a lot better. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night because I'm bothered by something that happened at work.
Hey, I could get to like not-working! You might, too!
__________________
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
I have been "retired" for a whopping 1.5 weeks. I'm not really retired as much as waiting for school to start, but here are my observations so far:



2) I spend a lot more time reading than going out. Still can't get used to being "retired" at 35 and having the neighborhood moms give me strange looks for going for a jog at 2 PM.


You should wear a handyman's uniform and cruise the neighborhood, those young moms might employ you part time! (Think obscure James Taylor reference).
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets
just_hatched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 90
Re: Young Dreamers, how early do you want to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
You should wear a handyman's uniform and cruise the neighborhood, those young moms might employ you part time! (Think obscure James Taylor reference).
sidenote on

hey Laurence - thanks for resuming the cute kid pics!

/sidenote off
__________________

__________________
just_hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Retire Early Home Page Old Admin Forum Admin 79 05-19-2006 08:58 AM
Warning: Some Retire Early REWahoo FIRE and Money 6 06-22-2005 12:11 PM
Will the young dreamers chances of ER depend on a market drop? wildcat Young Dreamers 6 05-27-2005 03:38 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.