Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Young HomeBuying Question
Old 03-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
Brat - you talking about this stuff?
PEX has taken over the Hawaii new-construction market. I'm intrigued by the shutoff manifolds but not so enthralled by one builder's practice of putting the water-spraying manifold next to the circuit-breaker box.

We have some sort of PEX precursor from the late '80s that seems to be holding up, but I still remember the disasters of aluminum wiring & butyl plumbing.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bode,
Congratulations on graduation and the wedding!

What's the stress test where each of life's events have a score and if you total up more than 300 your xx% likely to get ill? Marriage, moving, etc are all high point events as I remember...

Anyway, we did pretty much the same thing (and neither of us got ill) at about the same age. Things to think about with a new house from our experience:

1. Pay particular attention to details of the house plan. For example, they will only place light switches, power outlets, cable outlets, etc where indicated on the plan. Look carefully at room lighting too...
2. These days I'd say if you are an audio/video-phile you may want to consider pre-wiring the appropriate room(s). Think outdoor lighting and perhaps audio on the deck/porch early too (if desired). Things like this are easy when you are at the stud stage of construction rather than after the sheetrock goes in.
3. Think beyond "house is finished" by the contractor (FIL+others). You'll need a significant amount of money for things like blinds, curtain rods and curtains, refer and other things that add up. We didn't see this coming and barely had enough money set aside.
4. If this is a long term house, do think about the amount of rooms you will have in case you do decide to have kids. It would be a dissapointment if you finished the house in a couple years, decided to have children, and then didn't have a place to put them forcing a move out of your brand new home.

AV8

Old 03-26-2006, 03:46 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8
Anyway, we did pretty much the same thing (and neither of us got ill) at about the same age.* Things to think about with a new house from our experience:

1.* Pay particular attention to details of the house plan.* For example, they will only place light switches, power outlets, cable outlets, etc where indicated on the plan.* Look carefully at room lighting too...
2.* These days I'd say if you are an audio/video-phile you may want to consider pre-wiring the appropriate room(s).* Think outdoor lighting and perhaps audio on the deck/porch early too (if desired).* Things like this are easy when you are at the stud stage of construction rather than after the sheetrock goes in.
Right on!! Consider conduit for audio wiring. As some of us old f.. well know, the 'state of the art' changes. String your wire through a conduit and if you ever need to change it you can pull new through.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
the disasters of aluminum wiring & butyl plumbing.
Lets not forget hardboard siding and EIFS... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, thanks for all the help.

I haven't really decided as of yet what to do. My FIL said that you can save (give or take) about 10-20% building a house yourself, compared to buying.

To answer questions, we have no kids, probably in about 3 years we will start. I get along well with the FIL, and most importantly trust him, because he knows a heck of a lot more then me about homebuilding.

The thing that most scares me is the stress level. I am great at handling stress.
AV8, how old were you when you built your house? I want to start in about a year (i am almost 23) but want to start at about 24. I plan to try and save up as much money as I can in the mean time.

The more and more I think about it, I would build the garage attached to the house for all the reasons you all mentioned. I would like to leave upstairs unfinished, but we will see.

By the way, i live in Corpus Christi, no basements here, I live about a rock throw from the Gulf of Mexico

Take care, and keep them coming,

Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bode316
By the way, i live in Corpus Christi, no basements here, I live about a rock throw from the Gulf of Mexico
Bode, you might save a little on your homeowners insurance premiums if you build it on pontoons...

Seriously, if you are really that close to the Gulf, you should look into the cost of homeowners insurance before you make the decision to build. It could be very expensive.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:33 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

AV8,

Well I wouldn't let the fear of stress stop you from your house project (I was mostly kidding when I wrote that). Can't let stuff like that stop you or you'll never do anything in life.

If I remember correctly we were 24 and 22 at the time. We didn't have the advantage of a FIL in the area or in the business (we were both far from our families and truely on our own). Dealt with a mostly good builder who I think helped us along because we were probably about the same age as his kids. It was a great experience, and we learned a lot about home building in the process. We've moved many many times since then, but if we ever build again we'll be pretty darn experienced about it. So I guess I'm trying to say "if it feels right and pencils out, go for it."

AV8
Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bode316
Wow, thanks for all the help.

I haven't really decided as of yet what to do. My FIL said that you can save (give or take) about 10-20% building a house yourself, compared to buying.

Yes, you can save 10-20% or more if you are building a custom home yourself. However, if you are completely new at it, some of the learning curve may take some of savings away. I am about to finish building my own house and I am doing three remodels at the time. It is a lot of work. Even if you don't do any of the physical stuff yourself, you will have to be on top of your subs and do all the organizing/planning. If you are renting a place while building, hire folks to work for you and make the building go as fast as possible - otherwise you are paying for two places.

Building yourself makes most sense for a custom home. You wil never be able to beat the cost of building of the big tract builders e.g. Norton, KB etc. that are in the entry level market. Their volume gets material and labor at a fraction of the cost what you can get it for. Even if you do the work all yourself and don't get a single contractor, you probably would not be able to beat their sqft prices.

If you are a starter, you may want to buy an existing house to begin with. Corpus is dirt cheap and lots of choices. Financing an existing house may also be easier and cheaper.

You are really young. You can always move up to something bigger and more expensive as your family gets more additions and you get a fatter paycheck.

Vicky
Old 03-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In many parts of South Texas, if you build a basement it is called an indoor swimming pool. The water table is about three feet.

We just finished a home in the Lake Livingston area. Used a local contractor, who put us in contact with a 'local boy' who draws plans. Charged $1 psf for living area and $.10 for uncovered area. Never saw any sort of license or certification, but the house is built well. Builder has been inbusiness for 30 years.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Never been to Texas, never want to go. Did not know for sure where they wanted to build either, my bust, I never knew the whole state of Texas didn't have basements. Sorry for the bad advise!!! Everybody else set me straight though, thanks!!!
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmeouttahere
Build a house with a daylight walkout basement and leave the basement unfinished.*
Then again, after further thought, build a one storey house instead, then you don't have to worry about the upstairs (or a flooded out basement in Texas).

Buy some land with the money you saved by not building the two storey house right away.* Sell your house or rent it later and build your dream two storey house then!!!!* *

Always thinking!!!!

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:03 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticDivision
Some people enjoy doing that sort of stuff. There is nothing wrong with buying an existing house, but for me personally, i'd rather build on my own and plan to. You will definately save money building your home over a comparable home purchased through a real estate agent (real estate commission, builder markup, savings on material purchases, etc).
I think you are missing my point. I am not comparing building new to buying a new house (spec house or whatever). I am suggesting that buying an existing house on the market is an option (lower taxes and less hassle).
Old 03-31-2006, 07:22 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

We built our own house last year, and are pretty pleased with the results. Now, we had a builder do all the work, didn't try to act as general contractors ourselves -- I don't know what that would be like. We left some things to do ourselves later, but only those things we felt competent to take on (basically, landscaping, and will be tackling a deck this year).

As far as the garage, I grew up in houses without garages, and consider them an eyesore. It just doesn't seem right to devote part of a house to an inanimate object, unless you think your cars as pets or something. But that is personal preference, and we are probably in the minority on that one. Plus, as has been mentioned, you might want to consider local preferences when it comes to resale, if that is a consideration for you.

Bpp

Old 03-31-2006, 08:48 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

You should try getting into a car thats been sitting outside in Yuba City in August when its 100-110 degrees out.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote