Young'uns looking to RE

There is a good show I saw on Netflix by National Geographic called Stress: Portrait of a Killer that does explain in some ways who enjoys their jobs and who does not. Basically it has an element of unless you are the lead dog the view never changes kind of findings.

It can also be found on the Internet in various places:
Stress: Portrait of a Killer (2008) - Top Documentary Films

It is not good to be low man on the pecking order in either an aggressive baboon troop or in a high stress corporate or government job. The blood markers for stress come out the same.

But for people who have low stress levels on the job, don't get kicked around and/or have a high degree of autonomy and control, work can actually be enjoyable and rewarding.

As an example, when I read the 2 bolded quotes above, I read them as being completely antithetical.

I don't see them as conflicting if you stretch it out to a time frame of a career spanning 30+ years.

The first quote was in reply to the poster who stated that they never met anyone who truly loved their job and couldn't wait for the weekend to end.

The second quote was in reference to having realized later in life that I had missed a number of things at home while pursuing aforementioned job that I loved, coincidentally at a time when the job was no longer around and health issues began to crop up.

Last edited:
I don't see them as conflicting if you stretch it out to a time frame of a career spanning 30+ years.

People and priorities change just as circumstances do, certainly makes sense.

Maybe these young'uns not blowing their $10k are in your later mindset right now?

Would be beautiful if they get your job-loving chance too, but the odds are not stacked in their favor. Also makes sense to me :)

P
Would be beautiful if they get your job-loving chance too, but the odds are not stacked in their favor.

Likely including the $38K post-docs you mention! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom