Your first day of retirement

Berkshire_Bull

Recycles dryer sheets
here's a chance for those of us who still have retirement a way off to day-dream about our "ideal" day of retirement... here's mine:

wake up around 9, go for a run
shower then a light breakfast with the Mrs.
do some chores and such
tinker with the car or car(s) if im lucky
grab lunch about 1 or 2ish
golf course at 3 followed by happy hour with the guys
dinner at the course with the guys and the wives 7pm
a couple more drinks after dinner, play some cards
go home, some tv or a movie, maybe try and keep some fire with the wife i suppose ;) go to bed about 12-1

ahhhhhh the good life!

I'll take all of the above... except the golf.  That damn game gives me more stress than the thought of 10 more years of working... :mad:

On my first day of early retirement, (it'll be 3 years in February), I boarded a plan with my wife and 3 small kids (now 4 small kids) and spent two full months in the Bahamas...probably blew thru close to a years worth of living expenses on that trip...but have never regreted a penny of it..can't do it easily any more, now that 2 of the 4 are in school, but sure was a fantasy come true for me.

Retirement is a slow process for me. I'm part-time now in a self-employed business and doing some things now during the weekdays that people do when they are retired. I plan to fade into full retirement in a few years unless I really get sick of this part-time stuff a lot sooner. So I guess i won't be sighing a big gasp of relief on any set day.

I also won't be turning my full-retirement into a big party for myself since I would feel that it would be gloating and a tease to my friends who are still working.

I would be happy just to take a leisurely walk along a river with my family, have a picnic, and later a short afternoon nap and just think to myself about how many people in suits and ties ready for the next company meeting or trying to meet the next stressful deadline at that point of the day are wishing they could be doing what I was doing.

After sleeping until noon, I rolled around the corner to the lake and sat in a chair under an umbrella with a four pack of guiness (no bottles allowed, and this is one of the better canned beers) and my cell phone to watch the bikinis and take endless calls from people that usually started with "You #$@%$#!!! You retired?!?!?".

Lots and lots of giggling ensued.

Do a google for "A perfect day - for him" and "A perfect day - for her". Warning: R-rated results...

TH: you are funny!! I am sitting here eating my lunch and trying not to giggle too hard while reading your post(not pretty).

Second for not going for golf. I have tried it few times with friends and it seemed that all we do is stand around doing nothing and then hit the ball once in a while. Driving range - now that is a little more fun. especially if the guy in funny little car driving around trying to collect the golf balls. My friends and I used to make a sport of who can hit him the most often :D Okay, okay it may sound mean but the guy usually just smile and wave at us (the fact that we are all women probably helps). No golf guy is hurt in the process.

Canada (Canadian?) Open is now playing at the golf course nearby my home and my goodness, the number of people who are trying to watch Weir or Vijay (?) is amazing! I tried wathcing one of these golf tournaments once, but never again...

Jane

I thought of doing something special on the first few days of retirement - instead, that first day and for the two months I've been retired, my routine goes something like this:

I wake up at the same time I did when I had to go to work... but I lay in bed for awhile and think about the rush I'd be in if I had to go to work.

then I put on my robe and stroll out to the driveway to pick up the morning paper - I stop and survey the weather and smell the morning air, I wave to my neighbors as they scurry off to work and then I saunder back into the house for coffee, toast and tv/paper read with my wife. We go for a 45-60min jog, come home then do whatever.

I haven't done any of the projects I had lined up to do before retirement except fix the flat tires on our bikes. We've spent alot of time with family and day trippin in the area and eventually I'll get around to putting up the attic ladder and doing some landscape work.

Sounds kind of like Tony Soprano, except for the "jog" :)

John Galt

TH, never do more than 2 beers a day. :-X And go beerless at least one day a week. ;)

Hmm...what exactly counts as "a day" in each of those two suggestions?

Is this some special "canadian day" that only last 20 minutes or so?
:confused:

Good Morning
There are two theories on the Canadian Day.

1. The day is actually metric. Each day has 10 hours, each hour has 100 minutes and each minute has 100 Seconds. The length of the second is calculatesd to be 1/100000 of a day.

2. It is too cold here and we are frozen all but 20 minutes of the day.

Actally this morning it is 72F 21C but very humid.

:D

Ten hours. Hmm. Seems like a long time. May I skip this requirement if I drink canadian beer or drink it in metric amounts of 4l at a time?

By "humidity" do you mean "icicles"?
;)

Ten hours.  Hmm.  Seems like a long time.  May I skip this requirement if I drink canadian beer or drink it in metric amounts of 4l at a time?

You do know that we Canucks measure beers by the two-four don't you? ;)

By "humidity" do you mean "icicles"? ;)

The humidity by the Great Lakes can be pretty high and it can be pretty bad in August and September.

Explain this concept of the "two-four" as it seems very intriguing...especially if it implies 8 in a pack rather than 6... :)

Explain this concept of the "two-four" as it seems very intriguing...especially if it implies 8 in a pack rather than 6... :)

A two-four is slang for the 24 case of beer.  I haven't really seen them in the US.  We even have the May two-four holiday (Victoria Day is May 24th and often young folks will take to the campgrounds with many two-fours).

If Zipper was suggesting only two actual beers that's two actual Canadian beers so with the low alcohol content of most US beer that might mean that you can have 24 American beers.   :D

Q: How is American beer like making love in a canoe?

A: They're both f*@#ing close to water.

"two-four"

four six paks or three eight paks

OR

What I used to drink as a teenager and still feel good the next day.

OR

That thought gives me a head ache just thinking about it

Or

A little bit more than one of those molson cans with the Hockey logos on from a couple of years ago. NOW THOSE WERE CANS.

bruce

Back
Top Bottom