Avatar: what am I doing wrong to install one?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
1. Go to User CP
2. Go to Edit Avatar
3. Paste in no. 2 the link to the avatar that is 80x80 pixels
4. Hit "Save Changes"

...and nothing. What am I doing wrong?

In step 3, are you attempting to use an avatar located on your computer? If so, try using the browse button to locate it in your files, then click on it to place it in the box.

No, it is not in my files. Just a link to where I found a free 80x80 pixel avatar. Let me see if I can put it in the file and work it.
This is embarrassing to be so computer stupid. I appreciate your help, REWahoo.

How I did this I will never know, but I tried to follow what you were saying; so, I am imagining you gave good directions as it worked. You have NO idea how many times I tried to do this. Thanks, REWahoo. I appreciate it greatly, and hope I don't have to bother you again with this. (I really need to take a computer class or pick up a book on it sometime instead of just hunting and pecking and hoping I figure things out.)

I really wanted a hot girl like W2R has, but couldn't get them to work. Too hot maybe?

Reactions: W2R
How I did this I will never know, but I tried to follow what you were saying; so, I am imagining you gave good directions as it worked. You have NO idea how many times I tried to do this. Thanks, REWahoo. I appreciate it greatly, and hope I don't have to bother you again with this. (I really need to take a computer class or pick up a book on it sometime instead of just hunting and pecking and hoping I figure things out.)

..your new avatar is well suited to hunting and pecking!:D

Ha!
By the way, where do most people find their avatars? I had a heck of a time, so is there some website that is good?

There are lots of sites that offer free avatars. You could google "free avatars" and find quite a few. I don't know of any that are better than others, but if you browse through several of them I am sure you will find some nice ones.

I found my present one here on the board. When we had the old software on the old server, a bunch of default avatars were provided. A smaller version of this photo of Eva Habermann was one of the choices.

I have used other avatars that I made from photos that I found online, or photos that I took at home or on trips. But since you feel you are not computer savvy, maybe it would be easier to pick one out of the many great avatars available from one of the free avatar sites.

Last edited:
I wonder if she gets royalties for being a default avatar? :confused::LOL:

I have found it easier to save a picture to my desktop and then upload it from there to my avatar.

Love the cute ducky ! :D

I picked Bugs Bunny because I always enjoyed the wisecracking ol' Bugs was so good at.
I got to see Mel Blanc live at college in 1976. He was so funny! He verbally switched from one character to another seamlessly. What a performer he was. :LOL:

My avatar is a depiction of the Good Soldier Svejk, something close to a national hero from one of the seminal works of Czech literature. Happily, I have a great deal of his character in me, once I strip off the layers of obligation, duty, family responsibility, etc.

I met Mel Blanc once (the voice of most of the characters) at an art gallery with my son when he was about 8-9 y.o. He must have really liked kids (he's dead now), because he spent quite a bit of time playing with my son...of course, the kid was really cute then. Today since I'm mad at him...not so much.

So, I guess you can take a larger photo and shrink it to 80x80 pixels to fit as your avatar? Is there some trick to this? And what is it?
I looked thru a ton a women avatars, but is seemed kinda ridiculous for an older gal to have some hot 20 y.o. photo. Where are the avatars of older women that look good?

I did a search on Sophia Loren photos...here's one that is a mature pic.

You copy the pic (jpg) and save it to your computer. Then download.

So, I guess you can take a larger photo and shrink it to 80x80 pixels to fit as your avatar? Is there some trick to this? And what is it?
I looked thru a ton a women avatars, but is seemed kinda ridiculous for an older gal to have some hot 20 y.o. photo. Where are the avatars of older women that look good?

Right here:

Attachments

• Audrey Hepburn-716378.jpg
    Audrey Hepburn-716378.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
I think Margaret Thatcher looks nice, and nobody could say she is young. To download this or the other avatars people have attached, just right click on the photo and save it to your computer.

Attachments

• Thatcher.jpg
    Thatcher.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom