Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Blank Pages and No Response Thread
Old 05-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably a bad card in one of the routers, a bad switch, or a bad cable somewhere.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2005, 12:01 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Ah crap, i'm pink now.

Well, might as well keep complaining...it cant get any worse now, can it?

Hey Jim, like Dory, you also missed the "shirley" routine.

Maybe thats just me, my wife and I do that to each other almost daily.

You just cant get good 'help' anymore...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #23
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I went to the data center's support forum and found a dozen messages about slow response on lots of servers in the same data center (thousands of servers). Some referred to external stuff, as in
Quote:
I think theres a big ineternet problem right now.

I can't get to google, All (datacenter where e-r is) servers are 40% + packet loss. Servers on the west coast for me have major latency, and Packet loss as well.
The only known and predictable slow times on the server that e-r.org runs on are from 1am Central time and lasting 60-80 minutes or so, which is when backups are run, and for about 5 minutes starting at 4am Central time, when logs are closed compressed and new logs are started.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I pull up about 15 pages all at once with firefox; this is the only one that stalls or doesnt come up, so I'm not thinking its some widespread "internet problem". I did hear about some "poisoned dns" hacking going on last week, so maybe we're unlucky enough to have been snagged by that and thats part of it.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

It's the same for me. I fail at least once more often than not. On 2 occasions I tried on and off for over an hour; I just figured the site was down and gave up. Also, frequently after I sign in and hit the button to go ahead, I get a blank page. And it is just this site,; doesn't seem to be happening elsewhere.

Mikey
Old 05-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #26
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by You dont know me
I pull up about 15 pages all at once with firefox; this is the only one that stalls or doesnt come up, so I'm not thinking its some widespread "internet problem".* I did hear about some "poisoned dns" hacking going on last week, so maybe we're unlucky enough to have been snagged by that and thats part of it.
No -- my last comment wasn't referring to blank pages, but to the very slow response last night, sometimes making sites inaccessible for several minutes at a time.

On the blank pages .. I read one comment elsewhere that on similarly configured servers, the first SQL query (after some period with no queries) would take a couple of seconds, while queries shortly after that would take just a few hundredths of a second.

Beyond that, I'm grasping at straws. Strangely, it never seems to hit me. I'd be interested in knowing if others using the same software have experienced the problem. I think BMJ has been trying to find out about that. *If not, then maybe switching to another server might be an idea. *(I'm sure BMJ has nothing better to do...)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Re: Couldn't access the discussion board
Old 05-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #27
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
* * *Dory, on an unrelated & hypothetical topic, do you accept financial donations to maintain the board?* If so, what's an appropriate amount?* Roy Weitz over at FundAlarm suggests $18/year and several online magazines charge a few bucks a month.* And how do you prefer to receive the $$?* Again this is NOT a complaint or coercion or even a measly bribe...
I have a donation link on firecalc, on the results page. Over there, I suggest that the price of a beer or two is a suitable amount.

So sure - I'll accept a little help that way. But don't feel obligated in any way. .

Dory36

* -- fwiw, I received an email the other day asking if I would consider selling the site and forum. I declined. But if th You don't know me can't decide on a color, I might sell him off.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #28
Developer of FIRECalc

BTW, here is a chart of the past 24 hours of traffic on one of the backbones serving the data center we use. They switch to other providers when these things happen, but that has got to make things slower there.

Attached Images
File Type: gif backbone.gif (6.5 KB, 28 views)

Old 05-20-2005, 03:53 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No problem here.
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ah crap, i'm pink now.

Hey Jim, like Dory, you also missed the "shirley" routine.

Maybe thats just me, my wife and I do that to each other almost daily.

You just cant get good 'help' anymore...
I like my new color okay. DW just bought a lounge for the deck which is very close to my forner color (on this site). I hate it! As soon as
she goes back to work, it is going to disappear, at least temporarily.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

I wasn't able to bring up the board for extended periods last night (~6:30-7:30 PM HST)
Had the same problem at the same time as Nords. Running Firefox.

And, BTW, I just got a "Timed out while trying to contact early-retirement.org" message while trying to post this message...

REW, 7 (count 'em), 7 days to eR!!
Old 05-21-2005, 06:19 AM   #32
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Ah crap, i'm pink now.

thYou dont know me and JG have gone into stealth mode, as befits witness protection program participants.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:45 AM   #33
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWanabe
Had the same problem at the same time as Nords.* Running Firefox.

And, BTW, I just got a "Timed out while trying to contact early-retirement.org" message while trying to post this message...

REW, 7 (count 'em), 7 days to eR!!
The data center asks for one diagnostic that will perhaps help... if you have a problem getting to the site, run "tracert" in a command window and either post or PM the results.

Based on the anecdotal info so far, it seems that the problems correlate to distance from the server.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
thYou dont know me and JG have gone into stealth mode, as befits witness witless protection program participants.
Once again, edited for clarity and accuracy.

REW
Old 05-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Stealth mode?

How much do you think you can get for me?
Old 05-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Dory, thanks for the full stealth mode new name color...

Shhh...I'm in disguise!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #37

th You dont know me,

Your stealth mode may actually revealing more information, rather than less. We now know you are white...

REW
Old 05-21-2005, 11:53 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Some parts of me are, some parts of me arent
Old 05-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Some parts of me are, some parts of me arent
Don't tell me...you starred with Frank Gorshin on that famous "Black & White" episode of Star Trek?!? You are Lokai!!!!!

REW
Old 05-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #40
Developer of FIRECalc

There is a theory floating around the forum that supports the software we are running, suggesting that the feature that makes the forum more accessible to Google and other search engines also causes some other problems, possibly including the blank pages.

I am turning that feature off at least for a short while. Would those of you experiemcing the blank pages please let me know if you continue to see them over the next few days?

Thanks,

dory3n