Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
blocking moderators
Old 06-01-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,169
blocking moderators

Can you remove the restriction that prevents filtering out user's who
happen to be moderators?
TJ
__________________

__________________
teejayevans is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,669
I asked for that option as well. I can't see why that can't be an option.
__________________

__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I asked for that option as well. I can't see why that can't be an option.
Yea, I saw that, but it was buried in another thread, hence the reason
I asked for it again, with it's own title.
TJ
__________________
teejayevans is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
I've tried in the past to gain less paternalistic moderation on this board. Our moderators apparently really believe they know better. They can censor while you can't even edit your own posts after a few minutes. You can ignore posters, but not their posts. If you push too hard, you'll get a nasty-gram from one or more of them. They are probably talking about you right now on their special moderator's board that you can't participate in.

Good luck.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,522
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me...
Now that should be censored.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Absolutely positively one of the lightest handed, least, most reasonably moderated boards I've ever participated in, with the exception of moderator-less boards.

Do we really all yearn for the unchecked return of hocomania, howard and the many mikes?

Dont you really just feel bad because a moderator asked you to provide some concrete background on an opinion you posed as a fact, maybe because 20-30 times you provided an opinion that wasnt based on anything particularly factual?

Or maybe you're just grumpy about a moderator doing exactly the same frickin thing you've done previously?

Theres no technologically reasonable way to prohibit display of a moderators posts, as software cant tell when they're steering a discussion, when they're being wise guys, or when they're doing something you dont like.

About the only solution would be to make a generic moderator account that mods use, and have them use their regular acct to do regular posting.

Hmm, lets see...take people doing a crap job for free and receiving very little appreciation for it, and ask them to log out and back in again 3-5 times a day. Good luck with that...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Absolutely positively one of the lightest handed, least, most reasonably moderated boards I've ever participated in, with the exception of moderator-less boards.

Do we really all yearn for the unchecked return of hocomania, howard and the many mikes?

Dont you really just feel bad because a moderator asked you to provide some concrete background on an opinion you posed as a fact, maybe because 20-30 times you provided an opinion that wasnt based on anything particularly factual?

Or maybe you're just grumpy about a moderator doing exactly the same frickin thing you've done previously?

Theres no technologically reasonable way to prohibit display of a moderators posts, as software cant tell when they're steering a discussion, when they're being wise guys, or when they're doing something you dont like.

About the only solution would be to make a generic moderator account that mods use, and have them use their regular acct to do regular posting.

Hmm, lets see...take people doing a crap job for free and receiving very little appreciation for it, and ask them to log out and back in again 3-5 times a day. Good luck with that...
A very troll-worthy post CFB. You make up stories that are not true. You make implications without substance. You claim personal experience as global fact. Good job. Now all you have to do is comment in a few dozen 20 paragraph rants and you will have successfully displaced *****.



If I didn't know that you just try to annoy people because you get some sort of perverse pleasure from it, I might get annoyed. Instead, I am amused.

Keep trying though. We know that you will be right in the end -- even if it's only in your own mind.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Now are you just trying to get yourself moderated?
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Absolutely positively one of the lightest handed, least, most reasonably moderated boards I've ever participated in, with the exception of moderator-less boards.
Agreed.

I have no idea what the complainers are talking about. I wish they give specific detailed incidents in which they were "unreasonably" censored.

It appears to me that most moderators are not as active today as they were a few months ago. I hope they are not fed up because of a few bad apples.
__________________
Sam is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Dont agree with me.

It'll annoy SG.

Some people feel that any "censorship" is bad censorship.

My personal experience...nay...global fact (HAH HAH HAH)...says that if you ran a poll on this topic you'd have 95%+ of the board population feeling that the mods do a perfectly good job.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dont agree with me.

It'll annoy SG.
And your point is?
__________________
Sam is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Well taken.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
Administrator
Andy R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,175
sgeeeee,

You do indeed have an absolute right to free speech. However this forum is privately owned and requires members to abide by the simple rules that Dory posted here and by the decisions of our staff.

Please note this sentance:
Quote:
They don't take every opportunity to express their disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, and fan flames.
Based on your comments in post #4 of this thread it seems there are many things you do not like about ER.

If you are really so upset with the way things are managed here, the fact you can't edit your posts after 15 minutes or that you can't ignore the moderators, I encourage you to contact one of the many good web hosting companies out there and exercise your first amendment right to your heart's content.

There are very many wonderful members on this board and we really don't need for you to
take every opportunity to express their disagreement with something. I KNOW you all want to be able to edit your old post but we are not going to turn that feature back on because it gets abused, you don't need to bring this up anymore.

As for the topic at hand, I will talk with the team about allowing you to be able to ignore moderators. I doubt we will allow you to block admins but we might consider it for moderators.
__________________
Andy R is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Agreed.
I have no idea what the complainers are talking about. I wish they give specific detailed incidents in which they were "unreasonably" censored.
I didn't say I was censored, I want to censor them. Hence the
ignore list, in my case, Martha posted stupid pictures of her dog,
I don't have a fast connection, so having to download her pictures of
her dog takes a long time, I don't think that's too much to ask for the
moderators not to be posting pictures of their dog in a health forum.
If it was a binaries forum, then go for it.
I got slammed for asking, I guess everybody has broadband and thinks
pictures of dog with lettuce on its head is funny. It was suppose to
be a slam against MKLD, yea whatever, I just prefer to block Martha
and anybody else that posts pictures to save me time.
If there is no way to do it, fine, but I'm guessing its just a configuration
flag somewhere in some INI file.
TJ
__________________
teejayevans is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Downloading big files like photos over a dialup connection stinks. You do however have a choice to make about your internet connection speed and you've chosen a slow connection at a low cost. Thats a tradeoff you've made.

The web is a multimedia place these days. There are pictures, sounds, along with good old text.

Its already been explained how to disable all the pictures from automatically downloading. That should suffice to solve the primary problem you're experiencing.

As far as the photos, I found them very funny and quite appropriate for the way the thread had turned. In fact, I'd like them to be displayed two times, and twice as large. With more lettuce please.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #17
Administrator
Andy R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Martha posted stupid pictures of her dog,
I don't have a fast connection, so having to download her pictures of
her dog takes a long time, I don't think that's too much to ask for the
moderators not to be posting pictures of their dog in a health forum.

I got slammed for asking, I guess everybody has broadband and thinks
pictures of dog with lettuce on its head is funny. It was suppose to
be a slam against MKLD, yea whatever, I just prefer to block Martha
and anybody else that posts pictures to save me time.
If there is no way to do it, fine, but I'm guessing its just a configuration
flag somewhere in some INI file.
TJ
Easy there, you are getting a little fired up. We can all have a reasonable and courteous conversation here.

Thanks for letting us know your reason, now we can offer you an explanation and a solution.

The reason you can't block moderators (at this point) is because they might post information about how the community is managed that you might need to read. If they were blocked then you would miss the message and that would not work. I will talk to them about allowing mods to be blocked and only having admins post important messages but I suspect things will remain the same.

As for your issue with your slow internet connection. I would recommend you disable the images feature of the forum software (see attachment). I would also recommend that you check to see if your browser has an option to turn images off (to leverage that across many sites). Lastly you might want to consider this tool from Google which speeds up your experience by caching images.
Google Web Accelerator Download
Attached Images
File Type: gif visual options.gif (2.9 KB, 6 views)
__________________
Andy R is offline  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 21,810
I don't want to appear to be sucking up to the moderators, but I also think they do a good job. Obviously they get something out of it. Altruistic expression, dominance, whatever. Everybody needs to get some reward for doing whatever they do; and a reward should be given.

An interesting thing about the board is that over the past year or so it has morphed into a place where you have to be fairly clever if you want to get away with trolling. You will be allowed quite a bit of troll line, as long as you understand the form well.

It's a pleasure to observe.

ha
__________________
haha is online now  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
...The reason you can't block moderators (at this point) is because they might post information about how the community is managed that you might need to read. If they were blocked then you would miss the message and that would not work...
Most of the time mods are just participating as civilians like everyone else, so I would hope their message won't be privileged by not allowing someone to block them like all the other civilians here.

In the case when they do need to use their blow horn, I see no problem in making those messages visible to all by allowing them to pierce through all blocks. I think most mods here do a great job, but I would like the option of blocking the non-mod type posts made by the mods if I find a mod is annoying in his everyday postings.

The few people I put on my ignore list already made coming to this site more of a pleasant experience in that I can avoid seeing the non-ER postings, like the political and religious rantings. Although I also wish any new topics started by these people would also be removed from my view, but one issue at a time.
__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline  
Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Obviously they get something out of it. Altruistic expression, dominance, whatever. Everybody needs to get some reward for doing whatever they do; and a reward should be given.
My reward is that I can read this board without having to wade through the crap that's infected Yahoo!, TMF, most of M*, & Greaney's board. If I have to be a moderator to help make that happen then I'm happy to spend some time on it. I spent enough of my submarine time wading through crap with far less of a reward.

Of course the "responsibility" that goes along with those "privileges" is that we can't put any of you guys on our own ignore lists. There's only a few of us and thousands of you. If I stepped down from moderator to be able to add a few choice posters to my ignore list then I'd feel like I wasn't helping the rest of the mods do what's perceived by some to be an unpopular job. And CFB is right-- I'm not going to start up a second account and keep switching between the two.

Of course we moderators could choose to "share the burden" of our ignore lists by making sure that someone who's ignored by one moderator is paid extra attention by another. Even with that arrangement I'm sure that money would have to change hands to keep a few of you from being added to every moderator's ignore list.

IMO participation on this board carries an obligation to keep it a nice place by making a contribution. It can be a financial contribution to FIRECalc, a temporal contribution as a moderator, or an extra effort to greet newbies and to help answer questions. But using this board as a place to rant & raise a ruckus, whether it's something that people care about or just your personal jihad, is immature & irresponsible. If you want to throw spitballs then go start yourself a blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
An interesting thing about the board is that over the past year or so it has morphed into a place where you have to be fairly clever if you want to get away with trolling. You will be allowed quite a bit of troll line, as long as you understand the form well.
Another way to say it is that you have to be so much of a blatant troll that even a moderator would be able to tell!

The moderator decisions are made largely on the basis of user feedback. User feedback is kept private so that users aren't intimidated into keeping quiet. If you have a problem with a poster, tell a moderator or an admin. Your feedback probably won't get them moderated or banned all by itself, but just like flagging Craigslist ads you could also be that critical xxth user's feedback that pushes them over the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It's a pleasure to observe.
Hey, we're here to keep it that way...
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blocking the Ads on This Forum TromboneAl Forum Admin 14 05-24-2007 04:38 PM
A request to the moderators greg Other topics 4 12-02-2005 03:52 PM
Challenge of the Moderators (Video) BigMoneyJim Other topics 0 09-28-2005 03:41 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.