Join Early Retirement Today

Blocking the Ads on This Forum
Old 05-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Blocking the Ads on This Forum

I'm working on the best way to block the Google ads from appearing when I use the forum. Over half of the vertical area of my IE window is taken up by the ads, menus, etc., and that makes the forum a lot less usable for me.

It's one thing for Andy to make a lot of money from the content that we provide. I understand that it takes time and effort to maintain a forum, so that's a reasonable trade-off. But when the experience suffers due to the ads, that's a different story.

I've tried using the HOSTS method of blocking (click here), and it blocks the ad but then redirects me to a page because it can't find the ad.

Anyone got a good ad blocker that works here?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I personally use a little program called proxomitron. it is a proxy acting as an http filter.
you can still be downloaded it but it is not maintained. it sometimes blocks some things I want to do and I have to bypass it.
other than that it works great for me.
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Peri. I might try that, but in the meantime, this is one solution:

The HOSTS solution above didn't work because Dell's adware that is preinstalled automatically sends you to one of their sites (in conjunction with Google) every time you access a URL that doesn't exist.

You can prevent that with info from this page.

That doesn't give you back the space that the ads take up, but because you always see the same error message, it is less distracting (for me at least). The ads are designed to divert your attention, the error message is not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AdBlocked.jpg (40.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

With the old software, on my screen you could see the titles of nine threads.

With the new software, you can only see six.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'd suggest proxomitron as well. Firefox allegedly has some plugin stuff, but i'm so used to tuning out ads on other sites that I hadnt even noticed these.

You might also try a 32" monitor.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
I'm working on the best way to block the Google ads from appearing when I use the forum. Over half of the vertical area of my IE window is taken up by the ads, menus, etc., and that makes the forum a lot less usable for me.

It's one thing for Andy to make a lot of money from the content that we provide. I understand that it takes time and effort to maintain a forum, so that's a reasonable trade-off. But when the experience suffers due to the ads, that's a different story.

I've tried using the HOSTS method of blocking (click here), and it blocks the ad but then redirects me to a page because it can't find the ad.

Anyone got a good ad blocker that works here?
Al - I use Firefox with the AdblockPlus extension - I see no ads now.....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Administrator

Just so you know, the headers are the same size, attached is a screen shot of each forum software. You can see there nearly no difference in the amount of vertical space taken by the new design.

As for the amount of posts you can see on one page, the show thread is laid out a little differently and each row indeed does take up about 20% more space.

Just look on the bright site, the site costs less then a dryer sheet to use, and you get to share so much information for FREE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headers.jpg (54.5 KB, 4 views)
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

That adblockplus was easy to install and seems to do a great job.

Andy - lots of luck trying to pump sunshine about ads to a bunch of grumpy old rich people
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I guess I just have a very anti-ad bias. I apparently inherited this, because I remember in 1960, that my grandmother would always get up and turn down the volume on the TV during the commercials.

On television, nearly one-third of the time is devoted to commercials. For example, an episode of "Lost" is only 42 minutes long. But that's not enough, many channels also have advertising at the bottom of the screen, designed to divert your attention away from the show you're watching. In addition there are product placements, and Jay Leno's "Take a look at the new Toyota Prius" that sits in the outdoor audience during the musical presentation.

If I'm on hold for tech support, I have to listen to advertisements. My tracfone sometimes beeps to ask me to look at an advertisement. There are some nice views around here that are blocked by billboards.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm now a Firefoxer! Adblock not only lets me get rid of the ads, but the other unwanted images too! Thanks for the tip.

WithNoAds.jpg
Old 05-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Administrator

Maybe Firefox should partner with Burger King so they can share the slogan "Have it your way!"
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
Well, I'm now a Firefoxer! Adblock not only lets me get rid of the ads, but the other unwanted images too! Thanks for the tip.
Now I Just need to convince my boss to let me run firefox on my computer at work so that when Im browsing the Early Retirement Forums I dont have to look at the annoying adds.
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Same screen but with the ads:

WithAds.jpg
Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where are the ads? I seem to be missing them...
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Where are the ads? I seem to be missing them...
Hey hey hey, sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote