Join Early Retirement Today

"Canadian Only" Subgroup or Topics
Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

"Canadian Only" Subgroup or Topics

As a Canadian, our retirement needs are somewhat different (like health care & finance rules).

Much of what I'm reading is more American based and so some of the calculations or comments don't fully or accurately apply.

Would it not make sense to have a Canadian sub-forum?

Thanks!

E86S54
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or maybe a separate one for those from Quebec..
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Or maybe a separate one for those from Quebec..
And break it down further based on where you park your Ski-Doo! One for those who park in the yard, one for those who park on the porch and one for those who park in the living room
Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well if you get your own forum sub-group, we want one just for Southerners...where we can talk about grits and NASCAR and properly worded wedding invitations that aren't, you know, tacky.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Well if you get your own forum sub-group, we want one just for Southerners...where we can talk about grits and NASCAR and properly worded wedding invitations that aren't, you know, tacky.
OK, if that made sense. But what I'm saying is, how would you feel if 60% of everything you read on this forum is not really applicable. On the topic of finance, I would raise that to 80%. So perhaps you can see where I'm coming from.

Lastly, I participate on about 8 different forums on many topics from business to hobbies. 7 out of 8 have the subgroups broken down in areas...like South-West, North-East, Canada, EU, etc. That way it makes it easier for people to pinpoint what is most relevant and thus makes the board easier to use (and that should drive more traffic to your site and thus revenues) and allow advertisers to target their audience better.

It's a great board that could be made better and would not really cost you anything to do! Sounds like a no brainer.

E86S54
Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sarah, they are very sensitive up there. You should be more careful. And for heaven's sake, don't make fun of the Queen, the marijuana leaf on the flag, or suggest that the government would require that any Canadian subforum be translated into English and French.

e86s54,
Sorry, you'll probably be subjected to a few more wise*ss jabs before someone in authority gives you a real answer to your good question.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

e86s54, have you ever been south of the Mason-Dixon line? Not only do they want their own forum, they wanted their own country about 150 years ago .
Old 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
e86s54, have you ever been south of the Mason-Dixon line? Not only do they want their own forum, they wanted their own country about 150 years ago .
Where I live, we HAD our own country 170 years ago...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Sarah, they are very sensitive up there. You should be more careful. And for heaven's sake, don't make fun of the Queen, the marijuana leaf on the flag, or suggest that the government would require that any Canadian subforum be translated into English and French.

e86s54,
Sorry, you'll probably be subjected to a few more wise*ss jabs before someone in authority gives you a real answer to your good question.
Sam, you SO busted me...I thought that if my first joke went over so well, another one was likely to meet the same fate. Sometimes it is hard to remember that I am potentially "someone in authority"...egad!

But seriously, it is a good suggestion. Stand by for the more mature among us to reply in a more professional way.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
And for heaven's sake, don't make fun of.......... the marijuana leaf on the flag,
We're proud of that. Canada's economy has a large agricultural component and marijuana is our largest cash crop (by value).
Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Oh no, another secessionist threat in the making....
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

OP, You could set up a group from your profile page, I've seen a couple of those for other sub-topics but they tend to be inactive.

Sometimes members set up threads for Canadian topics, for instance:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...sts-35576.html

I recall another thread I couldn't find by searching here, I believe it was about Canadian investment picks but IIRC, it went dormant a long time ago.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In my experience, where you live will always be its own country
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, maybe you haven't heard the news . . .

Texas Constructs U.S. Border Wall To Keep Out Unwanted Americans

The Texas-U.S. border wall will protect Texans from foreigners who do not share their beliefs and customs.

Quote:
WICHITA FALLS, TX—Calling it an essential step toward securing the Texas border and protecting his people's way of life, Gov. Rick Perry announced Tuesday the completion of a 1,953-mile wall designed to keep out millions of unwanted Americans.
ccording to Perry, the 75-foot-high barricade running along the northern boundary is the culmination of more than 160 years of escalating tensions between Texas and the United States.
Though a protective barrier has been under consideration for decades, the Texas Legislature voted unanimously to begin construction on the project immediately following the 2008 presidential election.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Sam, you are a bad one! That is from the Onion.com, which is way funnier than the real news!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, maybe you haven't heard the news . . .

Texas Constructs U.S. Border Wall To Keep Out Unwanted Americans
You suckered me right in.
I was not sure if this was real or fake until I noticed the location of the red line on the map, i.e. the northern border.
Now, can I interest you in buying a real nice bridge ?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I thought there was going to be a wall through the middle of Austin for the US/non-US areas. And the capitol is moving to Comfort.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow...I just realized that I'm posting on a forum of people with time on their hands! I can't believe how quickly this one got out of hand. Sarah...my second post was a joke too...I guess we need to work on them.

Back to lurking (AKA not working).

E86S54
Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It takes us no time at all to get out of hand, e86. You should see what happens when someone mention bacon. Or pancakes. Or god forbid, wheat bread. Lots of time on our hands!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Sam, you are a bad one! That is from the Onion.com, which is way funnier than the real news!
Check again, it is real (in my head), anyway, it works for me, that is, in summer. I don't even venture off as far as Sact'o or Stockton in summer.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote