Join Early Retirement Today

Can't jump to first unread post today (Firefox)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can't jump to first unread post today (Firefox)

Did something change today? There isn't that little triangle pointing down to a line image in front of any threads, that would let me jump to the first unread thread when I view the forums in Firefox. I see them in IE. This happened a few weeks ago for a week or two, then one day it was back to normal. Until today.

I also don't see the New Thread button in Firefox, but I see that in IE too. I am looking at identical pages, the Forum Admin subforum Forum Admin - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community. Same result no matter which subforum I'm looking in, and likewise the jump to new posts thing is gone no matter what page I'm looking at threads on.

Also missing is whatever icon is in the first column, which is a little orangish/red envelope image with a lock on it for locked threads. The column is there in firefox but it's always empty.

I'll note that in Firefox I've got NoScript, ghostery and Adblock running, which I don't in IE. But all I block are things like doubleclick.net and quantserve.com. I didn't change anything when it suddenly started working last time, nor did I change anything when it stopped today. Logging out and back in didn't help.

I can use IE but it's a pain to use 2 browsers and I like the security stuff I have setup with Firefox.

Running Windows 8 on my laptop if that matters.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you logged in?
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yes, as I said:

Quote:
Logging out and back in didn't help.

Can an admin or someone who knows what's going on under the hood respond? Clearly something changed yesterday, and it's not the first time. The symptoms started in the middle of the day and I really don't think it was something on my end. I was hoping that by reporting it immediately someone might remember making some sort of change.

Am I the only one seeing this? I even paused blocking on ghostery and let everything through on NoScript this morning, no change.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
Administrator

Try logging out, clearing cache and browsing history, closing the browser, then reopen and log back in. This has worked for me.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That didn't work. To be clear, the problem isn't that I try to jump to the first unread post and it doesn't take me there; it's that I don't even see the icon to click that gives me the option to go to that post.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Administrator

I reported the issue.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I also just tried a reboot but no change.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

And it's Firefox 39.0
Old 07-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #9

Sorry - should have read your post more closely.

FWIW, I'm running Firefox 39.0 with NoScript on Windows 8.1 and I don't have this issue.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Good to know, I was wondering if anyone with a similar environment had the problem. Must be something on my end, but it doesn't seem like a resource problem since a clear cache/history and a reboot didn't fix it.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Good to know, I was wondering if anyone with a similar environment had the problem. Must be something on my end, but it doesn't seem like a resource problem since a clear cache/history and a reboot didn't fix it.
It may not be on your end, there have been some recent forum SW issues still being worked on.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Administrator

Is there any chance you've changed your cookie handling scheme in your browser settings? We use cookies to 'remember' what is new to you, to keep you logged in and various other things. if you are clearing them at the end of your session this may be the issue.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Is there any chance you've changed your cookie handling scheme in your browser settings? We use cookies to 'remember' what is new to you, to keep you logged in and various other things. if you are clearing them at the end of your session this may be the issue.
No, I changed nothing as far as I know, certainly not that. I don't clear cookie in my browser when exiting or anything like that. I cleared my cache at MichaelB's suggestion after reporting the problem, but no change.

Now I don't even see the buttons on the bottom of each post (Thanks, Quote, Multi+, Quick). I think I saw them before. Can't guarantee it. I have to go to IE to quote a post.

As I said before, it's not that my last post viewed isn't being remembered, it's that I don't even see the option to see the last post, nor am I seeing many of the buttons normally views. I am still logged in. Logging out and back in does not change anything.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It all just came back to normal just now. I know that earlier in the day it was not. Something changed back in the last 6 hours. I don't believe anything on my end changed...did not reboot, stop Firefox, clear any cache, or anything like that.

So, something changed somewhere on 7/30 to break things on Firefox for me, and changed back or at least changed for the better on 8/3.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It has happened again. I think it was normal about 730 eastern time this morning, now I have all the same symptoms as before. See my posts #1 and #13 for those symptoms. Only difference is that I'm now running Firefox 43.0.4, but that is not a recent change. I've changed nothing since yesterday. I tried logging in and back out but that didn't help.

Everything seems normal on MS IE, but Firefox is my preferred browser.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #16

If you are not seeing the buttons that sounds like it is having an issue with html coding.

Try starting firefox in safe mode and see if changes behavior, some addon or script maybe interfering

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...sing-safe-mode

Something similar on the mozilla forums reports it to be a corrupted font... might check it

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1029255
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
If you are not seeing the buttons that sounds like it is having an issue with html coding.

Try starting firefox in safe mode and see if changes behavior, some addon or script maybe interfering

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...sing-safe-mode

Something similar on the mozilla forums reports it to be a corrupted font... might check it

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1029255
No change in safe mode.

No corrupted fonts using the browserspy link in the chosen solution of the link you posted, and changing the options to not let the web page override my fonts did not either. I tried the inspect tool but I'm not sure exactly what to look at. I see this in front of a thread where I would expect to be able to jump to my last post in a thread but I don't know what it should have inside this tag and why it seems to have nothing.
Quote:
<!-- Jump to Your Last Post in a Thread -->
<!-- /Jump to Your Last Post in a Thread -->
Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #18

No problem with Firefox 43.0.4 although about an hour ago I got a "server down" when I tried to log on. Everything working well now.