Join Early Retirement Today

Could blog space be added, please?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Could blog space be added, please?

I would like to start blogging about specific savings/retirement issues, but don't see a blogging place for this as I do on other forums. Could this feature be added to e-r.org? Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, you could start a thread, and we could have a conversation. We like having conversations! If you want to develop your own blog, you could provide a link to it in the thread. Unless it's primarily an ad, which is frowned upon.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateCitizen View Post
I would like to start blogging about specific savings/retirement issues, but don't see a blogging place for this as I do on other forums. Could this feature be added to e-r.org? Thanks.
I always have difficulty when nouns are used as a verb. Could you direct me to a few of those "other forums" so I can understand how "blogging" is (or would be) used in this context?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ron, do you want me to Google that for you?

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I think he means something like this? It's a separate section in the forum.

Weight Loss Journals - Low Carb Friends

I have a blog myself that I started up a couple of months ago just to track my spending, thought processes, etc. and to look back and see how stupid I was. I think I have all of 5 readers and I have no clue about why they go there since it's not very entertaining. I put a link in my profile, but I suppose if someone wanted lots of comments and feedback, they could put a link in their signature line?

I think there are too many sites out there (Get Rich Slowly, The Simple Dollar, Wise Bread) that are very popular PF blogs that focus too much on getting out of debt, written by people that won't be able to retire any time in the foreseeable future and are blogging for a paycheque. They also definitely don't have the perspective of focusing on increasing your income as one of the best strategies for retiring early.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
We like having conversations! If you want to develop your own blog, you could provide a link to it in the thread.
Yes, I prefer having a dialog to reading a monologue or a diatribe. I have only recently read some blogs on RV as I was in the process of educating myself on this subject, but as I know more about it, the novelty is wearing off. On the other hand, it is hard to predict what will happen in a forum like this!

Quote:
I would like to start blogging...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I always have difficulty when nouns are used as a verb.
As blog is an invented word, it can be invented as a verb too.

Oops, I just look at webster.com, which shows "blog" as a noun coming into being in 1999. Why, I just learned of this word a couple of years ago.

Engineers are notorious for using nouns as verbs. I myself try not to.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."
- Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. Through the Looking Glass.
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. - William Jefferson Clinton
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hey, maybe we can start a vlog, or even a vlogblog:
VLOG BLOG - Vlogging Video Blogging
Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Video? Me?
No, my lady, you go first!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Clearly, I'm wasting my time here asking about blogs.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Administrator

There are plenty of free blogging sites, and you are welcome to put the link to your blog in your profile. Please refrain from blog spamming in posts or signature.

Our Community Rules state,

Quote:
"Blog Spamming" is prohibited. A determination of whether any particular instance constitutes blog spamming shall be at the sole discretion of the moderators
Old 01-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
http://www.blogger.com/home

You can do more with it and link it to whatever forums you enjoy. It's really a better solution IMO.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, you wouldn't want to... uh ... say, converse.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was going to start blogging for the Aviation Museum where I volunteer. I wrote a couple blogs and I realized the two problems I have with blogging.

I am lousy at proofreading my own work, and the semi-permanent nature of a blog, is less forgiving of grammatical errors. Second and more importantly, blogging is inherently an uneven communication. The blogger owner is the top dog and even in the somewhat unusual situation when there is a real dialogue going on in a blog, the blogger opinions get more weight.

A forum is much more egalitarian. In this forum the moderators posts aren't treated differently than anyone else. It is what you know and how you say it that matters, not some title like moderator or blog owner.

So I am happy to read someone blog if they have some specific knowledge or opinion that I find valuable, but for discussion I'll stick with the Roman tradition of a forum.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
gone traveling

Most folks here don't blog on the first date...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
How about contributing to and becoming part of this very giving community?
Show that you have something worthwhile to say and people here will go to your blog irrespective of where you host it.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
heh-heh, we used to have a number of posters here who seemed to just want to say something (usually very opinionated), and then would not want to discuss it (they mostly posted in the soapbox when that opened). I suggested a few times that they get a blog so they can say what they want w/o "intrusion" from others.

That happens only occasionally now. I don't understand it, but whatever floats your boat. I can see blogs for documenting something, or acting as a "diary" for an ongoing process. I think the blog link in the profile is a good enough option. I think it is OK to add a note in your sig for something like "see my profile for a link to my blog and other stuff about me"? If you are interested, take a look - easy enough to avoid if that is not your thing. I'd probably take a look if the content and writing style of the poster was interesting to see if they had anything to offer in a "documentary" format.

-ERD50
Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'd probably take a look if the content and writing style of the poster was interesting to see if they had anything to offer in a "documentary" format.
...or not.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
...or not.
heh-heh-heh - true, that would probably be the default option for me But there are quite a number here that I would give a try. It could be interesting, as the "announcement" style could be be quite different from a "discussion" style. Maybe a different side of the poster would emerge.

OTOH, I already spend too much time at the computer

Doesn't Danny have a "diner" blog? OAP had an "interesting" one

-ERD50
Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Second and more importantly, blogging is inherently an uneven communication. The blogger owner is the top dog and even in the somewhat unusual situation when there is a real dialogue going on in a blog, the blogger opinions get more weight.
Years ago on this board, Dory gave H*cus his own forum to moderate. It was a short experiment and it came to an ugly end.

I think H* managed to hold out and be "fair and balanced" for almost 36 hours before he felt obliged to start editing/deleting people's posts to reflect what they really would have said if they truly understood what they were talking about...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Years ago on this board, Dory gave H*cus his own forum to moderate. It was a short experiment and it came to an ugly end.

I think H* managed to hold out and be "fair and balanced" for almost 36 hours before he felt obliged to start editing/deleting people's posts to reflect what they really would have said if they truly understood what they were talking about...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote