Join Early Retirement Today

CYA
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
Administrator

CYA

I understand why someone would want to include a CYA comment when answering a post asking for advice. It's hard to believe one could get into trouble - especially when posts are anonymous - but our culture is one of victims, blame and compensation, and doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Because all posters must register, couldn't there be a general CYA on registration - and wouldn't that be enough?

Just wondering...

Michael
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The answer is above my pay-grade - sorry.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of our resident attorney types will no doubt be along soon to enlighten.

It's shame that we live in a society in which judges and juries can't/won't look at a plaintiff and say:
Quote:
You listened to an anonymous person on the internet who gave you free advice, and then you acted solely on that advice rather than seeking out any credible source of information, and now you want us to make you whole because the anonymous guy led you astray.

We agree with your complaint. We'll have him email you a jpeg of some money, because that'll be worth as much as his advice was and exactly what you deserve.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
We agree with your complaint. We'll have him email you a jpeg of some money, because that'll be worth as much as his advice was and exactly what you deserve.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

how's that?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Administrator

From the Community Rules:

Do your own due diligence!
People who are professionals in a variety of fields post on this forum and share their general knowledge. Many of them are brilliant. Some are doofi.
Information obtained from professionals (or from anyone for that matter) who are participants in this forum should be not be relied on when making important life decisions. Their posts are not intended to be professional advice. Their posts may not be accurate, applicable or complete for your own unique situation.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I know that I tend to double CYA. It is the lawyer in me. Dory and I wrote the language above in the community rules. "Doofi" was his contribution.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My sig says it all.....
Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Start a new thread if you take the advice in my signature line. YMMV.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

this thread just BEGS the question... what exactly do you CYA with ?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The stories may be questionable and most are old, but in my field, there are quite a few anecdotes about suits brought against radio medical advice shows, columnists, and health writers. The more explicitly you disclaim everything the less likely the doofi will get you, or so it goes.

May or may not be true. Cost of the disclaimer: $.00. I also try to keep my responses general rather than telling someone what I think they should do. But I enjoy being helpful and keeping the content as accurate as I can. Many colleagues simply won't talk shop on the web in any form. Maybe they're right.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Many colleagues simply won't talk shop on the web in any form. Maybe they're right.
Or doofi...
Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
this thread just BEGS the question... what exactly do you CYA with ?

Which begs the following question:

When not actively engaged in CYA type posts, is your A UN-covered?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Which begs the following question:

When not actively engaged in CYA type posts, is your A UN-covered?

-ERD50
Only my hairdresser knows...

Sounds like a heck of a good idea, though. Summer is coming.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

You're more than welcome to c my a
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Some people will sue over the goofiest things. I was on a jury listening to the case of a woman who admittedly climbed over a construction barrier and crossed a broken up set of stairs to avoid a 30 yard detour at her apartment complex. She tripped and aggravated an existing bunion on her foot and chose to sue the landlord. Her doofus lawyer uttered the term "insurance" and a mistrial was called. The landlord's attorneys polled the jurors to see what we thought so far. About half of them were leaning toward at least covering her medical expenses since she did hurt herself. I told them I would refuse to give her one thin dime and if possible would propose that the judge award attorneys fees to the defense and compensation for us for being bothered with such a frivolous claim. That's the category that a claim against posters in an anonymous internet forum falls in.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lawsuits by inmates are sources of hilarity. Usually handwritten in print that is so small you need a magnifying glass to make it out, they are so full of arcane language that even the average lawyer can't understand it, and they make reference to a million conflicting precedents including the Magna Carta.

I was sued once for being too nice. Really, I got the guy to give a written confession to half a dozen felonies by such horrible tactics as buying him a couple of cokes and letting him smoke some of my cigarettes. He claimed that this evil tactic on my part was deceptive and violated three-quarters of the Bill of Rights. It was over 100 pages of micro-writing that actually quoted Lincoln, the Magna Carta, the Mayflower Compact, and something he claimed came from ancient Sumeria that nobody ever heard of. An inmate with too much time on his hands, armed with a pencil and daily visits to the prison law library can produce hilarious results.

Society has a lot of people who are never responsible for their own actions. It's always the fault of someone else.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Also, you're not as anonymous as you think you are.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You're more than welcome to c my a
Confiscate your assets? I'll be right over. Mine have taken a big hit and need some help.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote