Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Aren't you just proposing to divide the forum into many more precise subjects than what there is today?
Best of the Boards / Forum Admin / Hi, I am... / FIRE and Money / Life after FIRE / Health and Early Retirement / Young Dreamers / Other topics

This is a Forum after all and any new contribution comes with a different twist. Would you prefer managing and reading a blog it is also an option.

I personally like when an old question pops up again and I find it helpful when an old question is brought back to the front burner.
I was recently searching for old threads about cheap cell phone service and I was afraid to ask the same question yet again. It took me quite a while before finding the information but I finally did. If I'd asked I am sure a good samaritan would have popped the answer within 10 minutes...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova View Post
I was recently searching for old threads about cheap cell phone service and I was afraid to ask the same question yet again. It took me quite a while before finding the information but I finally did. If I'd asked I am sure a good samaritan would have popped the answer within 10 minutes...
I think what's being proposed is a tool which may allow you to find the information yourself instead of doing a lengthy search or having to ask, then wait for a good Samaritan to show up for duty.

Some of us are looking forward to the introduction of this tool since it's rumored the good Samaritan union is demanding improved wages and benefits and may even be considering a work slowdown.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...derailed by obtuse interjections.
Uh oh...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Uh oh...
Oh, but it's OK if intentionally obtuse or light hearted threads get interjected, or even an occasional interjection into serious threads.

But when the serious threads get derailed, time to start a new thread.

Geez, you guys think I don't know how to have fun

-ERD50
Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Oh, but it's OK if intentionally obtuse or light hearted threads get interjected, or even an occasional interjection into serious threads.

But when the serious threads get derailed, time to start a new thread.

Geez, you guys think I don't know how to have fun

-ERD50
Did I forget the ?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #26
gone traveling

These dang new posters keep spouting off or asking questions on subjects that we've discussed a million times, only we did it better and in less space

Seems like the easier solution would to be ban new posters. Obviously the new ones are blowhards of limited intelligence. It's apparent that all attempts to coeirce group think has failed. Are we so positive that a new hierarchy will resolve the issue or will we just be submiting to a new beauracracy?

Could the easier solution be for US, the better and brighter, to resolve to not participate in redundant threads? Is it that hard to see a thread that we know we hold the complete set of wisdom and knowledge and "just say no". Can we overcome the guilt that these poor souls will suffer without OUR superior input but somehow struggle to their own hard fought decision, as wrong as it may be. How about just adding another tier? FIRE 101 and FIRE 201? Or a Special FIRE? (Think short bus)

Can't we just agree that Moderators are from Mars and Threads are from Venus and leave things alone.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, was that satire?

I like the idea of a FAQ, as long as it fits in Nords' 6-line sig.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #28

Sometimes, after searching does not bring up the answer looking for...one posts a new thread...close, but not quite what has been discussed previously.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
The BogleHeads forum is concise and mainly informational but, man, it is duller than watching paint dry. I almost never go there. Here people get more excited, have more fun, etc. Can you have it both ways?
No. If this forum manages to accomplish what it seems to be trying to accomplish, it will be just as boring as all those others that have way lower participation. And of course post counts will dwindle, as will ad-looks, as will revenue...

Humpty -Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty -Dumpty had a great fall
And all the King's horses
And all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

ha
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
No. If this forum manages to accomplish what it seems to be trying to accomplish, it will be just as boring as all those others that have way lower participation.
Ha, you ignorant slut.

I don't think so. The new rules have already inspired some pretty good civil disobedience. Don't you want to see how far you can push the mods?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Hey, was that satire?
Satire (from Latin satura, not from the Greek mythological figure satyr[1]) is a literary genre, chiefly literary and dramatic, in which human or individual vices, follies, abuses, or shortcomings are held up to censure by means of ridicule, derision, burlesque, irony, or other methods, sometimes with an intent to bring about improvement.[2] It is used in graphic arts and performing arts as well. Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, the purpose of satire is not primarily humour but criticism of an event, an individual or a group in a clever manner.

Hey, in what sense are you calling me clever, Greek, or mythological? Did we agree on a cut off date to define new poster? Actually I just didn't want to point out the obvious solution, IGNORE NEW POSTER button!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #32

The idea of a new forum to allow folks new to the forums to find some of the more commonly discussed topics instead of starting a whole new series of threads has been discussed before and a few new forums on the board were added to help in this matter (Best of The Board and creation of the current forums like Fire and Money, Other Topics, etc.).

I support the creation of a team of folks who would create a new forum area which would be populated with single ideas or discussion topics, i.e., Take SS before 65?, Pay Mortage or invest?, 72(t) or cash? etc. The team would work on collecting past posts related to the thread topic and linking them to the initial discussion topic. Nords has already volunteered to do this and I believe there are others here who would enjoy helping him out on this massive project. It would also help the newbees find these data and would ease the repetitive posting "eye glazing over" by the "old timers".

The moderators or anyone else could then refer a new question to this area as the first place to look for the desired information. If it is not in the FAQ section then the poster could ask the question in the appropriate forum.

I don't believe anyone is trying to prevent anyone from posting on the board; rather, the intent is to make it easier for folks to find information that has most likely already been fully discussed. If the topic areas change due to new laws or the like, then I have no doubt it will be fully discussed here and can then be linked to the FAQ for future reference.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'll kick it off then:

FAQ: Should I pay off, or accelerate the monthly payments on my mortgage?

Background: Many people are attracted to the idea of paying off their mortgage to be debt free. Is this always a good idea? Sorry, no easy answers - you need to judge for yourself. But the impact may be less than you think. Here are some things to think about.

CONSIDERATIONS:

1) Your Net Worth - While pre-paying a mortgage removes the debt, that money has to come from somewhere. Paying off a mortgage is moving money from one 'account' to another. The mere act of paying off a mortgage does not change your net worth. Same thing for accelerated payments. Those payments could go to a savings account rather than to your mortgage principal.

2) Taxes - Many people receive a tax deduction against the interest they pay on their mortgage. There are many factors here, tax code being what it is. To be certain, it is probably best to compute your taxes with and without the mortgage interest and compare. Also consider the impact of:

2a) Any taxable income generated by the money used to pay off the mortgage.

2b) The tax impacts of withdraws from deferred retirement accounts to pay the mortgage.

3) Interest Rate on the Mortgage - bla, bla, bla

4) Investment Rate of Return - bla, bla, bla

5) Liquidity - Pre-paying a mortgage can make that money harder to get to in an emergency. If kept in an account, some can be earmarked for liquid investments.

6) Simplification - One less bill to pay. No late fee to worry about if there is no bill!

7) Emotional Factors - Some people report a sense of emotional relief at being debt free. Others have trouble understanding this, as the actual financial difference may be small. Obviously a personal decision.

Summary: Taxes, mortgage interest rate, and rate of return on the invested money need to be considered to determine if a pre-pay is financially beneficial to you, and worth any loss of liquidity. Weigh this against any emotional concerns you have in this area.

Some of the discussions on this subject can be found here:

<insert links>
<insert links>

Tax Info:

<insert links>

If you would like to discuss this further, don't understand something, have anything to add, or disagree with anything, or just want to say 'thanks for the info', please start a new thread, and mention that you've been through the FAQ already.

We hope this was helpful to you.

Regards - From the posters at www.early-retirement.org

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, it could probably use some lightening up, but Mortgages just don't have that obvious element of excitement and controversy that lurks just below the surface of a thread about off tastes in dairy products. There's only so much to work with here folks

I suspect others can inject a little life into it - go at it!

At any rate - is it a start? Hey, throw it out if you don't like it - I have a thick skin when it comes to that. I ain't no lit-errr-arry gene-ee-u-s.

-ERD50
Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Andy, the mods, and I will be working on a beta. More next week.

If those of you on my Ignore Poster list think you have something constructive to contribute then kindly look up my e-mail address in my profile...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Ive seen the same thing in place over at FatWallet.com's financial forums.

Instead of people griping that they have already answered the question, they now gripe that the noob hasnt read the FAQs at the top of the first page.

Bottom line--very low probability of fixing the problem and only adds more work to people who already frequent the boards to reduce input from people who may grow into that role.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #36
Administrator

I have to admit that I am guilty of not searching enough when looking for info on a forum about Jeeps. I often have a question about maintenance or some other little fix and there are 600,000 posts in the Cherokee section alone of JeepForum.com. Now, I never post or even search, I go strait to the FAQ that they have put together (link) and search the page for maintenance.

I think these FAQs will be very valuable for many of our members (not just newbies). Once complied we will need to look at ways to promote them in very bold position for new members. A few ideas would be to include a link in the welcome email and welcome PMs. Another would be to add a bold link at the top of the page for people with no posts or even make it so that everyone can see the link but you can disable it from your UserCP. We can also add this to the new thread page to make sure people check the FAQs before starting a thread. Lastly when people do start a thread that has been covered by one of the FAQs we can have a standard response written that politely directs them to the FAQs.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post

I think these FAQs will be very valuable for many of our members (not just newbies).
Agree 100%. I'm not a newbie, I've read many of the threads on mortgage pay-offs for example, but the info is so scattered, opinions, numbers, and subsequent corrections and references make it tough to separate the wheat from the chaff. And I'm certain that many just give up in the process. I really think a FAQ can add value, and attract people to the site, and keep them here.

I'm in the 5th year of a 30 year, 5 years fixed 5% mortgage myself. I have not run the numbers, my 'gut' tells me 5% is 'cheap money'. But next year, if it goes up to 6%, I want to look at it in detail. A concise summary is going to help ensure I don't miss something.

Funny thing for me is, that 'emotional factor' is 180 degrees from others. If I decide to pay off that mortgage, it's going to 'hurt' to see my personal account (that I look at almost daily) 'down' by that dollar amount! It also takes me below a 'magic number' in that account (purely emotional), and more practically, may take me to a lower support level at that particular broker. But, if the numbers make sense, I'll get over it

Oh, and search functions are really fairly useless on forums like this. I also post to a hobby forum - same problem, there are only so many 'keywords' in the vocabulary of any forum dedicated to a specific topic. So searches just return too many posts to be of much use.

-ERD50
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #38

Not to ruffle any feathers or anything, but who will hold the copyright to this FAQ?

BTW, I think Jeep maintenance is a little different than ER. I'd be much more worried about biases creeping into an ER FAQ, but I still think it's useful, and I appreciate the future effort.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agree 100%. I'm not a newbie, I've read many of the threads on mortgage pay-offs for example, but the info is so scattered, opinions, numbers, and subsequent corrections and references make it tough to separate the wheat from the chaff.
-ERD50
This is hard to understand. Since God doesn't post on this board (well, gods maybe, but not God) it will alway be only opinions and numbers. What else is there?

Ha
Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
... but I still think it's useful, and I appreciate the future effort.
Me too! It will employ idle hands that might otherwise find their way to The Devil's Workshop.

Ha