Don't Feed the GDed Trolls

Translation - anyone who does not agree totally with everything twaddles says.

Fine sir, I enjoy it when people disagree with what I say. That's the only way I can learn.

Your complaint was with the way I *sound*. Sorry, but that's your perceptual problem.

FWIW, the "can I take my content with me" wasn't so much a crybaby thing as a real question. We contribute our content freely to this site so that AndyR can make some moolah. Does it seem fair to let him continue making moolah from you if you no longer need his services?

FWIW,
I think that my not having to pay some kind of subscription here makes it okay for AndyR to generate some ad revenue from the forum. But then again, I don't think that I say anything valuable enough that someone would pay me for it, anyway!
It would be flattering to think that my content is worth something! But I seriously doubt it, and I'm pretty glad that AndyR and Dory before him created this awesome place for me to visit. It is a good thing that it (hopefully) pays for itself.

So, you're basically saying that there really are trolls -- people whose intent is only to disrupt a forum. I agree, but I find they are extremely rare. We certainly don't encounter them here on a frequent basis.

My problem is with the extension of "troll" to anybody who doesn't agree with you (check the length of some of those ignore lists). And the way they are confronted.

BTW, what do you think of my new "internet putz" -- somebody who engages in ad hominem attacks? I hope it catches on. ;)

Not sure we’re on the same page, but I will say that regarding those two suspected trolls, I could not read their styles, my eyes instinctively lifted off the page.

Yeah, the public confrontation is a problem. If I wanted to stop someone I think is troll (hasn't happened yet); I think I would bring it to the attention of admin and then accept their decision.

Fine sir, I enjoy it when people disagree with what I say. That's the only way I can learn.

Your complaint was with the way I *sound*. Sorry, but that's your perceptual problem.

FWIW, the "can I take my content with me" wasn't so much a crybaby thing as a real question. We contribute our content freely to this site so that AndyR can make some moolah. Does it seem fair to let him continue making moolah from you if you no longer need his services?

That's why I'm hoping "internet putz" becomes a big hit catch phrase. Can you imagine the royalties? Ca-ching! :)

I do agree with you on some of your points, but not all of them. I believe people should be polite to one another and they should not be condemned unless they are known threat to the well being of this forum. However, you violate that yourself by using a picture of some maniac to poke fun at those who do not agree with everything you say.

Did you start your crusade because of the treatment given to Andy H? In my opinion, he started as being pompous without any real substance to contribute in the original post. However, I thought he was treated too harsh right out of the gate. But Andy H did not do much to help his cause. I would have liked to see him still around to either prove or disapprove himself.

Since I am new to these forum things, I trust the moderators know much more the rest of us about picking out a skunk in the works (did not use the word Troll).

If you were to re-address all your posts on this thread you might realize you are not as virtuous as you would like to believe.

You're right that I'm not virtuous. In fact, I felt uncomfortable taking on this "crusade" precisely because I am one of the most annoying people on this site.

There wasn't one specific instance that set me off. But there have been several unpleasant threads on this site lately, and I do believe that it's sort of a virus with more and more members here becoming infected.

The tipping point for me came when the beagle tried to call out yet another troll on this very thread, but it could have been anybody at that point. I was becoming disenchanted with this place.

It may be vanity, but I think my rant actually helped. I've seen some stellar behavior recently. :)

I have been off and on this board for about two years. It seems to me the only time I have seen it get personal is when post get political. I never had the pleasure of reading JG's post so I don't have a clue what he got banned/run off for.

It seems to me, you could or should moderate the financial/health/retirement sections, to insure information presented is true. Then let the 'other topics' run mod free. Or start a section 'No Moderator - Enter at your own Risk!"

You're right that I'm not virtuous. In fact, I felt uncomfortable taking on this "crusade" precisely because I am one of the most annoying people on this site.
:)

I told you I agreed with some of your points. This is one them. :D

We tried that already. H05uc almost ran everyone else off.

After reviewing what H05uc put out I totally agree he had to go for the preservation of the forum. Unfamiliar with what JG was doing to put a burr under someone's saddle, but I trust there was just cause. Have not heard of anyone else being banned.

There has been a handful - I think about six total, including the guy who was banned about a year ago, rejoined as "jumpstart" and was found out by beagle on this thread that twaddle is referring to. Beagle also reported this person to the moderator group, and upon investigation, we determined it to be a match and re-banned him. The person involved engaged in numerous profanity laden attacks on other posters and had caused numerous posters to ask for a banning or censoring via PM to the moderators.

This is typical of the threshold a poster has to reach to get banned. We've never banned anyone for ticking off a moderator, it's always, "by public acclaim".

The tipping point for me came when the beagle tried to call out yet another troll on this very thread, but it could have been anybody at that point. I was becoming disenchanted with this place.
I didnt "try" to...I did...;)

I didn't read much of the post/thread that started all this. I thought it was a plug for dividend growth investing. I think DG investing is a reasonable option and nobody jumps on Cycling_investor for advocating it.
What am I missing?

Sorry folks, I stumbled on this site: Retire Early Home Page - Index

Now I know where you're coming from.

The reason you contribute is so AndyR can make money? That's a new one. I contribute out of interest, entertainment and education. I could just lurk and read, but I believe if I can give reasonable answers to others' questions, they will be more likely return the favor to me, and we'll all get something out of it.

Perhaps AndyR set up this site to make money, or perhaps he set it up for his own interests, and found advertisers so he could covers his costs and maybe compensate for his time. I have no idea how big of a moolah maker this is for him. If he can make money off my posts that I've freely contributed of my own accord, good for him, and it sounds perfectly fair to me that any of my old posts, which certainly have diminishing value with time, if they ever had any. And the ads do not get in my way, so I appreciate the free service.

I see nothing in the registration section that gives him the rights to your posts, so if you want to leave and delete them, that's your right. If you really think it's worth your while. I'm not sure the site would suffer too much without them. I don't think you have any right to demand he delete them for you, though I suspect it's not that hard for him or a moderator to do if they wanted to accomodate you.

I think I understand your overall point (who couldn't with how many times you've repeated it), and agree somewhat, except I like how these forums are more spam and attack free than most sites I've seen. So I don't mind the early detection of posters who have been banned before, and it seems that much of it has been on target. I haven't been here that long to know all the issues, but I don't see a problem with how this site is run and moderated.

I think I understand your overall point (who couldn't with how many times you've repeated it)

Hey, I was actually done making my point about 10 pages ago, but then somebody would come along and say "so you're saying...." and I'd feel obligated to correct them. :)

I was hoping AndyR would clarify some copyright issues for me. My impression is that we users hold copyrights for our individual works. When the site changed ownership, AndyR would have liked us to grant him a license to distribute our works. But we never really did, and certainly not for the content prior to the ownership change.

In other words, I just wanted to yank his chain. :)

We have learned that this can be a risky pastime, if you enjoy posting here.

Ha

Yep - if you post - you not only don't own squat but you may not have said what you thought you said.

Luckily Mr Greaney out of the goodness of his heart - has provided a place on his forum so the H man can explain what you really meant when you said what you 'thought' you said.

Now - time for swearing and invective:

$3180 state and federal estimated tax, Dividend stocks suck!, dang foreigners!, National Grid booo!, I gotta pay by 9/17 and my 'Merger check is in the mail.'

And the Saints got STOMPED!, Stomped mind you by Tampa Bay.

Let's all come to Bernstein and TWD - google up 'The 15 Stock Diversification Myth'. And dump those DRIP's!

heh heh heh - maybe div stocks will look better tomorrow. :rant:

kurtoskewness my butt!

Last edited:
Yeah, probably not the best idea...to poke the new management with a stick....I for one, welcome the new robot overlords....;)

I forgot to thank you for that one, UM. I have my estimated taxes paid via the EFTPS, and it was linked to an account that didn't have enough cash balance to pay the taxes. I ran out the door as soon as you posted, and deposited some more money in that account so the EFT doesn't bounce to the IRS on Monday....

Back
Top Bottom