Don't feed the trolls!

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
From one of my favorite YouTube channels, SciShow, a piece on the psychology of online trolling. It's worth saying again how much I appreciate the work of the moderators on the forum!

Someone called me "Obvious Troll Is Obvious" once, when all I did was ask a question with no agenda except to understand. I guess the saying "There are no dumb questions" isn't always true.

That's a really good explanation of trolling - thanks for posting!

Yes, a good explanation and as Meadbh said, it makes me grateful for the mods here. I've noticed that some of the closed threads here seem predictive in nature i.e. the mods don't always wait until things begin to get ugly - they will occasionally close a thread down when it is showing signs that things could well go south, if given half a chance. This preemptive approach might cause some to become peeved from time to time, but I'd much rather have the odd peeved fellow forum member than the kind of mayhem (or even partial mayhem) that other boards experience.

Three cheers for the mods. Hip hip........

Last edited:
You know I've been kindly disciplined by the mods a couple times and quickly learned the rules. I am most grateful for them. I find this forum a haven of decency and good will because of the mods. I say this by way of comparison with another forum I frequent (on house issues, remodeling, decorating, etc) that has a way of devolving quickly into petulance, name calling, irritation, or worse. Thanks mods!

The video is a great explanation. I was already aware about "deindividuation" from my college psych classes. That is, folks tend to act differently in a group (fraternity or sorority, for example) than if one on one.

Solipsistic Introjection - That's my favorite new term of the day :).

Back
Top Bottom