Join Early Retirement Today

E-R.org sets a new record
Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like a side effect of the 'polar vortex' is staying indoors and spending more time on the computer. I noticed this on the portal page a few minutes ago:

Quote:
Most users ever online was 1,008, Yesterday at 02:03 PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like a side effect of the 'polar vortex' is staying indoors and spending more time on the computer. I noticed this on the portal page a few minutes ago:
Well, even though it is frigid here, I was at w*rk yesterday at 2:03, so I certainly would not have been one of the 1,008 (ahem-cough-cough). I was busy being a productive w*rker bee. [snort]
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #3

I only get on at w*ork.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I can't blame the weather for my forum participation (the heater's been off since December, windows open in the afternoon when temps creep up in the 60s).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

I'll be here a good bit of today. 1° F this morning. Of course we had to go out in it for an appointment.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've often wondered what it means to 'be on-line'.

I tend to keep a dozen or so browser windows open at a time, and many tabs in each window. Does just having a tab open, or being logged in, even if I'm not actually on that tab count? What if the computer is sleeping (I sometimes go weeks w/o a reboot/shutdown - I'm at 10 days at the moment)?

OK, I just experimented - viewed the site from another computer w/o loging in there. It showed me as on-line. It still showed on-line when I moved to another window, when I moved to another program, even when my computer was sleeping.

So I guess being 'on-line' is pretty loose - if you logged in and didn't log out, I guess you are 'on-line', even when you are sleeping, showering, etc.

But it's still a record, but maybe affected by people with tablets, phones, etc, creating more opportunities to be logged in and 'on-line'?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Makes sense. -16F with -40 windchill yesterday and a total snow accum of about 1-1/2 feet (with drifts everywhere). Warmed up to -13F this morning though they're forecasting +5F later this afternoon. This kind of weather was real challenge in my worklife, sure don't miss that.

I never turn my iPad off and I am sure ER.org is open a lot when I'm not actually there or using the iPad for something completely different...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Party at e-r.org!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1389118113.107477.jpg
Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Administrator

Any excuse for a party..... I'm in
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Are there any graphs of site usage over time? I'm curious if it peaks at the beginning of each year, it seems likely that there'll be a lot of people making resolutions to save more and get ready for retirement, and this site comes up in most financial planning searches.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #11

Well talking to my broker, they are busy with people requesting tax information and selling off for the end of the year.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
Are there any graphs of site usage over time? I'm curious if it peaks at the beginning of each year, it seems likely that there'll be a lot of people making resolutions to save more and get ready for retirement, and this site comes up in most financial planning searches.

Site use is pretty constant but there is a slight bump in January and March.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Site use is pretty constant but there is a slight bump in January and March.
And when the market crashes...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious - what %age of forum members never actively participate by posting? Not implying criticism of lurkers (I lurk on Bogleheads sometimes, without ever posting), just wondering.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm curious - what %age of forum members never actively participate by posting?
I think the ratio of lurkers to members is about 4 or 5 to 1.

You can get a good idea by clicking on "portal" at the upper left of the page, then scroll down to the see the current number of members and guests online.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

The site always logs me off automatically after some period of inactivity.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You can get a good idea by clicking on "portal" at the upper left of the page, then scroll down to the see the current number of members and guests online.

On almost all forums I have studied, the ratio is 10-1 lurkers to posters. ER-Org is no exception. Right now there is 153 members and 750 guests on. But when you look at the members, you'll find that fully 1/2 (more than 10,000) members have zero posts and another thousand or so have 1 post.

The #1 poster is REWahoo and with Nords posting infrequently I think his position is pretty safe for 2014.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:

I also suspect we have a lot of registered members who don't post (ie not "Guests"). Becoming a member cuts down on a lot of ad's and allows one to subscribe to interesting threads.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I remember some rule of organized groups that at most 10 percent are actively engaged (not sure where I heard this, a long time ago when I was actively engaged in something and whining about the other 90 percent). It is probably much higher inactive percentage for an open online site as there is no required commitment to be able to read postings (or use FIREcalc here). Maybe I will google it.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I'm so used to reading about billions and trillions that this # looks small. However, that's a lot of folks. ER has a bunch of wise posters and others seem to be zeroing in on the site.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote