Email icon under my username

flipstress

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have three icons under my username whenever I post.

How do I get rid of the icon that allows people to email me? I made sure my checkbox for hide email address was checked.

Thanks!

The email icon doesn't show to others. I only see two icons below your name.

Thanks, retire@40--good to know!

I have been receiving lots of spam lately and got concerned when I thought my email address was available from here.

I did see another thread about this but the OP in that thread used "email link" instead of "email icon" so I wasn't sure we were talking about the same thing.

flipstress said:
Thanks, retire@40--good to know!

I have been receiving lots of spam lately and got concerned when I thought my email address was available from here.

I did see another thread about this but the OP in that thread used "email link" instead of "email icon" so I wasn't sure we were talking about the same thing.
Flipstress - if you are getting spam, or worried about releasing your email address in general, you should get a spare email account at Yahoo, Excite, or Gmail and use that for anything you online purchases, etc. You still need to police the account to keep it cleaned out but it doesn't need to be a priority and you can set it to not display images and use a maximum junk mail filter if they offer that.

Flipstress, I also had the same question earlier. It is confusing.
What about the "personal message" Icon?? What happens if someone sends me a personal message? Where will it show up?

dessert said:
What about the "personal message" Icon?? What happens if someone sends me a personal message? Where will it show up?

It will show up at the top of the screen where it says "Hey, dessert...." If it is sent when you are offline, when you log on a message will pop up telling you you have a PM. Just follow the prompts.

I'll send you one so you can see what happens.

My Dream said:
Don't worry flipstress , I won't email you. :)

Thank you, My Dream. That's good to know also. :D

And thanks, donheff. It occurred to me to change my email address here to my hotmail account before I read your suggestion. I remember wab and others suggesting something similar.

My hotmail email address is very short, with 4 letters before the @ and I get so many spam messages in hotmail, so I think I will indeed go and get another one from gmail or Excite.

flipstress said:
My hotmail email address is very short, with 4 letters before the @ and I get so many spam messages in hotmail, so I think I will indeed go and get another one from gmail or Excite.
You already have a junkmail acount -- Hotmail. :LOL: :LOL: Use gmail for your legit account.

Gmail is very good at screening out spam. So far nothing legit has ended up in the junkmail bin, but it fills up every day...

What amazes me is that if you create a new hotmail account...the very next day its full of spam. The spambots must simply be sending stuff to every possible hotmail user name combination full steam. You mean to tell me MS cant identify that sort of behavior and block the IP address? :p

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
You mean to tell me MS cant identify that sort of behavior and block the IP address? :p
They're probably using a zombie from E-R.org to send it out through other proxy servers...

Back
Top Bottom