Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #21

I've followed Jack Benny's example and quit counting at 39.

Next year I will celebrate the 31st anniversary of my 39th birthday.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Forum topics by age.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #22
gone traveling

Forum topics by age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's been in place for almost a decade. See the Young Dreamers forum: "Still have quite a few years before you can retire? Issues related to that can go here, but you're welcome anywhere on the forum!"

Not sure how creating more stratified age categories would be of much value since anyone can be whatever age they want on the internet.

Sadly the dreamers section is just that. Mostly just Dreaming... Few doing ...

Sorry to see so many skeptics not up for trying something new targeted to similar aged early retirees.

Honestly in my mid 40s, I share very little FIRE lifestyle-wise with those in their late 50s and 60s.... Night and day differences on what keeps us up at night too.

But by others comments , I guess the populace has voted !!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've followed Jack Benny's example and quit counting at 39.

Next year I will celebrate the 31st anniversary of my 39th birthday.

Case in point. Who the hell was Jack Benny...

It's a generational thing ...
Old 12-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you start dividing the forum by age, you might as well divide it by gender, too. Then by nationality, race, religion or any number of characteristics.

I'm joking, of course. Most of us come hear to learn from and exchange information and opinions with a diverse group of people. Else, how can we learn?

For those seeking an affinity group within the forum, there is the option to add buddies. And one can always send a PM.

I did not mean to suggest dividing the forum entirely by age as u quickly figured out.

The suggestion is to have areas that are targeted and welcoming specifically to age or like retirement stage people.. Affinity is a good term.
I like to meet other 40 somethings who are fired ... Not many of us and the situations and solutions are often unique compared to a 60 year old 2 or 3 years out from social security a pension or both ...

Put another way: I find those retiring in 30s and 40s to be way more interesting. Often their stories are met with healthy inspiration and some awe.

Contrasting that - Retiring in 60s is pretty much average and normal not at all uncommon and pretty much unspectacular in that it's a "usual" Path. And with 10000 boomers retiring every day it's just a lot of normal old people retiring on schedule. By that point few of those doing it "early".

Dryer sheets or not... This is ER.org right ? And E stands for early, correct ?

Peace out !
Old 12-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So you want a young and FIREd forum? There is a similar forum at Mr Money Mustache, though I don't think "young" is in the title, but most of the posters who have FIREd are the very early (30's and 40's) retirees.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I learn from everyone here regardless of age. Speaking of age, where is Imoldernu?
He is posting on the Skeptics Society and Debate Politics forums. He also has a Twitter account and following (I am not a Twitter member). He's around, but not here at the moment.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Case in point. Who the hell was Jack Benny...

It's a generational thing ...
Jack who?
Old 12-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #28

Papadad - there are several (that I can think of) members here who are in their 40's and retired. Why don't you start a thread in the Life After Fire forum and start a conversation.

I don't think we need to redivide/subdivide the er.org site...

And don't be surprised if folks not in your preferred demographic respond... that's how it works here.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

While I like to get input from those in my similar situation, including age, I know that valued input can be from lots of ages for lots of ages.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I like to meet other 40 somethings who are fied ... Not many of us and the situations and solutions are often unique compared to a 60 year old 2 or 3 years out from social security a pension or both ...

Put another way: I find those retiring in 30s and 40s to be way more interesting. Often their stories are met with healthy inspiration and some awe.

Contrasting that - Retiring in 60s is pretty much average and normal not at all uncommon and pretty much unspectacular in that it's a "usual" Path. And with 10000 boomers retiring every day it's just a lot of normal old people retiring on schedule. By that point few of those doing it "early".....
Wow.

You can always start a thread entitled "Want to meet other FIREs aged 40-ish" if you want.

As for the third comment bolded above, I will be retiring in my early 60's, and there is absolutely nothing "common" or "normal" about the path I have had to follow to reach that goal. I will consider my own retirement to be a pretty damn spectacular event in my life when I reach it, thank you very much.

Now I am going to end this post, before I write something that (justifiably) gets me kicked off the thread.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
He is posting on the Skeptics Society and Debate Politics forums. He also has a Twitter account and following (I am not a Twitter member). He's around, but not here at the moment.
I believe he is also spending some time on another retirement forum. I saw a post from him there a few weeks back.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #32

Quote:

Contrasting that - Retiring in 60s is pretty much average and normal not at all uncommon and pretty much unspectacular in that it's a "usual" Path. And with 10000 boomers retiring every day it's just a lot of normal old people retiring on schedule. By that point few of those doing it "early".
And time will catch up with early retirees eventually. While I retired at age 52, I'm now 65, so I don't really stick out as an "early retiree" anymore.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And time will catch up with early retirees eventually. While I retired at age 52, I'm now 65, so I don't really stick out as an "early retiree" anymore.
Yup. Time has a funny way of catching up with everyone (if they're lucky) - even those who think they are extremely special, and far more interesting than all the people who came before them.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I believe he is also spending some time on another retirement forum. I saw a post from him there a few weeks back.
How can someone find the time to contribute to three forums? One is more than enough for me unless I sit by my PC all day long which I don't intend on doing anytime soon.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
How can someone find the time to contribute to three forums? One is more than enough for me unless I sit by my PC all day long which I don't intend on doing anytime soon.
My best guess is that Imoldernu never sleeps!
Old 12-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You know, that is actually pretty offensive, not to mention ageist. You are certainly entitled to have whatever feelings you want to have about older people, but it seems more than a little rude to talk publicly about how those younger people are just more interesting.

I also think you are entirely missing the fact that many of those boring old people in the late 50s are older weren't always that age, and may have retired years and years earlier.

There is also the fact that while this form is an Early Retirement forum it does have plenty of people on it who didn't retire too early. I remember when I joined the form and I was 55 or so, I was hesitant at first to even join. I actually think I lurked for quite awhile before joining because I wasn't sure I was young enough to join.

The reality is that because I was uneasy about it, I looked elsewhere for a more general retirement forum and didn't find one. So, here I ended up. And, mostly despite being a decrepit and boring 55 year old, people were welcoming.

I have the feeling though that once we hit 60 (regardless of who old we were when we got here), you would just as soon we went elsewhere. From one of your posts in this thread:

Quote:
60's...ok. Few are early retirees. Talk about claiming your SS, changes in file and suspend, Medicare. Perhaps many don't even belong on an "early retiree" board. They're pretty much run of the mill retirees.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
This is the only forum I frequent, let alone post in. Yet, it already takes quite a bit of my time.

So, how do people run across imoldernu on other forums without spending even more time than I do? Just askin'...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I am in favor of transparency. I am 29

How many times?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did not mean to suggest dividing the forum entirely by age as u quickly figured out.

The suggestion is to have areas that are targeted and welcoming specifically to age or like retirement stage people.. Affinity is a good term.
I like to meet other 40 somethings who are fired ... Not many of us and the situations and solutions are often unique compared to a 60 year old 2 or 3 years out from social security a pension or both ...

Dryer sheets or not... This is ER.org right ? And E stands for early, correct ?

Peace out !
When you were in high school or college, how did you envision your future? I'm guessing you probably hunted for information that would enhance your career, your financial situation or your quality of life. Well, guess what? Some "older" people also plan for the future. Get over it. Hopefully you will someday be old enough to ask the same questions.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wait, you want the mods to confess their ages?

Hmmmm..........

OK, I am old. But not so old as to have forgotten the day I got my first dinosaur. Mum was afraid that I wouldn't properly care for the little fellow, but Dad talked her into it. Oh the hours of fun we had -- little Winthrop and I -- scampering about in the wood until we heard the roar of Old Nick, the local Tyrannosaur. Then we'd race for the safety of home. Good times indeed.