Join Early Retirement Today

From the E-R Mailbag
Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Administrator

From the E-R Mailbag

Periodically we get mail from reporters, authors and others who are interested in ER members input. We review these requests and occasionally give the go ahead to register and account and post about their project, etc. Rather than continue this practice of registering to post once and never return, we though we'd try just posting their requests here in this mailbag thread for folks to read, act on or disregard as they see fit.

This one today, caught our fancy:

Quote:
I noticed your website while searching for recent and soon-to-be retirees for a casting call. VPE entertainment is seeking retirees for a one day film project. Your blog seems like a great resource, and platform for this particular audience. Below is a description of the project:

Are you retiring between February 15 - March 15, 2012? Do you know how you'll fill your days? Have you overcome great obstacles in your life to get to this point? Do you anticipate that first day the alarm clock goes off and you have no one to answer to? We want to hear your story.

VPE Talent (Vinnie Potestivo Entertainment) is looking for men and women who are about to retire for a one day shoot to document their first day of retirement. For more information please email Louise@vpetalent.com with your NAME, PHONE NUMBER , RETIREMENT DATE AND A BRIEF DESCRIPTION ABOUT YOURSELF.

The project is for Prudential, who are spearheading a nationwide advertising campaign. They asked that we cast people without using their name, but the project can be found at www.dayonestories.com, if you would like to take a look. Please let me know if you have any ideas to reach recent retirees, or if you are able to post our blurb or flyer (attached) on your blog. We appreciate any help you can send our way!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I expect all you introverts to sign up
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If this is part of the series the Prudential is running on CNBC they are actually pretty good if you ask me.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Who sets their alarm clock for their first day of retirement?!?!

Oh, and the project sounds too much like w*rk...

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Who sets their alarm clock for their first day of retirement?!?!
Actually I seriously considered it. Then I was going to have a huge wooden mallet with about a 1-foot diameter next to the bed and smash the damn thing.

But then I would have had to buy a new nightstand so reconsidered.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Living on Social Security alone?

Gosh, I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, but I'm sure the mods will let me know if it's inappropriate (sorry in advance if it is ;-)

I'm Jeff Yeager (aka "The Ultimate Cheapskate") and I'm looking to do some short telephone interviews with retired people who are living entirely (or at least 90%) on Social Security alone, whether out of necessity or choice (i.e. they could afford to spend more, but choose not to). This is for a retirement book I'm writing. If you or someone you know falls into that category and would like to be participate, please send me a PM or email me at UltCheapskate@aol.com.

Thanks & Stay Cheap!
Ultimate Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not RE'ed (yet) but this sounds like a great idea for book chapter.

Good luck with the project!
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Administrator

We have been contacted by a reporter for the New York Times who would like to talk to childless retirees (either single or couples) about some of their concerns regarding health care, finances and other issues, for an article she is preparing on this topic. This discussion triggered her request.

Please contact Phyllis at thesearch@nytimes.com if you are interested in participating.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well I actually qualify but the NY Times... does anybody read that anymore
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Actively participating in your the design of your habitat after retirement
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Actively participating in your the design of your habitat after retirement

Hi I am Itziar, a student in Sweden, BTH. I am currently researching on healthy and active aging and how to involve seniors in the design of their lifes and the environments where you live.

I would be very happy and grateful if you could help me with my research by completing this questionnaire, no one better than you knows yourselves.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZN9...it?usp=sharing
Itzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Itzi's survey has been reviewed and approved by us, so we encourage participation by anyone who wants to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzi View Post
Hi I am Itziar, a student in Sweden, BTH. I am currently researching on healthy and active aging and how to involve seniors in the design of their lifes and the environments where you live.

I would be very happy and grateful if you could help me with my research by completing this questionnaire, no one better than you knows yourselves.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Itzi's survey has been reviewed and approved by us, so we encourage participation by anyone who wants to do so.
Sorry I just realised I gave the wrong address of the survey, this is the one that must be completed in order for me to get the results

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZN9...DomYE/viewform
Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #13

I looked at the questionnaire, and became puzzled in the latter parts.
It seems to assume you are in some sort of senior care facility. May not be very applicable to most of us fairly active folks.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #14

First of all thank you all that have taken some time to answer and the potential coming answers.

braumeister, I do understand what you mean. However it is interesting for me to have a perspective of what young people like you would see as valuable services in a future for the community where you could potentially live. I am not thinking about institutions, but something more like cohousing for elderly.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzi View Post

Itzi, in the preamble to your survey you specifically refer to "people aged over retirement (65 and above)". As this is an early retirement forum, most members are current or aspiring retirees who are not yet eligible to answer. I am 55 and retired. I found the questions to be inapplicable to my current situation. Despite your response to braumeister, the wording of the survey does not convey the message that you want to know about future plans.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Really valuable answers, thank you and go on!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #16

Really valuable answers, thank you and go on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Itzi, in the preamble to your survey you specifically refer to "people aged over retirement (65 and above)". As this is an early retirement forum, most members are current or aspiring retirees who are not yet eligible to answer. I am 55 and retired. I found the questions to be inapplicable to my current situation. Despite your response to braumeister, the wording of the survey does not convey the message that you want to know about future plans.
Sure Meadbh, I accept and understand your point of view, however I can also tell you that the answers I have got until now are really valuable for me. I have been taking a look now and really, it helps me a lot for my research.

If I could I would definentely change some of the questions based on your feedback, but it is a little bit late for me in the process to do so.

So, please go on answering, it really helps!!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #17

Very interesting survey! I wish Itziar much success in this research!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Very interesting survey! I wish Itziar much success in this research!
Thank you!
Last chance!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #19

Last chance!

Hi again,

This is the last chance to answer the amazing questionnaire . Feel free to do it during this weekend, but hurry up because on Sunday I will close my data collection time for my research.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZN9...DomYE/viewform

Thank you again for those who answered and those who supported me!
Itziar
Hi, I am...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #20

Hi, I am...

Donna Rosato. I'm a writer at MONEY magazine. I write about planning for and living in retirement. I am particularly interested in early retirement for a story I'm working on and I'd love to talk with some people in these forums about how they pulled off early retirement. Looking for folks who have taken early retirement fairly recently, somewhere between the ages of 55 and 62 and did it even though they didn't have a pension. Maybe you moved to a cheaper place to live? Or continue to work in a part-time capacity? Or power saved to reach your goal? Or had a side business or hobby that brought in money and enabled you to save more during your working years or bring in extra income post-retirement?

Anyone interested in talking with me? You can respond to this thread or email/call me at donna_rosato@moneymail.com or 212-522-0989.

Thank you!
DonnaRosato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
early retirement secrets, survey