Has ER.org changed servers, software or other?

Interestingly, firefox is much faster. I will have to spend some time to understand why Chrome is so much slower.
I’m having this experience on Safari/iPad FWIW :confused:

And there are 4-5 forums I use daily, none of the others have changed WRT performance. Though it could still be something unique in how ER.org interacts with something (iOS, etc.) on my end. I just want to restore functions, I hate to resort to AdBlock...

Last edited:
I tried a few browsers, Chrome and firefox both have slow loading issues. IE11 with out ad blocking, seems to fine. Many browsers are related and based off the same engine, gecko , blink, webkit etc so it could have something to do with the engine the browser is using.

Also it was working fine, without ad blocking, until a few weeks ago with chrome.

I still believe there is a strong possibility that internet regulations have changed in the US has some effect on how things work now. Do some research and come up with your take what is happening and changes that could occur with deregulation.

I hadn't heard of ER.org. I figured it must be an "early retirement" web site, but it takes me to an "Employment Research" site? Are you really all looking for employment? :)

This is a video showing the lower LH corner of the screen. From the Portal screen, at the beginning. Clicked this thread link. You can see that it takes 60 seconds before the screen refreshes to the first new post.

This was recorded on my second computer. No Ad Block Plus.

My first computer, which now had Ad Block Plus, refreshes near instantaneous.

Firefox browser, Windows 10.

^ And they wonder why ad blockers are so popular!

PS: What did you use to capture that video?

^ And they wonder why ad blockers are so popular!

PS: What did you use to capture that video?

Open PowerPoint:
Insert Screen Recording:
Select area to record:
Windows key + Shift + R:
-records video-
Windows key +Shift +Q (or hit the stop symbol in the toolbar):
Then Right Click the video (now in PowerPoint)
Save Media as...

Same here.

To my knowledge there haven't been any changes in the forum software.

No changes.

I've had trouble with the "Congratulations Google User" (or something like that) popping up on my iPad the last couple of weeks.

Must be something on my end. I’m getting sporadic use of the drop downs, no one else seems to see that. I’ll start digging...

I get the same thing on both my iPad and PC running Win10. The quick links and search tabs only function abut 25% of the time.

There have been recent updates to almost all browsers and several big updates to windows. Please make sure you have updated as there are some important security patches that were released. The windows update in particular may take several hours. Some of these updates affect how ads display or load. If ads are hanging up your page loads, this is likely the underlying issue.

If you are getting weird popups like above mentioned "hello google user" then at some point you clicked on an unwanted bit of adware somewhere on the internet and got cookied up. Delete your cookies and cache and do a restart to clean this up. You should not be seeing any popups here.

I'm getting some popup ads as of a couple of weeks ago. Only on e-r.org and no other sites. Avast aborts them and flags them as malware. I am not running any pop-up blockers.

Also starting a couple of weeks ago, my Chrome browser has been getting infected with popup adware. Avast doesn't block it but uninstalling Chrome and running Malware bytes adwcleaner gets rid of it. I can't say for sure what site that happens from. I just left Chrome uninstalled until I have more time to research the issue.

OP here. Today ER.org on my iPad/Safari is quick again and all the dropdowns are working again. No changes or updates. Beyond me...

And the site worked fine for me on PC/Win 10 all along.

Let us give thanks and sacrifice 5 emojis to the internet gods for this. :)

I still use Windows 7, but I see the swirly swirl (=page still loading) just about everywhere I go on this site anymore. Dunno why.

OP here. Today ER.org on my iPad/Safari is quick again and all the dropdowns are working again. No changes or updates. Beyond me...

And the site worked fine for me on PC/Win 10 all along.

After seeing your post, I tried the Chrome browser today; I had been using Firefox for the last 3 days. Sure enough, like you, I find that Chrome with Early-Retirement.org is working well today. My use of Chrome is with a Windows PC.

The mysteries of Intel, Windows, browsers and the Internet !!!

I just made a post and the page is still trying to refresh, 60 seconds later. This has been an ongoing problem for me over the past couple of weeks.

After reading some of the comments here, I decided to clear my browsing history and cache (but not cookies), and the pages load noticeably faster. As soon as the ads fill up on the right side, the loading process finishes. If I am clicking on a previously viewed thread, it takes me to the right spot sooner too. I have a Windows PC (7) and use Chrome.

OK, maybe I spoke too soon. I said "noticeably faster", but maybe more like "slightly faster".

After reading some of the comments here, I decided to clear my browsing history and cache (but not cookies), and the pages load noticeably faster. As soon as the ads fill up on the right side, the loading process finishes. If I am clicking on a previously viewed thread, it takes me to the right spot sooner too. I have a Windows PC (7) and use Chrome.

This is very interesting to me (a little geeky).

It appears for sure that it is one or more of the advertisers that has some sort of delay occurring in responding to ER page loads. The page does not scroll to the last post (or allow menu pull-downs) until all the ads have finished loading.

It could be that the reason different people are all having differing experiences may actually be due to their PREVIOUS browsing habits -- and therefore which ads are requested to show up on their loading of the page.

Interesting.....

I downloaded Chrome on my Mac and it seems to work better. On Safari I can't even get the "Quicklinks" drop down box to drop down. Is there some way to clear things out in Safari? The only thing I could find was to clear the history.

Any way to capture what a webpage is waiting for? I see several, long "Waiting...." with various URL's at the bottom left corner of my Chrome browser when I click on different threads on E-R org site, but they go too fast and I cannot catch them, but it sure waits for a long time for some of the URL's that each page hits (and each page hits a bunch of URL's to bring the whole screen up.) I think, depending on which URL it's hitting, the loading time can get really long.

This is very interesting to me (a little geeky).

It appears for sure that it is one or more of the advertisers that has some sort of delay occurring in responding to ER page loads. The page does not scroll to the last post (or allow menu pull-downs) until all the ads have finished loading.

It could be that the reason different people are all having differing experiences may actually be due to their PREVIOUS browsing habits -- and therefore which ads are requested to show up on their loading of the page.

Interesting.....

+1

I have also thought that some advertiser doesn't respond quickly.

Well, I just had one of my now-frequent outages on ER.org (no other site is affected). I received this message, which seems to indicate a server issue at ER.org.

Attachments

• 48456906-CA8C-491F-84E7-F1B825D92643.jpg
    48456906-CA8C-491F-84E7-F1B825D92643.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom