Join Early Retirement Today

Help Out E-R.org - Moderators Needed
Old 07-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Administrator

Help Out E-R.org - Moderators Needed

Dear Fellow Members,

Most of us would agree that E-R.org is best served with a team of light handed moderators who's goal is not to interfere with the discussions but help keep things SPAM free, greet members, and help point people to information. We recently had some long time moderators retire from our team which has left us with the need to find a few replacements.

In order to move forward we are looking for a few new mods to help watch the forums. This is a volunteer position (our group benefits need to be renegotiated) but it is a great opportunity to give back to a site/community that has hopefully been an excellent resource for you.

We would like your input on who you think would make a good mod. If you are interested in volunteering or think that we should consider a certain member, please send me a PM with details.

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sgeee e-mailed me and told me that he'd be willing to help you out with this moderating thing. Of course you'd have to reinstate his account since he's been banned.

I never understood why a prolific and smart poster was banned anyway. He's got a website dedicated to retirement and a book on the subject.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
Sgeee e-mailed me and told me that he'd be willing to help you out with this moderating thing. Of course you'd have to reinstate his account since he's been banned.

I never understood why a prolific and smart poster was banned anyway. He's got a website dedicated to retirement and a book on the subject.
Cut-Throat - can you post a link to his website.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, if you'd hauled enough of your share of the moderator's load then you'd've been able to participate in the discussion on the mod's board, including reading an excerpt from a PM that SG sent to at least one Admin.

There's a difference between having potential and using it. Between helping people and toying with them.

In other words, you don't know the full story... and it's clear that you're not getting it from SG, either!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, if you'd hauled enough of your share of the moderator's load
Being one of the lazier moderators and seeing this in the moderator recruiting thread, I feel I should point out that so far there is no quota of moderator activity for a day, week or any span of time. Three moderators have been mostly silent or mostly absent for quite a while, and this is the closest I've seen to there being a complaint about it.

And being a moderator doesn't mean agreeing with the other moderators on everything. A consensus decision often has a minority divergent opinion.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
I feel I should point out that so far there is no quota of moderator activity for a day, week or any span of time.
Jim, you are correct, there is no quota. We are more or less looking for people that are around often to help purge the spam, greet new members, guide people to old threads and help tag discussions. Another attribute that is being sought are members who can help defuse tense situations between members having disagreements. Lastly we are looking for people that are willing to act in a neutral manner which sometimes means keeping your opinions at bay. I think that last attribute is one of the hardest things to do in the long run as a mod. Sometimes you just want to rip into a member and as a mod you have to try hard not to. Trust me, I know how hard it is to practice restraint sometime (last week was a good example). No mods will ever be perfect but we just have to keep trying to do the right things, be as light as possible with our moderation and keep moving forward.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dont think Nords is so much concerned at the participation level, but the collective effort as a moderator.

Variable moderation is one thing. Creating tensions and yelling "blow me!" at people is another.

I'm suspecting thats not the sort of help Andy needs...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

nm...hit the post button twice...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

He was a very smart individual and he knew it. The problem with his kind is they do not know how to interact with people without being a jerk.

I have no problem with him being banned.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
Cut-Throat - can you post a link to his website.
Here you Go.

SGeee Website
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
Being one of the lazier moderators and seeing this in the moderator recruiting thread, I feel I should point out that so far there is no quota of moderator activity for a day, week or any span of time. Three moderators have been mostly silent or mostly absent for quite a while, and this is the closest I've seen to there being a complaint about it.
And being a moderator doesn't mean agreeing with the other moderators on everything. A consensus decision often has a minority divergent opinion.
BMJ, I didn't intend to create an impression in anyone's mind that I had a complaint about any moderator other than Cut-Throat. If you felt that I was including you in my previous post then I apologize. Laurence, Astro, no offense intended to you guys either.

BMJ, your claim to being "lazy" is hard to match with all the RSS work and software upgrades you put into Dory's board, and all the hours you spent tweaking the features to figure out what works best. I used to read your ruminations on the things you were working on and think that I was getting away with a lot less work than you!

I'm not complaining about moderators doing nothing. I'm complaining about moderators who create more work than they accomplish, go unilaterally off the rails to make things worse, and then argue about feeling unsupported...

But, hey, that's all behind us now.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I will volunteer.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #13

I volunteered as well. I mentioned to Andy that I thought it would be a good idea to have some sort of consensus among the board/past moderators as to who becomes part of the new crew.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
I volunteered as well. I mentioned to Andy that I thought it would be a good idea to have some sort of consensus among the board/past moderators as to who becomes part of the new crew.
I think wildcat would be a great mod and I second him. I don't know bssc, but if he is willing to cut me the same amount of slack the previous mods did, then I will heartily second bssc as well.
I would like to nominate Cute Fuzzy Bunny. I think he's one smart bunny, is an expert or at least has an opinion on most things and I'm pretty sure has the time for it. Also, would like to nominate Brewer12345 for the same reasons stated above.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest communicating nominations or willingness to volunteer via pm to Andy. Because the group needs to be at least somewhat cohesive there may be excellent people mentioned in this thread that nevertheless are not invited because it just doesn't work out best in the mix.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I suggest communicating nominations or willingness to volunteer via pm to Andy. Because the group needs to be at least somewhat cohesive there may be excellent people mentioned in this thread that nevertheless are not invited because it just doesn't work out best in the mix.
Agreed. PM Andy if you are interested.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #17

I would second Wildcat....I dont think I have ever seen him say anything antagonistic besides he is working so has time...Too bad about SG, I enjoyed reading his comments...
Old 07-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would like to nominate Cute Fuzzy Bunny.

You done drinkin' now DT? :

For anyone who took that seriously, if nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve!

Now that you have me in a serious mood, I do have a nomination idea.

While the current crew has already "stepped down" (off of what I still wanna know), I'd like to see at least one stick around a bit longer than a week or two for the sake of continuity and to retain some element of history among the ranks.

So which will it be? Last man in? Shortest? Most/least purty? Any of you been drinking with Dan and feel brave?

Can we have a volunteer before we have a draft?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would like to nominate Cute Fuzzy Bunny.
If you're going to nominate CFB then I definitely want a vote.

Which I'll sell to the highest bidder.

As many of them as I can find...

Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ah hah! Theres one volunteer...

Do we have any others?

All y'all make some room. Theres going to be a little moonwalking any moment now.