How many people are ignoring me?

I have 3 on my ignore list (not you), 2 of them seem to have left the forum on their own.

It is very possible that the folks you put on ignore may have left the forum with a mod bouncer at their elbow, gently ushering them on their way to a new place to party. O0

:angel:

As much as I've thought about doing so I've never put anyone on my ignore list on any forum. Then again if I'm on yours, you won't see this post.

I believe on this forum, I sort of get lost in the rubble anyway.

PS. that was my attempt at humour. :rolleyes:

No one have I put on ignore. Do at times practice selective [-]hearing[/-] reading. Some [-]novels[/-] long elaborations I'll skip over.
The downside to selective reading is that I occasionally miss a few good morsels of info.

Short, well packaged words of wisdom are a joy read.

No one who posted here is on my ignore list.

I first thought reading all the posts was the right thing to do. Then I realized that this site contains a spectrum of people and not all posts are worth reading.
I think the ignore function is helpful to weed out those posters and have a good communication experience for those who remain.

I was curious to know how many people were ignoring me because I know that the way I write and that I sometime challenge the way people think can be off putting.

The writing style is because I don't like to write a lot. The challenging part is to offer a different perspective.

I tend to agree with Dex. Notification to someone that he/she has been put on several ignore lists could be helpful in making one more circumspect about his/her posts, especially if that person often posts helpful things.

I tend to agree with Dex. Notification to someone that he/she has been put on several ignore lists could be helpful in making one more circumspect about his/her posts, especially if that person often posts helpful things.
Agreed. That kind of feedback can make one reflect on the way they're coming across without the kind of direct criticism that could be embarrassing or confrontational. Of course the one weakness of this kind of feedback is the lack of specificity about what is annoying other forum members. But most of the time that would probably be self apparent upon honest reflection.

I actually don't have any individuals on ignore.

As far as showing the number of people who are ignoring you, several years ago they did that very briefly on the boards over on the Motley Fool. It was a very unpopular feature and was removed in a matter of days.

No one who posted here is on my ignore list.
I first thought reading all the posts was the right thing to do. Then I realized that this site contains a spectrum of people and not all posts are worth reading.
I think the ignore function is helpful to weed out those posters and have a good communication experience for those who remain.
33 posts so far, two from posters on my "Ignore Poster" list.

Reading all the posts is something only a moderator [-]in hell[/-] should have to do.

I find that I'll click on "View Post" a few times after adding someone to the list, but that dies out quickly. No behavioral change, no need to view the post. That's why they ended up on the ignore list in the first place. And not having to put up with their behavior helps keep us both from getting grumpy.

I was curious to know how many people were ignoring me because I know that the way I write and that I sometime challenge the way people think can be off putting.
The writing style is because I don't like to write a lot. The challenging part is to offer a different perspective.
There's quite a separation between merely being a noodge and being the latest addition to an "Ignore Poster" list.

I think a public "Ignore Poster" statistics list would be a very good thing. Maybe ignorees shouldn't have a list of specific posters who are ignoring them (to avoid targeted animosity or reprisals) but I think public summaries would be a valuable tool. It'd be extremely helpful for a poster to learn that 10 people are ignoring him... or for everyone else on the board to see that 10 people are ignoring that certain poster. It gives the poster immediate feedback and helps new users quickly decide who's worth listening to-- or what behaviors are deemed inappropriate. We have lists of the top number of posts, the top number of threads started, and the top threads viewed. We can also learn who's never posted. Why not name the banned posters, the top "Ignored" posters, and the top posters to have the annotation "[moderator edit]" sprinkled upon their work?

If publicity is deemed inappropriate, then perhaps disclosure could still be practiced. The moderators could let posters know when they "achieve" certain "milestones"-- as in "Dear Schmuckatelli, you might like to know that 50 people have put you on their 'Ignore Poster' lists. This feedback is intended to assist you in becoming a more valued member of the board."

But I guess this also depends on board culture. On another vBulletin board I happened to mention the names of three posters who I'd added to my "Ignore" list. Reprobation & castigation were immediately piled on my shoulders by shocked posters (not just the ones on my "Ignore" list) who couldn't believe that I'd have the audacity to publicly talk stink. Of course the board already talks plenty of stink, and their feedback tended to confirm the opinions I'd already formed about a couple of those other posters. But maybe on that board it's only considered inappropriate to talk stink if the recipient might actually read what you say about them. And on this board, the only way to truly determine the appropriateness of that feedback would be to post the summaries and see how the members respond.

Although I haven't confirmed it on this discussion board, I've also learned that vBulletin doesn't deliver PMs from posters on your "Ignore Poster" list and it doesn't inform the sender of non-delivery. An "ignored" poster can send you a thousand PMs, and vBulletin will give the impression that they've been sent, but they'll never be delivered to your "In" box and the ignoree will never know that the PMs have just vanished in the aether. Perhaps an ignored poster could leave a Visitor's message at the poster's profile, but I haven't confirmed that either. The only definite method for a poster on your "Ignore" list to actually contact you would be through e-mail, not through the board... assuming they could get through your e-mail filters.

As far as showing the number of people who are ignoring you, several years ago they did that very briefly on the boards over on the Motley Fool. It was a very unpopular feature and was removed in a matter of days.

I don't think it should be made "public". I would favor only having the data made available to the particular individual.

I don't think it should be made "public". I would favor only having the data made available to the particular individual.
I would support that if the ability to see it was user-configurable in the user control panel. Some people would like to have the feedback and others would rather not know.

I have five people on my ignore list. Two have left the board, one keeps posting the same, annoying told-you-so thread over and over and the last two ended up being on my ignore list after short forays into the soap box that didn't end well (I am ignoring the soap box altogether now).

But two more people were taken off my ignore list recently because I realized I may have misjudged them in the first place. So I do believe in second chances.

I don't have anyone on my ignore list, but this thread stuck a chord with me. One of the mods PM'd me a while back and let me know that I was landing on a few ignore lists. I took that as constructive criticism, and have tried to tone down my posts quite a bit. I still feel strongly about certain topics, but having taken the time to observe what others have posted, (especially the wholesale cut-and-paste artists in the Soapbox) I now realize what I don't want my posts to look like. I don't use the ignore feature, because I enjoy reading the different points of view of many forum participants. Some of it is really quite amazing, and makes for interesting reading. After my PM with the mod, I quit feeling the need to fire off a response to everything that I disagree with and still enjoy the forum. Besides, nature abhors a vacuum,and others have stepped in to fill it. :D

Now, If I can just get a handle on that sarcasm thing... ;)

1. :D I have a Curmudgeon Certificate - downloaded from this very forum.

2. I have no problem with any poster since my mind is made up - I don't do facts or alternate opinions. Sometimes I may choose to march in a different direction - or not.

3. I say Pssst - Wellesley a lot. Heck - if Bogle can do index funds and repeat 'stay the course' over and over it's the least I can do.

heh heh heh - sarcasm? sarcasm? I don't need no stinking sarcasm. :cool:.

ok ok so maybe the Pat's do have a good football team.

I don't have anyone on my ignore list, largely because I stay away from the soapbox forum. I think I would be tempted if I visited it often.

Mostly I have enough people to argue with in real life and I don't need to start fights with people I haven't even met. Of course if I feel extremely strongly about something, I may say something, but so far that hasn't happened.

This is the only internet forum I visit on a regular basis. I have learned a lot from it and hope to do my part to keep it positive and constructive.

Back
Top Bottom