Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can't edit my posts
Old 01-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,328
I can't edit my posts

The to "edit" radio button on my posts has disappeared.....so I cannot edit them anymore.
__________________

__________________
OCCUPY ER, <=>
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
The to "edit" radio button on my posts has disappeared.....so I cannot edit them anymore.
I made a mistake on this post and wanted to remove to, but obviously can't.
__________________

__________________
OCCUPY ER, <=>
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 38,941
The edit window closes 6 hours after you post.
__________________
Numbers is hard.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,328
I solved the problem by clicking the "Remember me" box at login.....the server upgrade has some issues. My experience of upgrades is that they are often downgrades in some areas.
__________________
OCCUPY ER, <=>
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 4,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The edit window closes 6 hours after you post.
Why is it only 6 hours? Very occasionally I make a post that I regret or want to redo. That might be the next day, but now I have to live with it for eternity? Seems too harsh a policy.

Was it always like this or has the policy changed?
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 38,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Why is it only 6 hours? Very occasionally I make a post that I regret or want to redo. That might be the next day, but now I have to live with it for eternity? Seems too harsh a policy.

Was it always like this or has the policy changed?
The limit was put into place several years ago*. Originally there was no limit on editing your posts, but a couple of disgruntled members who deleted hundreds of their posts before flouncing off led management to implement a time limit. The six hour edit window was a compromise to allow what is believed to be a reasonable time frame to allow for corrections of typos, etc., but prevent abuse.



* July of 2007
__________________
Numbers is hard.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 4,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The limit was put into place several years ago*. Originally there was no limit on editing your posts, but a couple of disgruntled members who deleted hundreds of their posts before flouncing off led management to implement a time limit. The six hour edit window was a compromise to allow what is believed to be a reasonable time frame to allow for corrections of typos, etc., but prevent abuse.

* July of 2007
Hi REWahoo, is there any chance of revisiting this and maybe wind up setting a somewhat longer time? Is there a time frame that the forum administration feels is totally unacceptable ... like over 1 month?

I would be happy to start a poll with some options we agree to ahead of time. It would just be an "advisory" thread to guide the powers that be. I could put the poll in Other Topics to get exposure.

Some options for such a post might be:
1) 24 hours
2) 48 hours
3) 72 hours
4) keep it at 6 hours (present setting)
5) other
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
I can't edit my posts
Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 15,311
I can't edit my posts

You would then more likely have quoted portions of material that had been altered or continuing discussions that would not make sense. I imagine most editing is done within ten minutes. You can always PM a moderator about a need to edit an older post.
__________________
“Do act mysterious. It always keeps them coming back for more.”
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You would then more likely have quoted portions of material that had been altered or continuing discussions that would not make sense. I imagine most editing is done within ten minutes. You can always PM a moderator about a need to edit an older post.
I agree!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You would then more likely have quoted portions of material that had been altered or continuing discussions that would not make sense. I imagine most editing is done within ten minutes. You can always PM a moderator about a need to edit an older post.
I agree too. Within a few hours, your post will probably be quoted by someone else anyways and it is too late to make changes.
__________________
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 38,941
What they ^^^ said...
__________________
Numbers is hard.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 4,802
OK, I'll just be more hesitant to post some stuff here. One even gets 3 days to go back on a contract (buyers remorse) in our state. Never did this but it is nice to know this is possible. Writers remorse is a real phenomena. PM'ing a moderator ... well, I guess that works but not quite the same as having control of what one writes.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 13,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
OK, I'll just be more hesitant to post some stuff here. One even gets 3 days to go back on a contract (buyers remorse) in our state. Never did this but it is nice to know this is possible. Writers remorse is a real phenomena. PM'ing a moderator ... well, I guess that works but not quite the same as having control of what one writes.
The issue is that the posts quoted by other members then have to be edited too. In a long thread that can be quite a bit of work if the post was quoted often. There is no "find and replace" function for the moderators. Also it can make the edited posts look like gobbledygook since it changes the context.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 4,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The issue is that the posts quoted by other members then have to be edited too. In a long thread that can be quite a bit of work if the post was quoted often. There is no "find and replace" function for the moderators. Also it can make the edited posts look like gobbledygook since it changes the context.
I am not proposing that moderators do any global edits. Or even that moderators should be bothered to edit my slightly dated post. I'm only proposing that we the forum participants have control over our posts for more then a mere 6 hours.

If I post something that I find embarrassing or too off topic, maybe after waking up the next day, shouldn't I be able to modify it myself? That's all I'm saying here.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the road again
Posts: 20,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
OK, I'll just be more hesitant to post some stuff here. One even gets 3 days to go back on a contract (buyers remorse) in our state. Never did this but it is nice to know this is possible. Writers remorse is a real phenomena. PM'ing a moderator ... well, I guess that works but not quite the same as having control of what one writes.
No need to be more hesitant, nothing has changed. It's been this way for years.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
OK, I'll just be more hesitant to post some stuff here. One even gets 3 days to go back on a contract (buyers remorse) in our state. Never did this but it is nice to know this is possible. Writers remorse is a real phenomena. PM'ing a moderator ... well, I guess that works but not quite the same as having control of what one writes.

Are you sure that is for all contracts Usually these time limits are for some kind of specific type of selling and not all...


IOW, if you go buy a car and sign the contract and drive the car away.... I doubt that you get three days to take it back and say 'so sorry, I want to cancel this contract'....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I am not proposing that moderators do any global edits. Or even that moderators should be bothered to edit my slightly dated post. I'm only proposing that we the forum participants have control over our posts for more then a mere 6 hours.

If I post something that I find embarrassing or too off topic, maybe after waking up the next day, shouldn't I be able to modify it myself? That's all I'm saying here.
So you wake up the next day and you decide to delete an embarrassing post. But someone has already quoted you. What do you do? Even if you delete your original post, everyone will still be able to see the embarrassing content quoted in subsequent posts. When you think about it, 6 hours is very generous. Generally a post gets quoted in a matter of minutes and then it's out of your hands.
__________________
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,795
Maybe we should add a "Foot in Mouth" button that would allow the poster to acknowledge that the post no longer represents the posters current thinking
__________________
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 15,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Maybe we should add a "Foot in Mouth" button that would allow the poster to acknowledge that the post no longer represents the posters current thinking


Sometimes I just want to quote myself and add "Did I say that out loud?"
__________________
“Do act mysterious. It always keeps them coming back for more.”
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #20
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 18,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post


Sometimes I just want to quote myself and add "Did I say that out loud?"
Exactly

I don't post much on Facebook, but when we are traveling I post quite a bit on where we are, and also a selection of photos. Invariably I make spelling mistakes, particularly on place names. DW will often point out the errors pretty quickly, but it's too late to make any changes or delete the entry.

At least with Facebook albums I can make changes to my photo descriptions long after I have put them up.
__________________

__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repeal the 15 Minute Edit Limit TromboneAl Forum Admin 73 08-27-2007 06:31 PM
How long should the "edit window" be? Sam Forum Admin 45 07-04-2007 05:02 PM
Unable to edit own posts? cute fuzzy bunny Forum Admin 21 06-23-2005 07:15 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.