Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Did someone just say something?
I didn't hear a thing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
I didn't hear a thing.
Noone may not, but someone does....

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Noone ignores me.

I would never ignore you as I see you as a direct link to my soul mate Hugh Grant !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would never ignore you as I see you as a direct link to my soul mate Hugh Grant !
I thought Hugh Laurie was your squeeze?

Ha
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hi all,

I'm fine if others don't want to use the ignore function. I happen to use it a lot on this board. There are a number of folks whose post frequently enough, and are "doofus-y" enough (IMHO, of course) that I'd rather ignore everything they have to say than slog through the 99% dross for the 1% nickel.

It doesn't have anything to do with reading different opinions; I do a lot of that and enjoy well-reasoned and respectful discussions and enjoy learning the different points of view. It's more a matter of saving myself the time and angst of reading stuff that doesn't add value to my life.

Out of the 20 or so people in this category, one of them happens to be a moderator. I can and do ignore the 19 folks, and would like to ignore this 20th person as well.

Again, just to be clear, I support all of the moderators here in their moderating duties and I think we should triple their pay and benefits for that work they do. My request in this case is to simply ignore the posts that this moderator makes as a "regular poster" because I think said person's opinions as a poster are less than worthless.

Made up example:

1. Moderator X writes: "I'm closing this thread due to violation of community rule X. <Insert Porky>"
2. Moderator X writes: "I think it's better to take Social Security as soon as possible."

I want to ignore the second post. I don't care whether I can ignore the first post or not.

REWahoo, yes, I'm aware of that rule, and am grateful that people take on the moderating job on this board. As someone who already ignores ~20 posters, I know I won't ever be a moderator here.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I just finished watching an episode of Fortysomething on Netflix. He plays a very different type of doctor than he does in House.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

Sorry Ha , Hugh grant is my main fantasy mate . Liam Neeson is a close second especially since we are both widowed ! I absolutely love English accents !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Hugh Laurie was a great Bertie Wooster too--so removed from the House character.

(But I'd take Hugh Grant over him. Well, today, anyway )
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This seems like a reasonable request to me. Why shouldn't moderators be ignorable? We can still be admonished if needed via PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Hi,

I don't mind having my posts moderated, threads deleted, or receiving PMs from any or all of the moderators. But I'd like to avoid reading one moderator's posts.

I tried to add the person to my ignore list and the board software says I can't ignore them because they're a moderator.

The posts in question are ordinary posts where the person is just sharing their opinions on a topic like a regular board member. They are not "moderating-related posts" like closing a thread, or explaining why a post was edited.

Please consider changing this feature of the board so that I can ignore this person's regular posts. Alternatively, maybe moderators have a "regular person account" and a "I'm a moderator now account". Alternatively, please explain why I shouldn't be able to ignore a moderator's regular comments on a topic when I can ignore regular users.

Thanks,

2Cor521
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Hugh Laurie was a great Bertie Wooster too--so removed from the House character.

(But I'd take Hugh Grant over him. Well, today, anyway )
Have you seen him playing Kinge George III?

In this scene he meets his new Prime Minister.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
This seems like a reasonable request to me. Why shouldn't moderators be ignorable? We can still be admonished if needed via PM.
+1
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
+1
+2
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The "two account" answer seems to keep things cleanest. If, say, a person who is a moderator complains about the tone of a post, we know if he/she is "wearing the star" or not. I would think it would make the mods more comfortable being able to make posts while making clear they weren't speaking as a mod.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #34

I 've often tried to ignore redduck, but was never allowed to do so. What's up with that? If you guys can ignore me, I don't see why I can't ignore me.

...Hello? Anybody still out there?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I secretly hope I'm on of those other 19 peeps being ignored. I usually post for my own benefit anyway. If not, this might make me number 20.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I secretly hope I'm on of those other 19 peeps being ignored. I usually post for my own benefit anyway. If not, this might make me number 20.
Nope on both counts.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
*For obvious reasons, mods aren't permitted to ignore members.
Yeah, we had to do that manually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Someone will come along any minute now and point out everyone ignores them in the real world...
Boy, you're really firing on all cylinders today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
As it should be IMO, I vote we leave everything as is on this request. We won't agree on everything, but I wouldn't accuse any past or present Moderator of being stupid or confrontational (they do that in private). Ignore is for "doofi" - Mods aren't in that category.
Aren't we supposed to debate Moderating in private anyway?
Just skip posts you don't want to read, easy-peasy. Seriously...
Is it possible that we've already forgotten those dark days when H***$ and Cut-****t were moderators?!?

Have we learned nothing from our past? Once the pain & trauma fades, it's just a slippery slope back down into the pits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Hi all,
I'm fine if others don't want to use the ignore function. I happen to use it a lot on this board. There are a number of folks whose post frequently enough, and are "doofus-y" enough (IMHO, of course) that I'd rather ignore everything they have to say than slog through the 99% dross for the 1% nickel.
REWahoo, yes, I'm aware of that rule, and am grateful that people take on the moderating job on this board. As someone who already ignores ~20 posters, I know I won't ever be a moderator here.
2Cor521
I ignore far more than that (because I think it helps the mods decide where to cull the herd), and I completely agree with you about improving thread readability. There have been threads where as many as 15-20 of the posts have been from my "Ignore Poster" roster, and it greatly improves both the thread and my attitude.

Here's a novel suggestion: perhaps you should PM the mod in question and ask them if they'd mind stepping down. They might be looking for a reason to do so, and their answer might gratify you. And if you were worried about starting a witch hunt or inviting retribution, well... it's probably too late to worry about that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The "two account" answer seems to keep things cleanest. If, say, a person who is a moderator complains about the tone of a post, we know if he/she is "wearing the star" or not. I would think it would make the mods more comfortable being able to make posts while making clear they weren't speaking as a mod.
IIRC there was a discussion about moderator alter egos. It might be tucked away deep in the mod board. I thought the decision was that it'd make everyone even more dysfunctional than we already were.

I believe Hawaii Threads.com had a similar system of "anonymous moderation". The mods would individually log in to the moderator account to do the dirty work, and that way nobody could be accused of playing favorites. The funny thing was that one of the mods had such a distinctive writing style, and would so often get drawn into long policy arguments while she had her mod hat on, that it was clear who was the real modNazi.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Here's a novel suggestion: perhaps you should PM the mod in question and ask them if they'd mind stepping down. They might be looking for a reason to do so, and their answer might gratify you. And if you were worried about starting a witch hunt or inviting retribution, well... it's probably too late to worry about that now.
Good idea. That would solve my particular problem if the mod agreed. Although I have no real opinion one way or the other on this person's moderation skills, so I don't care if the mod is a mod or not. As far as I know, they do a decent job at moderation.

Not worried about witch hunts or retribution...not even really sure what you mean. As far as I know, I've never had a post of mine pulled or edited. I did have a thread that I started get locked once, but that was because other posters got too argumentative or political or something, and in that case I didn't have a problem with the moderation action (although I wished the conversation could have continued on a civil path). I also have not mentioned the mod's name and have done nothing to indicate who it may be. Also, I don't know how many mods there are but I like all of them and respect all of them as moderators, and respect all of them except one as posters. I also have no hard feelings towards anyone, moderator or otherwise, who wants to ignore my postings.

The way I'm handling it now is to glance over at the username when I read a post that I think is doofus-y, say to myself, "Oh yeah, it's that moderator I can't ignore. Rats." and then go back to reading the thread. It's a real dissatisfier for me on this board that I otherwise enjoy a lot, which is why I started this thread. It doesn't sound to me like there's enough interest in changing the way the board operates in this regard, so I'll accept that and move on.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and replies.

2Cor521
Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #39

+1. No one is on my "Ignore list" (yet ). I think mods generally do a good job, although a couple of my posts have been deleted in the past. If I wanted to ignore a mod, I'd skip his/her postings and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Oooh, thanks for the entertaining thread!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Noone ignores me.
Peter Noone posts or lurks here? I loved Herman's Hermits! Even if he ignores you, can you PM me his handle?
LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote