Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many on your ignore list?
none 65 77.38%
one 6 7.14%
two 1 1.19%
three 5 5.95%
four 0 0%
five 4 4.76%
six 1 1.19%
seven 0 0%
eight 1 1.19%
nine 0 0%
ten or more 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Ignore feature
Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Ignore feature

I am curious and I have not yet done a poll using the new software. The new software also allows us to put someone on our ignore list. So, how many do you ignore?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

None for me. I'm always afraid to miss something.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
None for me. I'm always afraid to miss something.

Me either. I'm still looking for a good variable annuity for my IRA.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

How do you add somebody to your ignore list? Seems like clicking on their name that brings up the list of options for that user would give me the add "X" to your ignore list. But it doesn't..

So how do you add somebody to your ignore list?
dgalbraith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So how do you add somebody to your ignore list?
Click on the username of the individual you want to ignore, then click on the profile. There are two clickable options in their profile, one to "Add this user to your buddy list" and "add this user to your ignore list"
Puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting. I get clickable options... For you they are:
View Public Profile
Send private message to Puzzley
Send email to Puzzley
Find more posts by Puzzley
Add Puzzly to your buddy list.

And thats it. Is there something I have to turn on to use the ignore feature? I doubt I'd use it even if I could.. but now I'm curious as to why I don't see it.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Look at the blue header line directly under the user name in the profile. That's where these options are, and they're not underlined, but are clickable.

If you found add Puzzley to your buddy list, the ignore feature should be on the same line to the right. I just looked, and apparently I can ignore myself......

OK, now I see.... you need to click on "view public profile" first.....
Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure where you are talking about. I am looking right now at your post. To the left is your name that is underlined. If I click on that, it brings up a bunch of options. (The ones I wrote above) but the Ignore user is not in those options. Are you talking about somewhere else?

Thanks for your help...
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope I didn't confuse anyone with all the editing of my last post. Again, Click on "view public profile", then you'll find it. Sorry, I should have been more specific.....
Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Found it. Maybe it should be in the other list as well. that would make alot more sense to me. Thats where I looked for it since I can add a buddy there it would seem to make sense I could ignore somebody there as well.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

am I on anyone's ignore list

ROFL
Old 09-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
am I on anyone's ignore list

ROFL
Nope....the ignore list isnt as useful as telling somebody that's where they are going....it replaces "Have a Nice Life" as the epitaph of choice....
Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #13

Even better than an "ignore user" feature would be an "ignore thread" feature.

Sometimes you can like or dislike a user based on the topic, but when you know there is a topic you have ABSOLUTELY no interest in, an "ignore thread" button would really come in handy.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #14

The one thing that I dont understand about this poll....there are a few folks that start some specific threads on politics and some that only respond in the health care reform threads, but are seldom seen in other threads...I am not surprised by it...and can just skip the thread...or ignore the pages of responses...

My issue is usually with the 1-2 posters that I have seen that simply look to "poke a stick" and turn a thread into a debate about them....
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Just yesterday I set up my first "Ignore" for a person who recently gave me a new nickname. Seems to be going OK since if this person writes something interesting, someone else will quote it and I then read part of the post.

Cuppa
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

No - no ignore list. There is not anyone that really annoys me ....yet!

Some of the political posts crack me up -- mostly the way the OP gets flamed :-) no body ever changes their mind - why bother trying?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

don't use it. if I don't like where someone is going, I skip that post or the thread. There is so much to read, I can't read it all anyway.

Mostly, I get puzzled because I don't understand where the fuss came from. Suddenly there is a commotion and I have to go back and reread everthing to try to figure out who made someone upset and why.

I guess I don't take comments too personnally and just come to learn what I can and leave the rest. But then, I don't get into long discussions either - I find the disjointed delay makes it hard for me to have a "real" conversation, so I only make a comment here or there.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

The "Ignore Poster" list is the best part of not being a moderator.

I have 10 11* names on mine, although two of them are duplicates and three others have since departed or been banned. One more poster is on my "thinking about it" list...

I think a master "Ignore Poster" list would give moderators (let alone the entire board) a good indication of who's not helping. Mods would be able to look at the top 5-10 ignored posters and privately suggest to them that they change their ways-- or if the list was public it'd be a good credibility check to help new posters figure out track records.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I think a master "Ignore Poster" list would give moderators (let alone the entire board) a good indication of who's not helping. Mods would be able to look at the top 5-10 ignored posters and privately suggest to them that they change their ways
Finger pointing! I think I like it but suggest the better way would be to remove anyone with more that 1 or two people on their list. Why should 11 people suffer instead of one? The consensus of the poll seems to be that anyone with more than a couple of people on their ignore list might need to look within themselves.

Are stonings less entertaining when not public?
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The "Ignore Poster" list is the best part of not being a moderator.

I have 10 11* names on mine, although two of them are duplicates and three others have since departed or been banned. One more poster is on my "thinking about it" list...

I think a master "Ignore Poster" list would give moderators (let alone the entire board) a good indication of who's not helping. Mods would be able to look at the top 5-10 ignored posters and privately suggest to them that they change their ways-- or if the list was public it'd be a good credibility check to help new posters figure out track records.
Then why does the poll not have a vote from anyone in the ten or more category?