Ignore list?

Yes.

For example, I have both Newguy and BooBoo on my "Ignore Poster" list.
Nords, I don't think its a good idea to single/call out people publicly like this..it's a bit like bullying and just encourages animosity between folks.
Are you able to read my post?

Nords, I don't think its a good idea to single/call out people publicly like this..it's a bit like bullying and just encourages animosity between folks.
Are you able to read my post?
Yes, Dan, I'm reading your posts.

I think that posters capering around under multiple IDs should know that we recognize not only their IP addresses but their writing styles. It seems especially deceitful to be making posts from those different poster IDs to the same thread in an effort to make people think that they're different-- when they're really not.

I can see discarding an ID and starting up a new one when a password is misplaced. I can see doing it for some personal reason like "too much sharing" or avoiding large post counts. But none of those reasons seem to be in effect here, and Newguy has said several times before that he was going to rein in his Chicken Little behavior. Apparently that's no longer the case...

I think it's a shame that the valuable contributions of this board can be sullied by that type of behavior. It doesn't enhance the dignity of the poster behaving in that manner, and it doesn't respect the efforts of the rest of the posters.

I have to believe that there are other posters that agree with Dan Tien.

I'm also sure that there are others who are uncomfortable with an ex-moderator using "inside information" to excuse their attack and making claims that regular posters have no way of verifying for themselves.

Have I given up any right to expect privacy in my PM's to moderators and posters? Knowing up front instead of it being thrown in my face would be preferrable to me, but maybe I'm just in the minority.

Where's a moderator when you need one? smiley face Hey, where's a smiley face when you need one?:eek: oops, figgered it out :)

I dont think Nords is enjoying any special privileges. When I've suspected trolls of using additional user ID's, I've asked the mods and been told whether or not my suspicions had any basis.

It also doesnt appear that any information passed in a private message has been compromised. What did I miss?

Lets not drop the noose on the victim here either, shall we?

Yes, Dan, I'm reading your posts.

I think that posters capering around under multiple IDs should know that we recognize not only their IP addresses but their writing styles. It seems especially deceitful to be making posts from those different poster IDs to the same thread in an effort to make people think that they're different-- when they're really not.

I can see discarding an ID and starting up a new one when a password is misplaced. I can see doing it for some personal reason like "too much sharing" or avoiding large post counts. But none of those reasons seem to be in effect here, and Newguy has said several times before that he was going to rein in his Chicken Little behavior. Apparently that's no longer the case...

I think it's a shame that the valuable contributions of this board can be sullied by that type of behavior. It doesn't enhance the dignity of the poster behaving in that manner, and it doesn't respect the efforts of the rest of the posters.
I see where you're coming from. I haven't been following that close. Glad I'm not on your ignore list.
I do have an old id or 2...as if you didn't know already...I don't know what I was thinking at the time, but I'm probably not the only one here that's made some mistakes in their lives, eh? Right? Well, you can go ahead and clean those fellas out, oops just remembered you're retired....ahh, forget it

I think that posters capering around under multiple IDs should know that we recognize not only their IP addresses

............. and Newguy has said several times before that he was going to rein in his Chicken Little behavior.

CFB
Well, I don't recognize anyone's IP address (do I have access?) and maybe I missed the several times Newguy publicly posted his intention to "rein in his Chicken Little behavior". Seemed like inside information to me but if it's not can I have the ER clue to access this info?

Hey, where's the secret handshake smiley when you need it?:rolleyes:

Thanking you in advance.

After all the years I've been reading Nords posts I don't think for one minute that he would do anything that's not in the best interest of this forum. I feel very comfortable having him know what's going on around here. Moderator or not.

CFB
Well, I don't recognize anyone's IP address (do I have access?) and maybe I missed the several times Newguy publicly posted his intention to "rein in his Chicken Little behavior". Seemed like inside information to me but if it's not can I have the ER clue to access this info?

IP addresses are only visible to the moderators. If you're a mod, each post shows an IP address and there are logs you can dump. However, IP addresses are like post office return addresses...you can write in pretty much whatever you want by going through a proxy or an 'anonymizer' site.

In the instance I provided a demonstration of, I used "The Onion Router" (TOR), a downloadable product that sends your internet traffic through a random series of routers, from which you pop at some random (or selected) point on the globe. Invisible as to who you are or where you're living.

As far as the reining in of the chicken little behavior, that would be here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/newguy888-public-message-28132.html

Approximately 2 hours later, we got "Cindy Sheehan Is Headed Home" and it went on from there.

All of which I had to look up, because he's been on my ignore list for about a month. Not enough content outside the screaming headlines to be interested in.

To be fair to Newguy, I think he has added some good posts about his FIRE experiences and would guess that he feels strongly about some issues....He does make it pretty clear in the threads what the topic is about and posts in "off topics"....It usually isnt my cup of tea, but if you dont like it, dont read the threads....

...but if you dont like it, dont read the threads....

Even though I don't want to read the threads, every time I log on and there is a new post to those threads, I am forced to see them due to the limited capabilities of this forum software.

It just proves the person who designed this forum software hasn't used it enough to realize it's shortfalls and imperfections.

To be fair to

Newguy...OAP...DLAT....CFB.....Son of CFB.....Nords......

Fair to everybody.........'cept Tryan, who when I was on vacation made claims of 19% yearly returns on real estate against my 9-11%. Wait...did he say compounded yearly?

To be fair to Newguy, I think he has added some good posts about his FIRE experiences and would guess that he feels strongly about some issues....He does make it pretty clear in the threads what the topic is about and posts in "off topics"....It usually isnt my cup of tea, but if you dont like it, dont read the threads....

Thanks

What seems to be however my posts that became an issue for Nords were ones that were not his political slant. Heck I made it clear to any and everyone here on the forum that I sometimes have no idea what I am posting about!

Man its just a forum, I don't take this stuff that seriously. I don't take myself seriously. Life is too short to worry about the small stuff. Ignore lists, they are sooo High school.

IP addresses are only visible to the moderators.

As far as the reining in of the chicken little behavior, that would be here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/newguy888-public-message-28132.html

Well I'm not ready to condemn someone when you, yourself say the IP is only visible to the Mod and that it is not something you'd want to hang your hat on.

And the single, year old post doesn't seem to support the original claim. Thanks for trying to shed so light on the entire situation but I think the explaining needs to be done from the source.

When the IP addresses match, thats a pretty good indication that you have the same guy posting under multiple names. Having them different is not an indication of two different people, however.

I'm of the understanding that the poster in question posted from the same IP address, using multiple user IDs, presumably because he'd taken a little too much heat under his primary name and wanted to 'peanut butter' the stupid, non-ER related threads out a little bit.

Not the end of the world, but its really not what the place is all about. Its particularly onerous when the poster acknowledges that the behavior is unsatisfactory and that they intend to change, then they continue the same behavior.

By the way, that post is from last week, not a year ago.

And...thats all I have to say about...that!

By the way, that post is from last week, not a year ago.

And...thats all I have to say about...that!

CFB
sorry I was looking at join date. but when I rechecked the date was 6/8/07..last month.

i do agree .............. that's all folks!!!!!!!!

Now in your six transactions.........did tryan dust you too?? Isn't he from the east coast? :rant:

IP addresses are only visible to the moderators. If you're a mod, each post shows an IP address and there are logs you can dump. However, IP addresses are like post office return addresses...you can write in pretty much whatever you want by going through a proxy or an 'anonymizer' site.
The old moderator IP tools were pretty slick-- you clicked on a poster's name to get to their profile, and then there were two links to "check IPs". I forget the names of the two links but one listed all the IPs that poster had ever used, and another listed all the posters who'd ever used a specific IP. So you could check both names & IP addresses. IIRC you could also see what IP addresses they'd used for their last dozen or so posts and whether or not there had been any login errors.

I haven't used these IP tools much (they're much more awkward, requiring a second login and a lot of keystrokes) but I can't ever recall anyone other than CFB using a proxy router. Some posters would have literally dozens of IP addresses from using dialup, others would have two or three from switching among work/home/travel, some would only have one.

It's not rocket science and the IP address wasn't usually the first sign. Moderator antenna would twitch when a poster reminded a moderator of someone else. It'd be similar vocabulary or sentence structure or a certain subject or wading right into another poster without seeming to need to get acquainted first. A very first post jumping into a subject without any sort of introduction might be a tipoff too. (The same frequently applied to spammers.) So by the time a moderator found one IP address with two user names there was never any doubt. We'd post our findings to the moderator's section of the board and talk about what, if anything, needed to be done.

If I remember someone using multiple IDs when I was a moderator, and if it looks like it's happening again, then I'm going to call moderator attention to it. If it looks like two posters are suspiciously similar in nature then I'm going to call moderator attention to it. And if it's spam, then I'm going to... you get the point. But I'll also let you know what I think you're doing.

If I'm not responding directly to your posts then it's probably because you're on my "Ignore Poster" list. But if it's really important to you to get my attention then feel free to send me a PM. Or forward your complaints to a moderator, and I'm sure things will get worked out!

Having said that, I won't be on the board much between now and the 26th.

If I'm not responding directly to your posts then it's probably because you're on my "Ignore Poster" list. But if it's really important to you to get my attention then feel free to send me a PM. Or forward your complaints to a moderator, and I'm sure things will get worked out!

Having said that, I won't be on the board much between now and the 26th.

So the ignore list is just meant to be "I'll ignore you in public but I can't really ignore you (please love me) so I'll go thru other posters to see what's going on and then act like I'm all about being forthright so I'll accept your adulation/unwarranted criticism in private". Passive/agressive?

Would someone please tell the poster to act like a grown man? I may be in an ignoring mood.

If it's important for you to respond to someone on your ignore list, don't. Directly OR indirectly. You're defeating the purpose! But, we're all on the edge of our seats, are we on your list or not?

Having said that, I'll probably be here about every day for the next few weeks.

Ignore Poster. Helpful tool or people basher?

If you're not on my list, and you're not, question why!

Much Aloha
Honobob

I finally have someone to put on ignore, does it handle PMs too?

I just received this.

Hello,

I read your post concerning travel. I recently found a way to save on all of my travel and receive Travel Agent rates. Please have look at my site and listen to this 3 minute recorded call
1-646-222-0102

Here's to saving money!

Shelley Markley
http://www.tripsondemand.com

I'm pretty sure that PM's from someone on your ignore list dont go through either, but I havent tried it.

I think originally the 'ignore user' list ONLY worked on PM's and was later expanded to cover posts.

Dan, you shouldn't be bothered by shelleym again. That account has been banned.
Considering the five-user limit on PM addressing, I wonder how much she expected to get for what must've been a stupendous investment of labor. Especially from a board full of people who don't need cheap travel websites to learn about cheap travel.

I'm pretty sure that PM's from someone on your ignore list dont go through either, but I havent tried it.
Never thought of that... maybe that's why users can send both PMs and e-mails.

Might be effective on both. I thought it was a block on the send side where the s/w would check the recipients ignore list before allowing a message send. But that was an old vbulletin extension for some godawful old version of vb, back about 6-7 years ago. Add in my faulty memory and...

There have been several posters who periodically abandon one account and start a new one. I've never really had a problem with that, but I don't recall someone posting as two different identities simultaneously being tolerated for very long, especially if they converse with themselves in the same threads.

On the other hand, nobody is actively searching for this. Usually what happens is one or two users in particular will sniff it out and report it, although in at least half the cases there has been no evidence supporting the dual identity theory.

I don't think any suspected multi-account poster has used onion routing here...I would expect that to show up as IP's from unrelated sources over time. Usually IPs from one poster are consistent within a service provider or two...home and work, or perhaps they changed providers during their posting career.

I doubt its something that happens very often, unless someone wants to be a jerk and has a little knowledge. Doesnt take much to go to a 'cloak' or 'anonymizer' web site, punch in the address and go to town.

It doesnt really get suspicious until a user shows up and immediately asks that the IP addresses get checked, because they know they're going to be different. ;)

Dan, you shouldn't be bothered by shelleym again. That account has been banned.
Thanks Wahoo.

There have been several posters who periodically abandon one account and start a new one. I've never really had a problem with that, but I don't recall someone posting as two different identities simultaneously being tolerated for very long, especially if they converse with themselves in the same threads. On the other hand, nobody is actively searching for this. Usually what happens is one or two users in particular will sniff it out and report it, although in at least half the cases there has been no evidence supporting the dual identity theory. I don't think any suspected multi-account poster has used onion routing here...I would expect that to show up as IP's from unrelated sources over time. Usually IPs from one poster are consistent within a service provider or two...home and work, or perhaps they changed providers during their posting career.
Same here. Confession time, although I think most know this already, for a time I was DanTien, Daneboy and IntoThe Mystic....I think I was trying to break free of my pollmeister stigma, to get CutThroat to get off my back about not wanting to eat farmed salmon, etc., never did anything malicious, don't remember talking to myself on the board, but do here at home . I'm DT all time now though, although I remember that some thought ITM had a better persona than DT.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom