Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might try the old school method of editing the hosts file. I used to do this all the time before popup blockers. Here is a link to an overview of how it is done rather than writing it all up...

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

Now the caveat, I don't have an ios device to play with so I assume it has standard networking features ( the hosts file is very standard ) but I have NOT done it on ios. Would suggest you go googling for ios hosts file to see if it can be done.

Another thing to try is on your home lan, login to your router and see it allows for blocked sites. I use netgear most of the time and can add doubleclick.net to the blocked site list. might be worth a try. I'm not getting the pop ups so I can't confirm this but I have used it for other issues.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
anyone else getting sick of the ING pop-up...pesty
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I started seeing a popup on my iPad this morning. It is irritating. But it isn't just ING.
Yep, and not just ING. It's irritating as hell. Would be great if Mods could fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I think we need an ED pop-up.
You so funny!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Yep, and not just ING. It's irritating as hell. Would be great if Mods could fix it.
It sure would. But to paraphrase what has been said elsewhere, that takes a different paygrade.

I'm sure somewhere in the internets some young nerdish type will figure a way around this.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Administrator

Sorry about the issues, pop-up ads should not be running on our site. I have an iPad and tried to replicate the issue but I am in South America and I think it's being geotargeted.

Sometimes advertisers sneak in ads on a Friday knowing the ad ops teams are short handed over the weekend. I find it strange that a huge firm like ING would do this but there are so many levels of marketing on the internet is could be a dirty/aggressive lead generation firm that is doing this. If the issue does not resolve itself by the end of day on Monday I'll contact Google Adsense to ask them what's up.

If possible, can you let me know the destination where you end up if you click?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

here is where it takes you..
Capital One Small Business
Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
I get this as well.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I get this as well.
Repeating myself, but it was ING before it was CapitalOne on my iPad FWIW...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #28
gone traveling

I'm still waiting for "the lady in yellow" that everybody else has been speaking about ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I just checked in to see if there was any progress...had to close it 4 times to get to this point...errr...if I had known we were up to two pages I could have skipped page one and saved one closing.....idea...maybe we could start a game and see how few times we have to close it to get somewhere on this site...that would be fun?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

It's still gone from my iPad after I cleared cookies and data yesterday, though it appears it may have been something else based on others experiences. Wish I could help...

[edit 15:24: the #€!%&@$ popup is back on my iPad again!!! If there was any way to retaliate with ING and CapitalOne, I'd love to...]

Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

The ipad app has no ads......

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
The ipad app has no ads......

SIS

i see your right...would have to get use to the format...but I could not figure out how to post

can you post on the app?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's still gone from my iPad after I cleared cookies and data yesterday, though it appears it may have been something else based on others experiences. Wish I could help...

[edit 15:24: the #€!%&@$ popup is back on my iPad again!!! If there was any way to retaliate with ING and CapitalOne, I'd love to...]
Yes. Same for me. I did not see your edit until after clearing cookies and history. My PW file was lost and I haven't rebuilt / replaced it yet, so logging back into my usual morning browsing sites will be fun today.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911

i see your right...would have to get use to the format...but I could not figure out how to post

can you post on the app?
Yup. Squarish icon on upper right corner.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #35

I've still never seen it. I have popups disabled in the Safari preferences on my iPad, which may or may not have a bearing on what the ER app does.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

ipad app has no popups and ...no ads....cool....I will try this for awhile untill they stop tring to make money off the popups
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've still never seen it. I have popups disabled in the Safari preferences on my iPad, which may or may not have a bearing on what the ER app does.
Most if not all of us afflicted have popups turned off in Safari, but this particular ING/CapitalOne popup seems to have found a way around that. It's annoying enough that visiting ER.org is less desirable at the moment, but I assume it won't last forever.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

HELLO

It is still on. It would be nice if you would just come out and tell us that the forum is not going to remove it and is sticking it to the ipad owners over some old grudge with apple.

Anyway I see that we have an ebay ad now so at least there is something new.

by

Bob
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

What annoys me with this stupid pop-up ad takes maybe 20% of the screen in landscape mode. It's ridiculous.

FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
What annoys me with this stupid pop-up ad takes maybe 20% of the screen in landscape mode. It's ridiculous.
If only there was a small group of users who bring these concerns to the board's owner, and somehow influence him to do something to... what's the right word here... hmmm... perhaps the action verb "moderate"?... the problem...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote