Instant email notification not working?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For years, I have had my thread subscription set to automatically subscribe to any thread I post to, and I have the Thread Subscription options set to 'instant email notification'.

I have not received a thread email notification since 07NOV.

The threads are showing up in 'subscribed threads', and they are tagged 'instant notification'. My email address is still the same and listed properly, and they don't appear to be being blocked on my side.

Did something break?

-ERD50

Try changing it to an alternate email to see if it works.

First, I just turned the feature off, then on - but no change.

Then, as you suggested, I changed it to a g-mail address I have, I got the change notice, responded and I started getting updates as before.

I changed it back to the old one (first checking that I had support@early-retirement.org white-listed), and I don't get the change email to that old address that worked for years.

I switched again to the g-mail address, got the change notice, replied and that works.

Why would it not like my old email address after all these years? FYI, that address has an underscore char "_" in the name, I've seen that mess up some systems. But then something changed as of 07NOV2011.

-ERD50

It is my understanding that we have changed email provider and that some people (including me) are experiencing problems with notifications. What email service do you use?

The one that stopped working is my local (small) ISP.

I'll PM you the domain name.

-ERD50

It is my understanding that we have changed email provider and that some people (including me) are experiencing problems with notifications. What email service do you use?

This is accurate and we're still trying to resolve assorted issues with notifications. They impact outlook 2007 users, hot mail users and many small providers as well.

First, I just turned the feature off, then on - but no change.

Then, as you suggested, I changed it to a g-mail address I have, I got the change notice, responded and I started getting updates as before.

I changed it back to the old one (first checking that I had support@early-retirement.org white-listed), and I don't get the change email to that old address that worked for years.

I switched again to the g-mail address, got the change notice, replied and that works.

Why would it not like my old email address after all these years? FYI, that address has an underscore char "_" in the name, I've seen that mess up some systems. But then something changed as of 07NOV2011.

-ERD50

The one that stopped working is my local (small) ISP.

I'll PM you the domain name.

-ERD50
Maybe the ISP kicked on some new spam filters and is blocking ER.org mail. Or maybe you accidentally marked one as spam and are filtering it at your end?

Maybe the ISP kicked on some new spam filters and is blocking ER.org mail. Or maybe you accidentally marked one as spam and are filtering it at your end?

Maybe, but I did verify I have that domain white-listed, so that should over-ride anything else, I think?

Since the mods/admins have acknowledged there is an issue across several domains, I'm not going to bother my ISP with any questions on their filtering. Plus, the gmail address that I kicked it over to is working fine, so I'm OK now. If anyone else is having the problem, they could easily set up a gmail account for this purpose.

-ERD50

I don't mean to hijack your thread but along the lines of "why doesn't this work when it used to", sometimes a thread I have read is a different color than the ones I have not read. There is no rhyme or reason to this, some are colored some are not and it doesn't matter if I posted in them or not. Why? I used to be able to tell threads I had read based upon the color but now I can't always rely on that. Same pc, same OS nothing is different.

TIA.

I'm also having notification problems. I haven't changed anything. Using a major provider and I do all my email online via webmail.

Better, now a new problem?

Well, things were going OK to my google email address, but in the past couple days, I've started to get multiple updates on several threads emailed to me - the same ones appear over and over again throughout the day. I'm not sure what triggers it - it seems like the whole group gets sent whenever any notice occurs?

My in box is filling up faster than I can trash them (not really, but it's a lot!).

I tried logging in/out. Same thing.

Anyone else seeing this?

-ERD50

Well, things were going OK to my google email address, but in the past couple days, I've started to get multiple updates on several threads emailed to me - the same ones appear over and over again throughout the day. I'm not sure what triggers it - it seems like the whole group gets sent whenever any notice occurs?

My in box is filling up faster than I can trash them (not really, but it's a lot!).

I tried logging in/out. Same thing.

Anyone else seeing this?

-ERD50

I use GMail, and am having no issues. I wish I could suggest something to help - sorry.

OK - I seem to have the same group of 12 during a certain time period that just keep popping up time and time again. I'll try unsubscribing from those specific threads and see what happens.

-ERD50

Duplicates issue problem was on my end - fixed

OK - I seem to have the same group of 12 during a certain time period that just keep popping up time and time again. I'll try unsubscribing from those specific threads and see what happens.

-ERD50

Odd timing with the other er.org notification issue, plus all my duplicates were from er.org.

But, I looked at my gmail on the web - the duplicates were not there. Some googling indicated this can happen if the Thunderbird files get corrupted. After backing up my email folder, and just deleting the ".msf" file for that account (it is rebuilt on start-up w/o losing anything), all is back to normal.

Apparently, it thought they were not loaded and must of kept reloading them from the cache.

-ERD50

Try changing it to an alternate email to see if it works.

I still can't figure out how to get my main ISP (Earthlink) to allow the mails from E-R to come through. They are not even getting far enough to get caught in my spam filter.

Switching the notifications to another email worked for me...now all I have to do is configure Mail to pick up the incoming messages at that address as well as my main email.

I still can't figure out how to get my main ISP (Earthlink) to allow the mails from E-R to come through.
I suspect the gerbil running on the little wheel powering the server is eating your emails. :)

I didn't realize Earthlink was still in business...

Last edited:
I still can't figure out how to get my main ISP (Earthlink) to allow the mails from E-R to come through. They are not even getting far enough to get caught in my spam filter.

Switching the notifications to another email worked for me...now all I have to do is configure Mail to pick up the incoming messages at that address as well as my main email.

I don't think the problem is on your end. There is nothing you can do (other than make sure they are not blocked or sent to some folder you are not looking at, or some other rule applies). Apparently, the problem is that the er-org mail sender thingee has problems with some addresses. It worked for me for years, then they made undisclosed changes, and it stopped. But when I switched er-org to point to my gmail address, it worked again.

My ISP email address (the one that does not work) has a 'special' char (not alpha-numeric). I've seen other systems that didn't play nice with such an address. But it's legal, so the problem is on the sender side. That may or may not be the er-org issue.

-ERD50

This is accurate and we're still trying to resolve assorted issues with notifications. They impact outlook 2007 users, hot mail users and many small providers as well.

Is EarthLink one of them? See earlier post by kyounge1956.

Any update since 11/16/2011?

-ERD50

Is EarthLink one of them? See earlier post by kyounge1956.

Any update since 11/16/2011?

-ERD50

Earthlink is still not passing mail and we are still looking for solutions :(

I didn't realize Earthlink was still in business...
Like AOL dial-up, I suspect that most of their customers are no longer using their computers. That really conserves bandwidth.

My Dad was paying Earthlink $21.95/month for 18 months after he stopped using e-mail.

Back
Top Bottom