Join Early Retirement Today

Is it possible to add a Night Mode to the ER iPad app?
Old 08-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it possible to add a Night Mode to the ER iPad app?

Title says it all, and I'd be willing to pay for it. Would love to see it on the iPhone too. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
surferLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Administrator

I moved the thread to the Forum Admin.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok I'll bite, what's a night mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

Why not just use this technique? It's one of my favorites.
Once you set this up (takes less than a minute), you can just triple-click the Home button to toggle between normal and low-light modes.

How to activate your iOS 8 iPhone or iPad's secret-ish Night Mode feature
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

Nice tip, braumeister, thanks!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, triple clicking the home button will invert the colors, and I do that now as a poor-mans solution. However, it can be quite inconvienent when switching between apps and then always having to triple-click back and forth. Also, when there are links and such, it becomes a visual problem, or if you want to see a picture someone has. So as long as you never leave the app it works somewhat okay, but eventually you have to switch it back everytime you leave the app. That being said, the fact that people use the triple click feature now just emphasizes the need for the feature.

It is somewhat common in many apps that are heavily reading-centric for there to be two apps available, a free one, and a paid one. The paid one almost always has a low-light/night mode. Like I said, I'm more than willing to pay for the feature, and I think there are many people that would do it as well. For most people that use a low-light mode, they use that mode all the time, not just at night becuase it's easier on the eyes, even during the day. For the ER app, it opens into a white page, which is just blindingly white, and there is so much white color in the app everywhere you navigate that is strains the eyes after a very short time. I just think it'd make the app more appealing to almost everyone.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferLife View Post
Yes, triple clicking the home button will invert the colors, and I do that now as a poor-mans solution. However, it can be quite inconvienent when switching between apps and then always having to triple-click back and forth.
I don't think you understand.
The method I showed is not app-specific.
Triple-click and your phone (or pad) goes to low-light mode (nothing to do with colors) until you triple-click again. Switching apps is irrelevant.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the poster meant you must turn this off when you switch apps. Which is what you confirmed. Poster wants an app with black background and white text.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SurferLife, welcome to the Early Retirement Forum. We will take your feedback under advisement as we always do. But please give us the courtesy of at least introducing yourself by starting a thread in the "Hi, I Am.." section of the forum so that we can get to know you a little better. Thank you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just turn down the brightness control (accessible with one flick from the bottom of the screen to get to Control Center) when I'm reading in a dark room...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

On my Android tablet I use E-R through tapatalk, which does have a 'dark mode'.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I think the poster meant you must turn this off when you switch apps. Which is what you confirmed. Poster wants an app with black background and white text.
Yes, exactly.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
SurferLife, welcome to the Early Retirement Forum. We will take your feedback under advisement as we always do. But please give us the courtesy of at least introducing yourself by starting a thread in the "Hi, I Am.." section of the forum so that we can get to know you a little better. Thank you.
It seems as though I've been caught lurking. Yes, I have been meaning to introduce myself, but just haven't gotten there yet. I will try and fix that in the near future.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
On my Android tablet I use E-R through tapatalk, which does have a 'dark mode'.
Really? I have that app loaded on the iPad but I haven't had the time to explore it yet. I was going to use it for some other forums that dont' have apps. Do you find the functinality to be good when comared to the ER app?
Old 08-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Really? I have that app loaded on the iPad but I haven't had the time to explore it yet. I was going to use it for some other forums that dont' have apps. Do you find the functinality to be good when comared to the ER app?
The functions are much better, IMO. Better suited to a tablet.
As with most apps you have to find a way to turn off notifications and all the other bells and whistles you don't need.
On an ipad there is a cost. On android it is free.
Look it up and try it out. You can always uninstall it.

Edit: The E-R app is powered by tapatalk on an Android. No cost.
Not sure about the Apple IO$ platform. Someone else can comment on whether or not they use Tapatalk, or whether or not it works on IOS.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The functions are much better, IMO. Better suited to a tablet.
As with most apps you have to find a way to turn off notifications and all the other bells and whistles you don't need.
On an ipad there is a cost. On android it is free.
Look it up and try it out. You can always uninstall it.

Edit: The E-R app is powered by tapatalk on an Android. No cost.
Not sure about the Apple IO$ platform. Someone else can comment on whether or not they use Tapatalk, or whether or not it works on IOS.

I'm now using tapatalk for iPad and it's not bad at all. It has a nice night mode color palate, it's not just straight black (although if it was straight black I wouldn't complain). My wife will much prefer this over the previous work-around which would sometimes simulate a strobe-light effect in the bedroom while she was trying to sleep. I appreciate the recommendation! The only problem now is that I also added a motorcycle forum (the original reason I purchased the app.) My involvement in that forum might cause a bit of a delay on my road to early retirement!

I did notice the nice emoji's are now gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if available on IOS but "Twilight" app on android does custom dimming and switches to red tint. Very useful when checking anything on device at night. Nothing like being blasted in your eyeballs by a nice bright tablet/phone first thing in morning--twilight app avoids that problem.
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a program that does what Twilight does for my desktop Mac, and it's simply wonderful. In fact, it's always active even during mid-day, but the levels do change in response to the time/position of the sun, so it adjusts as the seasons change. I tried to find such an app for the iPhone/iPad and have not had any success; Twilight is not available for iOS. I think some of the functionality needed to do it is locked down by Apple, because I'm sure if it could be done, it would have been done years ago.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:05 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a program that does what Twilight does for my desktop Mac, and it's simply wonderful. In fact, it's always active even during mid-day, but the levels do change in response to the time/position of the sun, so it adjusts as the seasons change. I tried to find such an app for the iPhone/iPad and have not had any success; Twilight is not available for iOS. I think some of the functionality needed to do it is locked down by Apple, because I'm sure if it could be done, it would have been done years ago.

I could probably use that for my desktop... would clue me in that it's time for bed!
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

The program is called f.lux if you're interested.