Is Search Wacko Here?

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Searched for various things and got nonsense results......at least based on the Titles found. Tried using google w/ site: (specified) and got reasonable results.

amazon.com store card, 529 plans, estimated taxes.....seemingly anything would work here

One suggestion that will help get better results - check the option to "Show results as threads" vs show as posts.

never noticed that before...but that is the default.....maybe the forum doesn't like Macs

never noticed that before...but that is the default.....maybe the forum doesn't like Macs

I'm on a PC and my default is show as posts.

I agree the Google search usually does a better job unless you happen to know who made the post and can search by user name.

just verified: threads is the default; went and toggled it anyway....threads to posts and back to threads.........same results. Will flee to google again.

Searched for various things and got nonsense results......at least based on the Titles found. Tried using google w/ site: (specified) and got reasonable results.

Glad it is not just me. I am always amazed when people can come up with old posts or info using Search. I am using a Mac also.

Glad it is not just me. I am always amazed when people can come up with old posts or info using Search. I am using a Mac also.

Do you know this trick I learned from somewhere......instead of using the native search built in to a particular site, go to google.com , input what you are searching for and then append w/o the quotes "site: early-retirement.org"
Usually works better for me than most native search functions.

I do know that you can search on a word, and not find anything, but you search on the plural, and a bunch of posts came up. This happened to me lately and it surprised me.

Do you know this trick I learned from somewhere......instead of using the native search built in to a particular site, go to google.com , input what you are searching for and then append w/o the quotes "site: early-retirement.org"
Usually works better for me than most native search functions.
+1
When trying a site that's new to me, I give their search function a try. Google has always been better.

Back
Top Bottom