Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Is there a term limit for mods?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there a term limit for mods?

This post is not intended to criticize the mods, moderation of this forum, moderation in general, etc.

Is there a term limit for mods? Is management of the opinion that some fresh blood in the mod pool from time to time might be healthy?

Please remove this post if it is inappropriate or violates forum rules somehow.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Generally, moderators burn out after a few years on the job. So while there is no term limit per se, there is a natural turnover. Fresh blood was added to the mod pool last August.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting, I never thought of that. I'd like to see what the rules are about terms or if there are any.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Generally, moderators burn out after a few years on the job. So while there is no term limit per se, there is a natural turnover. Fresh blood was added to the mod pool last August.
Would you care to offer any insight into the selection process/criteria for new mods?

- George Orwell

Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Would you care to offer any insight into the selection process/criteria for new mods?
Why, thinking of applying? If so, just send a PM to one of the mods or admins, and we'll be sure to consider you next time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no vote but I think Brewer would be a good candidate. After all he's been around here for 10 years or so and helps every one out with some of the most difficult questions. Good choice W2R!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why, thinking of applying? If so, just send a PM to one of the mods or admins, and we'll be sure to consider you next time.
I applied in the past and was not chosen. Now that the forum is a business, I am here solely for my amusement, not to grow someone else's business. Thanks for the thought, though.

- George Orwell

Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I applied in the past and was not chosen. Now that the forum is a business, I am here solely for my amusement, not to grow someone else's business. Thanks for the thought, though.
Don't feel bad - - often those among those who are considered, who are ultimately selected do decline, because they have other uses for their time. We do understand! Still, thus far we have been fully staffed with others representing a broad spectrum of our more active members, who are able to volunteer their time and efforts at this time.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't feel bad - - often those who are selected do decline, because they have other uses for their time. We do understand! Still, thus far we have been fully staffed with others representing a broad spectrum of our more active members, who are able to volunteer their time and efforts at this time.
Oh, I do not feel bad. There are many jobs I don't want, not least of which is mod of this forum. I would imagine that you might have volunteers if the secret society were looking for joiners, though.

- George Orwell

Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, I do not feel bad. There are many jobs I don't want, not least of which is mod of this forum. I would imagine that you might have volunteers if the secret society were looking for joiners, though.
Do you have a point, other than mod-bashing?

Please feel free to PM any mod about your questions regarding the selection process for a position that you clearly do not want and that we have no problem filling.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you have a point, other than mod-bashing?
As I stated at the outset, I have no interest in bashing mods or anyone else. I really am curious as to the inner workings of mod tenure and selection. If this thread is inappropriate or against the rules, please delete it.

- George Orwell

Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
As I stated at the outset, I have no interest in bashing mods or anyone else. I really am curious as to the inner workings of mod tenure and selection. If this thread is inappropriate or against the rules, please delete it.
I understand why there might be some interest in this topic and so maybe I can offer some insight.

Mods aren't term limited. As pointed out earlier, they tend to come and go as interests and attention change. That said, it takes quite a while for a new mod to become comfortable (steep learning curve) in the position and so we try to keep churn low.

There is no application process to become a moderator; instead, potential candidates are invited based on their posting history and tenor. There is no cookie cutter criteria for selection. We need mods with various strengths and skills and who can moderate both independently and also is comfortable with group decision processes. Some have good tech chops, others are excellent diplomats and others has a high tolerance for potshots and snipes. Others, not so much. Having a mix of these skills seems to get a pretty good balance and so we often (when there is a need) will seek out a member as a new mod who can help keep that balance.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and understand the curiosity but as with most things related to board moderation, the selection process is private and there are no polls, vote or public popularity contests. If you have a specific question or concern please direct it to a site team member via PM.