Join Early Retirement Today

Less moderatation???
Old 05-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Less moderatation???

Hey, it looks like we've lost moderators. I've missed Astromeria and now it looks like Cutthroat is no longer listed.

Can a non-moderator board be far behind? I know the moderators have their own board so they can talk about the rest of us, but maybe it's time for a board that does not allow moderators. We could move everything they censor over to the non-moderator board and have threads devoted to a complete free-for-all. I could finally find out what Brewer has been posting.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Less moderatation???
Old 05-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Hey, it looks like we've lost moderators. I've missed Astromeria and now it looks like Cutthroat is no longer listed.

Can a non-moderator board be far behind? I know the moderators have their own board so they can talk about the rest of us, but maybe it's time for a board that does not allow moderators. We could move everything they censor over to the non-moderator board and have threads devoted to a complete free-for-all. I could finally find out what Brewer has been posting.
wow, sgeeee, I was just comtemplating that while eating my bratwurst...wondering if there has been a moderator downsizing...pretty sure Nords, Martha & Rich can carry the extra load if they have too
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DanTien,
Welcome back!
I don't read many boards.
I like this one because of the civil and different opinions offered - it is very mature in my opinion.
I'm amazed at the number of posts that people make and the amount of effort some put into answering the newcomers. Some of the questions do get repetitive.
I can understand how some might outgrow or need a change every now and then.

I think an unmoderated board might get out of hand with some of the crazies out there. In a way I feel sorry for the "trollers" out there. What kind of life must they have. Is there a 12 step program for them?
Old 05-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Andy is consolidating the moderator group in anticipation of changes to the board software. Don't ask me what everything is going to look like, I am not a teckie. I am not even sure how to spell teckie.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Techie.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
DanTien,
Welcome back!
I don't read many boards.
I like this one because of the civil and different opinions offered - it is very mature in my opinion.
I'm amazed at the number of posts that people make and the amount of effort some put into answering the newcomers. Some of the questions do get repetitive.
I can understand how some might outgrow or need a change every now and then.

I think an unmoderated board might get out of hand with some of the crazies out there. In a way I feel sorry for the "trollers" out there. What kind of life must they have. Is there a 12 step program for them?
Hey dex, glad to find you here...it is a special place...I know the moderators work hard at making it that way...
Old 05-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Can a non-moderator board be far behind?
Yes, it's called "Morningstar". H0cus used to post there all the time. He probably still does.

Quote:
I know the moderators have their own board so they can talk about the rest of us
It's pretty thrilling stuff, like stopping the one-post spammers and finally figuring out that "johanne" was actually mike-1. We chew over the behavior of those who only drop by when their blog's visitor count is down and they feel the need to drive more traffic that way (you all know who you are). We also recently voted to double our pay and to raise our bonuses by 50%. Dory's also handing out stock options in anticipation of the big IPO... send your résumés in now before the allocations are all gone.

Most of the posts on the moderator board are driven by reported posts and by PMs to the moderators from posters who object to something they see on the board. When I see a new post on the moderator's board I think "Oh, good, more business to take care of." We'd rather spend our time out here with you guys instead of chasing down the anarchists & miscreants...

So tell us, SG, are you more disturbed by (1) the thought that the moderators might be talking about you or (2) the thought that the moderators might not be talking about you?

Quote:
but maybe it's time for a board that does not allow moderators. We could move everything they censor over to the non-moderator board and have threads devoted to a complete free-for-all. I could finally find out what Brewer has been posting.
It's a free world, SG, go start your own board and don't let the door hit you on the way out from this one...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yes, it's called "Morningstar". H0cus used to post there all the time. He probably still does.
It's pretty thrilling stuff, like stopping the one-post spammers and finally figuring out that "johanne" was actually mike-1. We chew over the behavior of those who only drop by when their blog's visitor count is down and they feel the need to drive more traffic that way (you all know who you are). We also recently voted to double our pay and to raise our bonuses by 50%. Dory's also handing out stock options in anticipation of the big IPO... send your résumés in now before the allocations are all gone.

Most of the posts on the moderator board are driven by reported posts and by PMs to the moderators from posters who object to something they see on the board. When I see a new post on the moderator's board I think "Oh, good, more business to take care of." We'd rather spend our time out here with you guys instead of chasing down the anarchists & miscreants...

So tell us, SG, are you more disturbed by (1) the thought that the moderators might be talking about you or (2) the thought that the moderators might not be talking about you?
It's a free world, SG, go start your own board and don't let the door hit you on the way out from this one...
You're sounding pretty defensive to me, Nords -- and I still don't know what Brewer's posting.

But don't worry about me trying to take control away from you, Nords. You seem to have a tight grip on things. I wasn't even thinking of opening up the whole forum to non-moderated adults. My thought was that the trend to less moderation might make it possible to have one board where moderation was banned. People could take conversations there if they didn't want to upset the moderators, and posters who wanted to be protected from unsupervised adults could simply avoid that board. I guess even that might still seem threatening to some. I think I misread the implications of the moderator reduction trend.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don't mind being moderated, as long it is exclusively and very sternly done by one of our lovely doms.

ha
Old 05-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I don't mind being moderated, as long it is exclusively and very sternly done by one of our lovely doms.

ha
Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My thought was that the trend to less moderation might make it possible to have one board where moderation was banned. People could take conversations there if they didn't want to upset the moderators, and posters who wanted to be protected from unsupervised adults could simply avoid that board.
If you're proposing a section of the board something like Greaney's old "Anything Goes" with its "towel-snapping humor", that sounds like a great idea to me. (I wonder why Greaney closed that one down?) For a start all the political threads could go there...

And you don't even have to resort to attempts to antagonize the moderators-- you could just take it up with the admins. Of course you'd actually have to ask for something in a cooperative manner instead of thowing spitballs from the back of the classroom, but hey, you shouldn't feel threatened by that lack of control either!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #12

Quote:
If you're proposing a section of the board something like Greaney's old "Anything Goes" with its "towel-snapping humor", that sounds like a great idea to me. (I wonder why Greaney closed that one down?) For a start all the political threads could go there...

And you don't even have to resort to attempts to antagonize the moderators-- you could just take it up with the admins. Of course you'd actually have to ask for something in a cooperative manner instead of thowing spitballs from the back of the classroom, but hey, you shouldn't feel threatened by that lack of control either!
You sound angry, Nords. I wonder why that is -- and why you think this thread is an attempt "to antagonize the moderators".

I'm not a professional psychiatrist, but this is the kind of flare-up that was way too common in the workplace. Do you miss having the authority you used to have in the office? Maybe you could take on some volunteer activities that could replace that. 8)

I hope you feel more at peace soon.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #13

Quote:
We chew over the behavior of those who only drop by when their blog's visitor count is down and they feel the need to drive more traffic that way (you all know who you are).
Have you been chewing over me I don't understand the concern if you have been - I'm very tough and dried out- please explain...
I'm one who has a blog listed in my profile and it does appear under my posts and in some cases I've cut out my previous posts that I enjoyed creating and put them in my blog and placed a link to them in their place....I figure they belong to me and maybe more than a few non ER forum readers might want to read them

The forum provides the ability to list my blog - Thank you! - I think it's because its a mutual admiration society - the forum wants me to send traffic its way and I can get some back...am I revealing too much behind the curtain.....
The forum has become a business that is earning money, however meager, from the posts that the community including me has created.
To me it's odd that someone can earn money off of your posts...I earn a few cents from people looking at my blog and sometimes clicking on an ad....the blog is a very humble effort and anyone who feels like visiting I am very grateful and flattered - I'm making about a buck two eighty if you know what I mean - I'm not even bothering to activate the payment process from Google - its peanuts and I don't need the dough - it's really about expressing myself in my clumsy way and trying to connect with people...
When the forum was what I felt an alturistic endeavor by dory I looked on it in a charitable way and gave over $100 to its feeding and upkeep.
Now, I'm quite happy to contribute to the group effort to help the business by posting - I think it is also ok for the forum to come visit me a wee bit too.....

I receive about 7% of my traffic from the forum - Thank you! - I don't need to come here to drive traffic I have other mysterious reasons why I come here... - I 'll let people guess what they are....if you figure it out let me know too

I really recommend getting into blogging - it's fun to build the blog and set it up for advertising or not - gives you a chance for self expression and interaction with the whole world and there are some great blogging communites like BlogCatalog http://www.blogcatalog.com/ where you can connect and get exposed to some interesting people not unlike the ER forum community and some very much unlike the er forum - it's a big world out there! My son just got back from a month in India and kept a blog with almost daily extensive postings with a weekly dump of his photos - wonderful! - and a relief to know he was doing ok there...
Love to you all..sweet dreams sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite everythings going to be alright nitey nite...
Old 05-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

No problem with your nice discreet links to your blog Dantien. I check out your blog once in a while. Haven't seen you post anything about our senatorial candidate, Al Franken, lately. Have you visited any of his events? I did and had a chance to talk to him afterword.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
No problem with your nice discreet links to your blog Dantien. I check out your blog once in a while. Haven't seen you post anything about our senatorial candidate, Al Franken, lately. Have you visited any of his events? I did and had a chance to talk to him afterword.
Hi Martha, thank you....Al has been sending me emails - I missed the opening get together at St. Louis Park H.S. couple months ago..I read that post - good for him if you help out - looks like you might just be busy in the future..as it stands now I'm in for Franken he's Good Enough, he's Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Him!...and gosh we need some light hearted moments on the election trail and those commitee meetings on TV...by the BYE I put out a new video of Al on MY BLOG WOKEUPTODAY.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 05-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This is the first time I realized you had a blog, Dan. Guess you need a big, flashing, VISIT MY BLOG signature. How's the "less TV" thing going?

Old 05-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

My thought was that the trend to less moderation might make it possible to have one board where moderation was banned. People could take conversations there if they didn't want to upset the moderators, and posters who wanted to be protected from unsupervised adults could simply avoid that board.
Well, if you want an unmoderated place to discuss Financial matters, I know of one right of the top of my head. It's a Usenet group, that you can access through Google groups (link) titled: Valuation-Informed Indexing

Has only had three posts in a year, so no problem with your post getting lost in the crush, and being Usenet, there should be no moderation at all:

http://tinyurl.com/28qxg8

From the same creator as that environment, you could also visit this place, but I am not sure they still accept new posts. Still, it lets you see where dialogs can go with "less than effective" moderation...

http://tinyurl.com/346cx3

As to me, I think I will stay with the moderated places, thanks anyway!

8)

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You're sounding pretty defensive to me, Nords -- and I still don't know what Brewer's posting.

But don't worry about me trying to take control away from you, Nords. You seem to have a tight grip on things. I wasn't even thinking of opening up the whole forum to non-moderated adults. My thought was that the trend to less moderation might make it possible to have one board where moderation was banned. People could take conversations there if they didn't want to upset the moderators, and posters who wanted to be protected from unsupervised adults could simply avoid that board. I guess even that might still seem threatening to some. I think I misread the implications of the moderator reduction trend.
Quote:
You sound angry, Nords. I wonder why that is -- and why you think this thread is an attempt "to antagonize the moderators".

I'm not a professional psychiatrist, but this is the kind of flare-up that was way too common in the workplace. Do you miss having the authority you used to have in the office? Maybe you could take on some volunteer activities that could replace that. 8)

I hope you feel more at peace soon.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
This is the first time I realized you had a blog, Dan. Guess you need a big, flashing, VISIT MY BLOG signature. How's the "less TV" thing going?
Hi Al, the less tv thing is progressing....I'm down to an hour or so in the eve - The News Hour, Colbert Report once in a while more when the twins are on...Congress/Senate hearings grillings of Gonzales, etc.....Netflix....annual renewal is coming up for Dish (over $600) - deciding on whether to prune it severely and maintain the sports channel for the Twins/Comedy Central, etc...or cutting loose to local through an HD receiver where twins (did you know I'm a twins fan) appear infrequently..there's always radio and my imagination - concern is youngest son when home from college sort of expects some cable for comedy central and other youth channels - as you might expect people his age get their news from John Stewart & Colbert..I can hardly blame them...I'm getting to bed like around 10 now that golf season is here and get up at 5 for a 5:30 tee time...that way I do 3 hour golf and cuts down on wasting time on tv too...how are you doing....
Old 05-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #20

I'm a double-secret moderator now.

And I'm a dom.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote