Limit posting frequency?

Well, does anyone here believe that the OP, as an occasional poster would have enough cred to make the mods consider his/her suggestion? Even before--but especially after 70+ "No" votes?

Most popular suggestion ever.

Well, does anyone here believe that the OP, as an occasional poster would have enough cred to make the mods consider his/her suggestion? Even before--but especially after 70+ "No" votes?

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it's about "cred," and no need to slight him/her as an "occasional poster." I think he/she was just floating an idea. Nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of floating, though, it went over about as well as a turd in a punchbowl.

Last edited:
I enjoy the mix here. In real-life conversation, there are always a variety of personalities: people who are long winded, short and to the point, pithy, rambling, succinct, analytic, incoherent... I've seen it all here. There are also times when two or three members get into a detailed discussion on something and go back and forth at length. Since there is the option to block a poster (I myself haven't done it yet!) I can't see how limiting posting would do any good except shut down conversation and create ill will.

It's not how much you post, but what you post that should or should not be limited :).

I also posted that I would prefer not to have a limit on posts, but I'm strongly in favor of anyone - whether an occasional poster or a prolific regular poster - being able to make suggestions. I highly value the open and inclusive nature of the community and it actually makes me a bit uncomfortable that an unpopular suggestion has drawn comments about the "cred" of the poster.

I value the community of posters here, in large part because we are mostly united in our support of FIRE, but are otherwise a diverse lot who do NOT all think the same. I'm glad so many people also prefer not to limit posts, but I hope we do not limit ideas, even unpopular ones, from being posted. Civilly, that is. Many thanks to mods.

I also posted that I would prefer not to have a limit on posts, but I'm strongly in favor of anyone - whether an occasional poster or a prolific regular poster - being able to make suggestions. I highly value the open and inclusive nature of the community and it actually makes me a bit uncomfortable that an unpopular suggestion has drawn comments about the "cred" of the poster.

I value the community of posters here, in large part because we are mostly united in our support of FIRE, but are otherwise a diverse lot who do NOT all think the same. I'm glad so many people also prefer not to limit posts, but I hope we do not limit ideas, even unpopular ones, from being posted. Civilly, that is. Many thanks to mods.

Agreed, and I did not mean to denigrate the OP's suggestion.

My comment was more toward the voters who may have feared the mod's consideration of implementation.

Equating posting regularity with cred was unintentional. But forgive me! I live in a town where you're not considered a local unless your great-grandfather also lived here.

Last edited:
I enjoy the mix here. In real-life conversation, there are always a variety of personalities: people who are long winded, short and to the point, pithy, rambling, succinct, analytic, incoherent... I've seen it all here. There are also times when two or three members get into a detailed discussion on something and go back and forth at length. Since there is the option to block a poster (I myself haven't done it yet!) I can't see how limiting posting would do any good except shut down conversation and create ill will.

+1

Sometimes, those threads in which a few members get into a detailed discussion can be interesting and informative. A posting limit, as well as reducing the less substantial chitter-chatter, could also cut down on the more meaningful exchanges.

Besides, I quite like frivolous banter :LOL:

Dang those occasional posters! String 'em up!

Not sure if the OP was being serious or just throwing out fodder for us...

But HECK NO....

Evan an occasional poster sometimes has questions and to flesh out what they really want to know others ask questions... sometimes an OP will post 10 times (maybe more) just on their one question.... having a limit means that can take days and others have moved on and the question never does get answered...

As others have pointed out... there are many ways for you to deal with the posts you do not like.... like ignoring them....

BTW, I have done some research on some other things and have come across a forum for it... and sometimes there are a whole whopping 10 posts a MONTH from everybody!!! Not a place I want to be...

I liken this forum to a diverse group of colleagues gathering at a local coffee shop to meet up and have polite discussions on most any topic (BTW, my local coffee shop serves wine and beer). :) I'm glad it's not a road house where a shot of liquor every 15 minutes is expected and hourly fights out back are the goal! Plenty of those on the web.

I wouldn't want myself or one of my peers to be told, "That's three, stifle yourself for the day!" :fingerwag:

And to OP, no harm in tossing out the idea. Hopefully (and I believe) all sensible ideas are welcome here.

I find this to be a well-moderated, highly functional forum with no changes needed.
+1. I don't see a need for changes, and it's easy enough to read as much or as little as I want.

There's always ignore as others have mentioned. I tried ignore for a while years ago, but found it unnecessary (and 7 of the 8 I had on ignore left on their own long ago), and don't use it anymore.

Besides, I don't know but I assume forums rely on hits/traffic to pay for themselves. And there's nothing wrong with that IMO. It takes work to build and maintain a site like this, and some folks are doing it voluntary-gratis? I'm thankful for ER.org, I've learned a lot here.

I am an infrequent poster but I vote no as well. H
Most healthy, active message boards that I participate in have a subset of members who provide a disproportionate number of posts, but that is good. Someone needs to keep the place alive. A forum made up of virtual introverts would seem like a wasteland.

Quote:
Blessed is the man,
who having nothing to say,
abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact.

George Eliot
Never figgered this out... :(

Where I'm from they would say,

"If y'ive nowt worth sayin, then shut yer gob!"

"Better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

I wonder if the Pareto 80/20 rule holds regarding posts.

I'm not sure of the OPs motives, but I sometimes get tired of reading the same posters who seem to feel they must weigh in on everything. I know, use ignore.

But I believe in freedom, and any more rules would detract from forum.

Just a cotton-picking minute! I never said that! You must have misheard me! Because I never misspoke!

Back
Top Bottom