Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2015, 05:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Braumeister, I've had people recommend free programs and have not had good luck. My friend that's computer savvy yells at me when I tell her that I downloaded a program recommended by strangers on the Internet.
And there aren't many stranger than me.
Glad you survived the experience.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Psssssst, just installed AdBlocker and all ads have disappeared from this site. That said, had a terrifying moment when rebooting and everything went black.

Braumeister, I've had people recommend free programs and have not had good luck. My friend that's computer savvy yells at me when I tell her that I downloaded a program recommended by strangers on the Internet.......

Off to see if the talking ads have stopped on the news sites I watch.
Ditto, ditto, triple ditto. I am very leery of anything with a free download these days.
Mr B concurs. He is the resident computer expert when it comes to networking and anti-virus. I'm an advanced user, but not up on the latest stuff out there.

I am looking for something that is low to medium cost and has the logo of an established software company on it. Nothing so far.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Using my mac and Safari I don't believe I've ever had anything pop up or start here at ER. Just the static ads on the right. I'm pretty illiterate on the workings of computers, hence the mac. I'd be pretty cautious of downloading anything from anywhere that's free.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ditto, ditto, triple ditto. I am very leery of anything with a free download these days. ...
You just need to go to a known good source.

For example, the ad-block software I use for my Chromium browser is an extension loaded from the browsers 'tools/extension' tab. These are distributed by the browser developer, so they are about as safe as you can get.

Downloading and installing w/o checking the source is dangerous. Don't do that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

I use adblocker plus.

When I want to be totally ad free, I open "HOSTSMAN", which blocks all ads. It sits in the system tray as an on-off program, so on those sites that require a plug-in that has been blocked, it's a single click to fix. It is a free program.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

The only ads I block on this site are those that include tracking cookies. It appears though, that all ads on this site include them, so I never see any ads. I don't use an ad blocker at all, but turned on Internet Explorer's 'Tracking Protection' - nothing to install, just turn it on and choose a TP List.
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here are two, I use them both and rarely have a problem:

AdblockerPlus
Ghostery
I was about to give up on web browsing will the pop ups, pop unders, scrolling pictures, self-starting videos all cluttering my browsing. But last night, I guess my browser automatically installed Adblock Plus, and now I'm happy to say I can browse without being bombarded with ads.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
The only ads I block on this site are those that include tracking cookies. It appears though, that all ads on this site include them, so I never see any ads. I don't use an ad blocker at all, but turned on Internet Explorer's 'Tracking Protection' - nothing to install, just turn it on and choose a TP List.
I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for sharing this--for the last few months, I was going crazy from the ads on this forum (including the autoplay videos, and ads hiding posts & the sidebar).

I downloaded Adblock as suggested here awhile back, it helped some but not totally--then that same night I got the 'Blue Screen of Death' when I clicked on another site (AllPosters.com). I didnt know if it was just a coincidence until I tried again--and got the same thing. So I uninstalled Adblock which solved the blue screen problem but made this site crazy again.

'The Tracking Protection' feature above--just enabled this, and man it's a beautiful thing! THANK YOU
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ads, soundtrack, spam