Mail notification

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What happened to my "instant mail notification"? It seemed to have stopped this afternoon -- since then I have received around 100 e-mails in my inbox, none were from Early Retirement. A check of my User CP showed many, many unread subscribed threads.

Is this still a problem, Ron? It looks like your account is set for "instant e-mail notification" of subscribed threads.

Is this still a problem, Ron? It looks like your account is set for "instant e-mail notification" of subscribed threads.

Yes. I am still without "e-mail notification." Again, I do not seem to have a problem getting my mail from other sources -- over 300 messages since losing the ER feed.

I did try to reset my Settings but that didn't appear to have any effect.

I will say, it is extremely inefficient to have to manually search for unread posts -- having to search through all the previously read stuff trying to remember if a particular post, in each thread, was read previously. On the other hand, it doesn't leave me with time to make my own posts -- a "good thing" probably.

RonBoyd - several more things you can check...

Please check to see that e-mail from us isn't going to a spam folder somewhere. If you have ISP level filtering it is likely that it is being stopped. If you also have spam filtering on your mail program check there as well. Has anything changed about how you handle e-mail? Do you have new security software, etc?

RonBoyd - several more things you can check...

Please check to see that e-mail from us isn't going to a spam folder somewhere. If you have ISP level filtering it is likely that it is being stopped. If you also have spam filtering on your mail program check there as well. Has anything changed about how you handle e-mail? Do you have new security software, etc?

No, there have no changes in my normal e-mail routine. I do not and never have had any spam filtering. I exchange more than 1,000 e-mails a week and find that a SPAM filter creates more problems than they are worth -- I end up rescuing more than I delete. (In say 1,200 e-mails there are only about 50 "junk" -- I am very discriminating in my Internet usage.)

Again, I have no evidence of any other mail being prevented from downloading (uploading?) to me. Now this is not to say that Qwest has not taken it upon themselves to filter my e-mail -- this has happened a couple of times before in the sense that a bunch of old e-mail arrived about a week late.

In any event, at this point I don't believe that the problem is on my end. However, if this is an isolated case, I could easily change that opinion.

Hmm.. not sure what else to suggest here - I am subscribed to this thread and just got notice a that you posted.

I'd bet it's Quest with some new filter rules. Check there if everything else seems fine. They should have a junk folder that you can go online and check, or something.

-ERD50

I am skeptical. Why would they single out ER? I will, however, call them tomorrow -- I wouldn't know where to start looking online for a "junk filter."

My ISP (Qwest.net) has no e-mail SPAM filters -- they do have other security filters available but one has to specifically subscribe to them... I have not.

I have, as a test, changed my ER profile to receive "Daily E-mail Notification." I will change it back to "Immediate notification" after either (A) receipt of such notification or (B) twenty-four hours from now.

I use Microsoft Outlook as my e-mail reader. It does have a built-in "Junk Mail filter" that isolates suspicious mail into a special folder (it does not arbitrarily delete them). I find three or four diverted handled that way every day. To prevent this diversion one can add e-mail addresses to the "Safe Senders" list. I have added support@early-retirement.org to this list just in case the problem lies in this area.

The only other solution I can think of is to draw down my mail with another computer. (This is no problem since I transfer this function to my notebook computer when we travel; which is quite often.) I will, however, wait for the results of the above changes before doing that.

I for one requested NOT to be notified via email about various postings. My personal method it to review all the formus I am interested in and read those posts every day. The forum doesn't have to email me everytime someone enters a post. I was going through 25-30 emails every day and deleting them without reading. Later, I would just go to the site and look at the subject matter. I requested the forum stop emailing me and it worked. Hopefully this is done on an individual request only.

I for one requested NOT to be notified via email about various postings. My personal method it to review all the formus I am interested in and read those posts every day. The forum doesn't have to email me everytime someone enters a post. I was going through 25-30 emails every day and deleting them without reading. Later, I would just go to the site and look at the subject matter. I requested the forum stop emailing me and it worked. Hopefully this is done on an individual request only.

Yeah. What you describe is what I have now. That is way too inefficient for my tastes.

What I want is to use the RSS feed to check for new threads, subscribe to those I find of interest, be notified of new postings to subscribed threads, and then go directly to the first non-read posting in the subscribed thread. (This is what I had up to last Thursday or Friday.) No muss, no fuss... quickly done.

What I have now is Browsing to the ER Forum, clicking on UserCP, clicking, in turn, on each subscribed thread with new postings, paging down through all the posts until I no longer recognize one as having been read, and then reading the new postings. A long boring affair.

Yeah. What you describe is what I have now. That is way too inefficient for my tastes.

What I want is to use the RSS feed to check for new threads, subscribe to those I find of interest, be notified of new postings to subscribed threads, and then go directly to the first non-read posting in the subscribed thread. (This is what I had up to last Thursday or Friday.)

OK - I'm confused :confused:

You are having trouble getting the rss feed? I thought you were talking about e-mail notifications of thread updates. These are 2 different functions and we haven't looked at issues with RSS feed, but will.

OK - I'm confused :confused:

You are having trouble getting the rss feed? I thought you were talking about e-mail notifications of thread updates. These are 2 different functions and we haven't looked at issues with RSS feed, but will.

No. No. I have no problem with the RSS feed. It is working as expected. What I said was that my normal routine was to use the RSS feed to find new postings. I used that method so that I didn't have to check each Forum (or use the "Quick Links" function) for new threads.

My problem is, as you say, the e-mail notification function.

Having discovered, in the RSS feed, a thread I wished to follow, I would subscribe and wait to be notified by e-mail when there was a new posting. That no longer happens.

My last post got me to thinking about the "subscribed" threads. There is no easy way to "unsubscribe" from a thread when it has out-lived its usefullness (actually, there is no way of even knowing when that is).

Anyway, I note that I am subscribed to 482 threads -- obviously many more than I should (or need to) be. I wonder if this quantity has made the "e-mail Notification" function choke.

My last post got me to thinking about the "subscribed" threads. There is no easy way to "unsubscribe" from a thread when it has out-lived its usefullness (actually, there is no way of even knowing when that is).

Anyway, I note that I am subscribed to 482 threads -- obviously many more than I should (or need to) be. I wonder if this quantity has made the "e-mail Notification" function choke.

Doubt it. I have 1222 subscribed threads.

I have the settings so I automatically am email subscribed to any thread I post to. The old SW allowed a "subscribe to this thread" with a single button, the "new improved", is a multi-step process accessed only through pull-down windows.

Seems they may stop from time to time, but logging in/out starts it up again, but that may be coincidence.

-ERD50

Doubt it. I have 1222 subscribed threads.

I have the settings so I automatically am email subscribed to any thread I post to. The old SW allowed a "subscribe to this thread" with a single button, the "new improved", is a multi-step process accessed only through pull-down windows.

Seems they may stop from time to time, but logging in/out starts it up again, but that may be coincidence.

1,222! Yeah, I've gotta get on the stick. Eh?

I have the same setting -- I am automatically subscribed to any Thread I start or that I post to, also. The subscribing is not my problem since I show that I am subscribed to all the new stuff since this problem started.

Hmmmm. Logging out? Could it be that simple? I will try it.

Hey, I just noticed that I am set to receive "Instant email notification." I thought I had changed that ( see post #11). How did that get changed? Is there a poltergiest in my file?

What I want is to use the RSS feed to check for new threads, subscribe to those I find of interest, be notified of new postings to subscribed threads, and then go directly to the first non-read posting in the subscribed thread. (This is what I had up to last Thursday or Friday.) No muss, no fuss... quickly done.

What I have now is Browsing to the ER Forum, clicking on UserCP, clicking, in turn, on each subscribed thread with new postings, paging down through all the posts until I no longer recognize one as having been read, and then reading the new postings. A long boring affair.

RonBoyd, what I didn't like about the emails, they just said there was a posting, what subject but I had to go to the forum anyway to pick up on it. The forum was just saying, "hey, somebody made a post on this subject. If you want to read it go to ......". To me that was a waste. I'm relatively new to the forum, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

RonBoyd, what I didn't like about the emails, they just said there was a posting, what subject but I had to go to the forum anyway to pick up on it. The forum was just saying, "hey, somebody made a post on this subject. If you want to read it go to ......". To me that was a waste. I'm relatively new to the forum, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

No. What ever works for you is the correct way.

However, just to make sure I have explained it properly: The only e-mail notifications I want (or expect) are for those threads that I have subscribed to. By definition, I would "want" to read those posts. No way would I want an e-mail for each and every post to ER -- that would anger me also.

It's not really that hard to unsubscribe. I had done it once before, and when I tried it this time it was even easier than I remembered. I just went to User CP, looked at the bottom of the subscribed threads list, chose View All Subsribed threads, and listed them off. Went to the end and put check marks beside a bunch, then chose Move to Folder - Unsubscribe. Easy peasy.

If you are still having issues with email, please post your email service provider here so I can investigate further.

Thanks,

Andy

If you are still having issues with email, please post your email service provider here so I can investigate further.

Thanks,

Andy

Yes, I still am not receiving notifications. My ISP is qwest.net (if that is what you are asking -- as in my e-mail address).

10-4 Ron. I will call the Qwest Postmaster and see what's going on.

Here I thought I was going nuts! I haven't received e-mail notices for about 10 days and I hadn't changed a thing. I futzed around and looked in User CP, found the list of subscribed threads and notice that none of the little "notification" (or whatever they're called) boxes were checked. So I checked the boxes (the one at the top filled in a whole page). When I navigated away from this page and then back, the boxes were "un-checked". I tried this about 3 times with same results. As far as I know, nothing has changed in my e-mail - well I did add MagicJack (could that be it!!??)

Spam filter always says something like "we think this is spam" and that has NOT been happening. I simply have not received e-mails from ER Forums lately.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm with RonBoyd. I like to receive e-mail updates about threads I've subscribed to.

My e-mail provider is Hawaii Road Runner (as in my e-mail address).

Back
Top Bottom