Moderating Goof

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I made a major blunder today with my moderator powers. I was trying to quote a user and post a reply, but for us moderators the "modify" button is next to the "quote" button, so in effect I added my words to someone else's post with only a small "last edited by..." at the bottom as a clue something might have been changed.

As it happens I was trying to quote out of context and make an off-color joke, but since I edited someone else's post instead of replying I seriously altered what that poster appeared to say, and given the subject matter and my attempt of out-of-context humor I made a potentially offensive comment that didn't reflect the poster's original intentions and in fact made it appear as if they had written it originally.

I'd like to apologize to that poster and the rest of the board for that mistake which I believe was irreversible once I submitted the modified post. (Further modifications were possible, but no "undo" as far as I know. Apparently the original poster deleted the altered post.)

It is my personal policy not to alter someone else's message without clearly stating so and giving reason. Aside from the goof I have only shortened a couple of URLs in posts. On occasions I've split threads I posted in both resulting threads that it was done and why. I certainly would not want to put words in someone else's mouth.

Everyone makes mistakes-it is nice to know that some people still own up to their mistakes. Thanks to you and all the other moderators for doing a good job 99.9% of the time.

Dreamer

BMJ,

Can I blame you for all my posts that offend others? I'm pretty sure that my posts are not nearly as offensive when I write them as they are when people read them. :confused:

Feel free to alter any of mine which are posted during CHP. How would I know, anyway? :LOL:

Eagle43 said:
Feel free to alter any of mine which are posted during CHP.  How would I know, anyway?  :LOL:
You have a charming faith in the integrity & courtesy of your moderators! Or is that just cynicism?

() said:
Hey, maybe he figures you cant make them any worse ;) :LOL:
Exactly.

Nords said:
You have a charming faith in the integrity & courtesy of your moderators! Or is that just cynicism?
Exactly!

Back
Top Bottom