Join Early Retirement Today

Modifying your own posts?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Modifying your own posts?

Can we still modify our own posts? You konw, too fix ebmrrasnig tpyos? To tkae bcak not too ncie cmmoents?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Can we still modify our own posts? You konw, too fix ebmrrasnig tpyos? To tkae bcak not too ncie cmmoents?
The new software is set to give you a few minutes after posting to make edits. See this thread...http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post518215

Guess we will all have to think twice before making 'not too ncie cmmoents'.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #3

I think the threshold should be set at around 3 hours and not less. Enough time to cool down! ;-)
Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Guess we will all have to think twice before making 'not too ncie cmmoents'.
Ah blw mi.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I think the threshold should be set at around 3 hours and not less. Enough time to cool down! ;-)
I was thinking 3 months for those times when someone is really mad.

By the way, I found another deficiency in the new software . . . it only allows you up to 4 emoticons per post. That is going to seem very limiting to me.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Actually SG I thoroughly enjoyed going back to threads six months or a year old and changing my posts in threads that were just prior to yours to "If your next statement starts with '<whatever you said>' you are acknowledging that you are a tool".

That was before we got the 'edited by...' byline at the bottom as well, so it was even more entertaining.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Actually SG I thoroughly enjoyed going back to threads six months or a year old and changing my posts in threads that were just prior to yours to "If your next statement starts with '<whatever you said>' you are acknowledging that you are a tool".

That was before we got the 'edited by...' byline at the bottom as well, so it was even more entertaining.
But, of course, that simply makes you the one being the tool. Rather than participate in that kind of nonsense, I went back and deleted all my posts in threads where you were being a tool.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

That must have taken quite some time.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
Administrator

I just wanted to let you know that it's not me that is going to decide these types of configuration settings. It will be our moderation team that is going to guide the setup of our forum. So we will discuss your requests but from the preliminary feedback about this, it's not looking very likely because of abuse in the past.

Next week when things have settled down a bit, we finish our discussions on this and post here.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I just wanted to let you know that it's not me that is going to decide these types of configuration settings. It will be our moderation team that is going to guide the setup of our forum. So we will discuss your requests but from the preliminary feedback about this, it's not looking very likely because of abuse in the past.

Next week when things have settled down a bit, we finish our discussions on this and post here.
OK, sounds fine by me.

Looks like we found a serious bug just now. You just modified my original post, yet there is absolutely no record of it!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
Administrator

I did not modify your first post, I just corrected the spelling errors in the thread title. We are going to try and work on having clear, obvious thread titles as it will help in searching and linking similar discussions together.

I am building the search engine index again as I found some issues that were not being accounted for in yesterday's build. Then I will run the similar thread system. That will bring threads together so we can see all the other times we talked about the same topic.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
That must have taken quite some time.
I'm retired. I have lots of time.

Sounds like the mods don't want us to "improve" our posts after we've posted. I suppose that keeps "tools" like CFB from trying to change history.

In the past, I have gone through threads that I thought turned unreasonable and/or untrue and deleted dozens of my posts from the thread. I've also deleted my own posts when someone seemed offended but it was not my intention to offend. It seemed easier to take away the posts than to try to explain in a public forum. Sometimes the best way to smooth ruffled feathers is to explain outside the public view via PMs. I hope we don't lose our ability to delete our own content.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #13

[quote=Andy R;518615]I did not modify your first post, I just corrected the spelling errors in the thread title. We are going to try and work on having clear, obvious thread titles as it will help in searching and linking similar discussions together.
[\quote]

Andy, that's MODIFICATION! And any modification needs to be recorded and reported. BTW, the mispelling is intnetoinal. So when you modified the title of my post, you changed its meaning and intention.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I spend considerable time trying to think up unclear, unobvious thread titles...this could turn troubling...

SG...good to see that you're taking the time to remove all that untrue and unreasonable stuff you've posted in the past
Old 05-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
. . . SG...good to see that you're taking the time to remove all that untrue and unreasonable stuff you've posted in the past
If I removed all the untrue and unreasonable stuff I posted, I would have no posts. I just don't like my unreasonable lies tainted by other's unreasonable lies.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm pleased to be of service, m'am...
Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I would like very much to be able to correct typos, bad, links, etc in my own posts at any time.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
I would like very much to be able to correct typos, bad, links, etc in my own posts at any time.
I would like to allow Al to correct typos, bad links, etc. in my posts at any time.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would like to allow Al to correct typos, bad links, etc. in my posts at any time.
Comma after the "etc."
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
Comma after the "etc."
Yeah, great. Only I can't go back and make the correction in the original now.