Join Early Retirement Today

Multiple quotes in one reply?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Multiple quotes in one reply?

I seem to remember being able to quote multiple messages from a thread in my replies (with the old software), but I can't figure out how to do it. When I hit the quote button on a specific message that one shows up in the reply box, but all of the other messages in the thread reappear without any quote buttons. Sometimes I want to reply to different messages from different users in a single reply while including a quotation from each of their messages. There is a workaround I've been using (copy and paste to Word) but that seems like a PITA. Is there an easier way?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I miss this too. Very hard to keep the replies in context.

Copy/paste to a text editor works. Also, open each in a separate browser window, and copy/paste from there.

Pain either way.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, I miss this too. Very hard to keep the replies in context.

Copy/paste to a text editor works. Also, open each in a separate browser window, and copy/paste from there.
Thanks for the reply.

Although I was hoping someone else would chime in and contradict you and show us some magic way of doing it.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Although I was hoping someone else would chime in and contradict you and show us some magic way of doing it.
Me too!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Andy, I've missed this functionality, too. It sure helped to tie up a lot of loose ends in threads.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What I do is to hit reply on the first post I want to quote. Then, highlight what I see, with the quote markers, and hit "Control-C" to copy it.

Hit the browser back button, without submitting any reply.

Then, hit reply on the second post I want to quote. Paste what you had from the first quote, where you would like to have it, using "Control-V" to paste.

Now you have both quotes in the same post. Type what you want to say, hit "submit reply", and you are done. No MS Word or text editor needed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
What I do is to hit reply on the first post I want to quote. Then, highlight what I see, with the quote markers, and hit "Control-C" to copy it.

Hit the browser back button, without submitting any reply.

Then, hit reply on the second post I want to quote. Paste what you had from the first quote, where you would like to have it, using "Control-V" to paste.

Now you have both quotes in the same post. Type what you want to say, hit "submit reply", and you are done. No MS Word or text editor needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Andy, I've missed this functionality, too. It sure helped to tie up a lot of loose ends in threads.
brilliant!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I finally stumbled across this on a local vBulletin board (Aloha from Duluth Minnesota - HawaiiThreads.com) and I think it's a great addition for E-R.org.

When you want to quote multiple posts in a thread, you click the "multiquote" button on each post. Each clicked multiquote icon changes from "quote+" to "quote-" (see images below) and the post's text is copied to the clipboard. When you're finally ready to make your own post, you click on the "post reply" button and the clipboard's quotes are dumped into the post, ready for a response.

Way better than Word editing or manual cutting & pasting.

Another feature I like on HawaiiThreads is the "spoiler" tags. Text in these brackets is hidden on the post with a "spoiler" label in brackets. Readers have to click the label to read about the movie's ending or some other surprise. It'd also be a great feature for avoiding ambush by photos & images that many of us would rather not see until after we've put down our coffee (and perhaps digested lunch as well).

BTW Andy R, TechAdmin, the HawaiiThreads board runs faster-- and I don't think its servers are on the islands with me. They have their own problems but speed doesn't seem to be an issue...
Attached Images
File Type: gif multiquote_off.gif (1.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: gif multiquote_on.gif (1.3 KB, 114 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Administrator

I have enabled it here.
Tech Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I finally stumbled across this on a local vBulletin board (Aloha from Duluth Minnesota - HawaiiThreads.com) and I think it's a great addition for E-R.org.

When you want to quote multiple posts in a thread, you click the "multiquote" button on each post. Each clicked multiquote icon changes from "quote+" to "quote-" (see images below) and the post's text is copied to the clipboard. When you're finally ready to make your own post, you click on the "post reply" button and the clipboard's quotes are dumped into the post, ready for a response.

Way better than Word editing or manual cutting & pasting....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post
I have enabled it here.
Just wanted to try it out! Wow, thanks!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the link to a fun read! And a great new way to quote.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Thanks for the link to a fun read! And a great new way to quote.
Lotta expats on that board! Also a great place for malahini to learn the details about the islands...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Andy, have you tested this in Firefox, Camino, Safari?

When I hover over the "right-hand-quote" icon, to the right of the "quote" icon, I get a 'Multi-Quote This Message' display. But when I click on the icon, nothing happens.

When I then hit 'quote' button, it *maybe* flashes the embedded quote, but I can't say for sure. At any rate, it is not there when I try to preview the post.

When I right click and select 'copy this link location', I get the same link for each button.

.../forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=553352

..../forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=553352

I'm using Camino as my main browser now (it is a tuned-for-mac version of FireFox, but I got the same thing in FireFox and Safari.

-ERD50
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
Administrator

I just tried this using Firefox and it seems to work. (see assorted quotes below)

Quote:
Lotta expats on that board! Also a great place for malahini to learn the details about the islands...
Yep - cool site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Andy, have you tested this in Firefox, Camino, Safari?

-ERD50
Can't say about other browsers...
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

NOW I understand why I THOUGHT 'multiple' quotes was not working for me. It does work, it just isn't doing what I was hoping for.

So, what I REALLY want is: EMBEDDED QUOTES. You know, PERSON B quoted PERSON A, and you want to respond to the PERSON B reply, but the PERSON B reply makes no sense w/o the context of the original PERSON A quote. So when I hit 'quote', I'd like it to include the quotes that were in that message.

Other boards I use do this automatically, they include the original quotes, you can delete it if it is superfluous.

So, can the board be configured to include the original quotes within a quoted reply?

BTW, the 'multiple quote' button is a bit of an odd design. You get no feedback that anything happened until you move on to quote the next message. Not a big deal, just not good UI. That is why I originally thought it wasn't working - it did not appear to do anything.

thanks - ERD50
Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

WAY KEWL!!! It takes so little to amuse me. Thanks Nords.