Join Early Retirement Today

New Feature: Embedded Videos
Old 10-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Administrator

New Feature: Embedded Videos

Just a quick heads up to let you know I have installed a feature that will convert links to videos into embedded videos in the post.

Here is an example:

This works by posting the URL to the video from YouTube, Google Video, Yahoo Video or PhotoBucket.

So if you want to share a video you found interesting, just post the link and it will be converted.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cool!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Oh, thats going to turn into something naughty and evil fairly quickly.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nice, Andy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Administrator

Very nice feature - thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Oh, thats going to turn into something naughty and evil fairly quickly.

slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Cool feature. Now can we agree that any Bill O'Reilly video posts will be in the soapbox forum?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Can a user disable this 'feature'?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Can a user disable this 'feature'?

Is there anyway I can disable this, and just have the link appear, like it used to? That way, I could choose to click it or not.

Three problems with this 'feature':

1) It takes up a lot more real estate than a one line link. More scrolling required to view the thread.

2) At least in my browser, a page with a lot of these youtube links seems to really bog down things, my CPU usage sky-rockets until I close that window. I typically have dozens of windows/tabs open, a few of these with a bunch of youtube links brings me to a crawl (on my 4 YO lower-end computer, but still).

3) Generally, I don't see any added value. A frozen frame rarely even conveys what the content is. In fact, the simple link often tells me more.

In your example, the 'old way' with just the link gives me this look (I broke the link for demo purposes):

YouTube - Bogle: Keep Investing (Morningstar)

That tells me what I need to know. Adding a large frame to that with a still of old man Bogle doesn't do much for me, and in many cases the still seems to be some random frame that tells me nothing.

Any user-configurable thingee for this? Or now that the novelty has worn off ( and I admit, it seemed 'cool' to me at first), maybe a poll to see if people really like this? I really prefer the old way myself. Nice try, but after living with it a while I just feel there are far more cons than pros.

Thanks - ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I typically have dozens of windows/tabs open, a few of these with a bunch of youtube links brings me to a crawl (on my 4 YO lower-end computer, but still).
I think I see the problem...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

ERD50, there is a way for an individual user to opt out of showing images. Go to your User CP and in the column on the left, select Edit Options. Scroll down and uncheck Show Images in Thread Display Options and click Save Changes.

This will apply to all images, not just the video links. There doesn't appear to be a way to isolate the display option to video only.

EDIT: Oops. Turning off Show Images doesn't turn off video. Guess I'll have to ask the experts...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

OK, thanks for looking into it.

I guess I'm amazed at the people who don't have dozens of windows open

A few open to stocks, stock news, google news, probably a few tabs for news that I may read later (since the links may go away from google news on a refresh) , weather, two or three other forums. Usually, in the forums I go through the equiv of the 'portal' page, and open a new tab for every one that might be of interest - then I can read them when I get to them, delete as I go.

So it gets to dozens very quickly. Yep, I'm kinda ADD

woops - gotta go and open a new window - just got an email update from the beer-brewing forum (I have a different sound set up for different categories of emails I receive, gotta use all the senses to stay on top of this busy retired life!) - see ya

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote