New Glitches

Yup. Firefox said "waiting for early-retirement.org" then "done", with nothing on that tab.

I keep getting "this page cannot be displayed" when trying to open a topic and sometimes when trying to bring up the website. Does it on my home pc and my new pc at work. Never did it before the new server was installed with this website. It will come up usually on the second try. I'm not complaining but I rarely ever get this on other sites.

Hey, I do enjoy your website!

I just selected the FIRE & Money and waited for it to come up. Nothing happened and "done" appeared after several seconds.

Same thing happens to me, off and on. It may be when I am first trying to open the retire-early.org page, or later when choosing a subcategory. Usually I can just start over and it works fine the second or third time.

Mikey

Blank Pages Re: New Glitches

Yeah, it's apparently happening to people a fair bit if those odd log entries indicate when it happens.

SMF has a compress output setting, and I just disabled it. Another SMF admin had similar symptoms and noticed that turning off compression improved things.

So let's see how things go now. Any more blank pages?

MJ said:
I just selected the FIRE & Money and waited for it to come up. Nothing happened and "done" appeared after several seconds.

Whatta ya mean nothing happened? All my money just caught fire!

And that guy in germany wants you to stop flipping that light switch.

Well, no one reported any blank pages, but I can tell from the logs that people are still getting them. I went ahead and turned compression back on since turning it off did nothing.

I put up a question at the SMF boards' help section but haven't had much help yet.

The problem is either in PHP or MySQL I think...one of them may be timing out or otherwise barfing up an error, but I don't have access to those logs.

I'll let you know if I find out more.

Thanks for all your work on the new board.

Here is the symptom I get when there's a problem. Accessing the http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php URL sometimes produces the error message "Connection: close" (Notice the word "close" not "closed".)

That confounds the Linux version Mozilla browser I'm using.

Yeah I'm still getting them. I just quit whining.

Almost universally the first time I start up firefox I get the blank page. Early-retirement.org is my first tab, and I have a bunch. The rest almost always come up unless theres a site problem with yahoo or one of the others. The old site came up almost 100% of the time with no trouble unless it was one of the times when it was perilously slow.

th said:
Yeah I'm still getting them. I just quit whining.

Almost universally the first time I start up firefox I get the blank page.

At first I thought it was Firefox/Gecko, and then I thought it was only during certain operations but after I found what kind of log entry it made and analyzing it I realized it's quite evenly distributed across all browsers, all OSes, all request types and all times of day no matter how busy or light the site is.

The web server is getting the request, handing it over to the board software and getting a success code back, but no data is provided. That much I can infer from what I have.

parnass, I'll check the code for that error message, but I'm guessing that's your browser telling you the connection was unexpectedly closed which is what's happening: the server says "your request was good, here comes the data" and yet nothing else comes.

Maybe tonight I'll run a network trace and click around the boards until it happens a few times. I'm curious to see if the header specifies a message length.

Maybe the board software is taking a cue from the rest of us and starting to ER...

Because most certainly during my last month or so of work I frequently gave a success code with no work being done... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom