New Look for E-R.org

I have no problem with the new format.

I understand, for instance, the need for the right side column and can live (very comfortably) with that. In fact, I find nothing that interferes with the way I usually navigate this Forum.

? ? ?

OK, so I switched "skins" in the lower left pulldown to v2.0. All I see is cosmetic changes (green, more rounded, soft looking), but what is this "right column" people talk about?

-ERD50

OK, so I switched "skins" in the lower left pulldown to v2.0. All I see is cosmetic changes (green, more rounded, soft looking), but what is this "right column" people talk about?

User CP > Edit Options > scroll down to Miscellaneous, select "On" for the right column, click Save Changes.

User CP > Edit Options > scroll down to Miscellaneous, select "On" for the right column, click Save Changes.

OK, wow - that sure eats up a lot of screen space. Going back to turn it off immediately. I keep a separate tab open to the portal, so I see all the recent posts there.

Glad the right column is not on by default.

Thanks - ERD50

OK, wow - that sure eats up a lot of screen space. Going back to turn it off immediately. I keep a separate tab open to the portal, so I see all the recent posts there.

Glad the right column is not on by default.
Please do not set this value yet, the right column will be turned on by default in a day or two. Then you can opt-out of the right column at that time. The reason it's not on yet is so I can work out the kinks on the site before moving to that element. That means that you will have to opt-out again in a couple days if you turn it on, then off again right now (sorry about that).

The arrow icon on a thread listing for "Go to your last post" seems to be missing.

Coach

When I go to www.early-retirement.org, only the login boxes at the top right hand side of the page work properly. If I try to log in using the boxes on the left side of the screen, I get a blank white window instead of the "welcome yourscreenname" window.

Look What I Found

All the way at the bottom of the screen at the far right, a link that lets you refresh the list of new posts. Very Cool! :)

Now instead clicking Top and Clicking New Posts, I can just click New Posts at the bottom of the screen.

-- Rita

Ok, I'm completely adjusted to the new skin. Visual locations of things are not that drastically changed. I've been actively poking at a lot of the "buttons" and it is holding up well.
Nice w*rk, Andy. :flowers:

I just noticed this...a red X and the text "freebird5825", two identical occurences side by side, appear under my avatar when using the Portal page.
Using IE7, Windows XP.

My attempt to paste the web page content was partially successful:

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

What is Rep Power ? :confused:

Apparently it means that we are on a "distinguished road". Hover over the green rectangle to the right of your profile page to see it.
rep power.gif
I almost feel blessed. The categories are pretty funny. Look at some of the moderators' profiles for examples of Jeddi knights of rep power.

I think the admins regretted this and are going to remove it.
Remove Rep Power Squares (these were not being shown on the old skin and simply confuse people. We also do not use the rep power the way the software was built, we use the feature to power our Thanks system making the squares redundant (similar to the stars)

Our "Thanks" system is actually a built in system of vBulletin, the software that runs this site. Out-of-the-box it's called the Reputation system (link) and it's supposed to function in a way where members can leave positive and negative reputation for each other. We have twisted the system so only positive reputation can be left because it helps foster a fun and respectful community vs letting members ding each other and allowing it to be used for negative reasons too. The reputation power is the amount of points you give (or take away) from someone else by giving them positive or negative reputation. The out-of-the-box system used an algorithm that made members who have been part of the community longer (tenure), higher post counts, etc have a stronger Rep Power. That way the long time, high post count members were more influential by having a higher Rep Power. The values always ended up spiraling out of control and the system was too complex for anyone to understand. So we simplified things to make every "Thanks" one point and keep everyone even. We went a step further and removed showing members how many points they have earned because the system is not intended to foster a competition but simply a nice way to Thank fellow members when the contribute something you find interesting.

I'll work on making sure the Rep Power is not showing anywhere. It's always going to stay 1 and not something anyone really needs to see.

I'll post a list of updates to my knock out list on the new skin shortly.

I just switched to the new look and it looks good - I like it.

However, I am now seeing a commercial to join ER.org even though I am logged in. I tried clicking on the link to join and it told me I was already logged on - so why is the commercial showing up? I attached a screen shot of it.

Attachments

• ER.org commercial.JPG
    ER.org commercial.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
Same here. I even logged out and back in, and am still getting the ad. No biggie, just a bug report.

Alan & Harley, thanks for reporting that. It's been fixed and should be gone now.

I like the old format better, and have switched back to it. Much easier, more intuitive than the new format, for some reason. Thanks for the option to opt out. :)

Back
Top Bottom