Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm....are multiple views by the same person counted as separate views.

That is, let's say, I read a thread (and perhaps post) and then later see their are new posts and go and read them and then I leave and later see more posts and then view it again. Would that show as 1 view by me or 3?

Active threads with lots of posts aren't surprising to me. Sometimes I don't post because I don't think I can add anything to what has already been said? Occasionally someone asks a question and I have no idea what the answer is so can't add much.

The interesting ones to me are the ones that have a huge number of views and no one (or hardly anyone) has posted. Particularly if someone asked a question I always wonder what's up with that.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
The interesting ones to me are the ones that have a huge number of views and no one (or hardly anyone) has posted. Particularly if someone asked a question I always wonder what's up with that.
We're just dropping by to see if the fireworks have started yet, and whether we should bring more popcorn...

There are a number of subjects & questions that I'll no longer engage in, but will read the thread just to make sure nothing new has been discovered. I'm rarely surprised.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think you answered your own question...
Quote:
Occasionally someone asks a question and I have no idea what the answer is...
Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #24
Administrator

Thanks to the lurkers.

It always amazes me how many folks view a forum and never join. If you don't login you see LOTS of ads which helps keep the doors open so I guess that forum surfing behavior extrapolates to unregistered members as well.

A forum is defined by its content and those who participate; that includes those who login and/or post and those who pay the bills by not logging in
Old 01-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

An average of 1 reply for every 50 views sounds reasonable to me. With most of the forums I browse, I find that if I am thinking something as a possible answer, someone else has already made that reply, or will in short course.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I definitely view more than I reply. I feel that there are so many more wise and experienced people than I to reply. Maybe I will try to start replying more also.
No one said it, but to be clear I was just making an observation, not a comment. I just assumed replies per view was higher and hadn't noticed before.

I don't remember the exact adage, but we can all learn something from everyone, not a matter of who's 'more wise and experienced,' and we're not meant to agree in all cases. If that were the case, I could never legitimately post here... I have had more posts than I care to count that in retrospect I thought 'what was I thinking' or 'boy did I word that one poorly' - and wish I could say I was drinking at the time, but wasn't!

Fortunately most here post without invoking absolutes and disagree constructively and with substance - you can't ask for more on a public forum. I've dropped some other forums (other topics) that devolved into complete chaos, overwhelming good moderators in the process, very sad.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's seafood gumbo, from Smitty's restaurant... have had seafood gumbo at Smitty's many times. It is killing me more than the beignets.
i almost started a thread about w2r's changing avatars. they are always so interesting and this one looked like a bowl of minestrone soup.

if you think 1 post in 50 views is low look at the bh site! they typically have threads with several hundred views with 5 or 10 posts and sometimes thousands (2 or 3) of views and 30 posts!

i think people (1) don't want to either be bothered posting, (2) don't want to be viewed as someone that always has to post something or (3) feels they probably can't offer anything of interest and don't want to look stupid. i suspect the latter is common. i'm new here but i try to post to add to the content but i also hold back a lot to not be viewed as someone with typing diarrhea, not that i see anyone in that camp but i'm a bit cautious about being too quick to post and running my mouth.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Not all can be like this thread (on a different Forum), it started in November 2007 and now, as of 10:00 this morning, has 16,064 Posts:

Guide to Building a HD HTPC - AVS Forum

Imagine coming across something like this and it was something you had great interest in. Would you start at the beginning and read it all?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Not all can be like this thread (on a different Forum), it started in November 2007 and now, as of 10:00 this morning, has 16,064 Posts:

Guide to Building a HD HTPC - AVS Forum

Imagine coming across something like this and it was something you had great interest in. Would you start at the beginning and read it all?
Probably.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Probably.
Did I mention that it has 536 pages?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #31
Administrator

50:1 is probably about what I do as well, even before I became a Moderator, so I'm not surprised. Thank you Midpack for taking a snapshot and putting out the stats.

I try and avoid getting into any arguments, remembering the old adage, "If you keep your mouth shut you will never put your foot in it."

Unfortunately, in actually speaking with folks I often wish that my mouth had a backspace key.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #32

Sometimes, I will lurk when I am not in the greatest of moods. I can still read what my "friends" are talking about, without bringing down anyone's moods, if I don't participate. I am really, really glad to have this forum to read and thank all of you who do participate!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I don't post very often while I do read several threads without ever planning to post on them because they do interest me. Most threads I don't read anyway because the topic doesn't interest me.

My mood often affects if/when I will post and that applies not just here but to other forums (different topics) I post to. When I am in the right mood, I will actually make 3 or more posts in 20 minutes, a lot for me!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
50:1 is probably about what I do as well, even before I became a Moderator, so I'm not surprised.
One of the biggest moderator frustrations was the self-imposed obligation to read every post.

In retrospect I should've just read what I wanted to read and waited for the membership to let me know if there was a problem.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #35

Same for me. Additionally, sometimes I access this website from other computers as a guest, therefore possibly counting as multiple views but from a single user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I'm one of those who views (and learns) much more than I respond.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
What also interests me is the high percentage of guests online at any time. I suppose some could be members who are not logged in (I am always logged in, I assume more active members are?). Anyway, right this minute only 17% of those who are visiting the forum are logged in members.
I rarely log in unless I want to enter a response.

Logging-in drains too much of my precious time from my busy schedule of being retired.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really do enjoy reading others' posts; I very much appreciate those who post often.

In some ways, I'm a bit shy - and don't want to "rock the boat," or be part of a controversy. In a way it is like being in high school and trying to fit in.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been mostly lurking around here for a while now. I am a combination of a young dreamer and a perfectionist. As a result, most of the time, even if I am inclined to post a reply, I don't because I don't feel like I have the time to make a good response. This is something that I need to work on letting go of, both on the forum and in other areas of my life.
FIREngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll reply, just to boost the stats... I learn a lot in here, and am on the same page with the majority, most of the time. I do lurk a LOT. It keeps me sane, knowing I'm not the only one (LBYM, etc. etc. etc.)
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I do more reading than posting if I am surfing while Mr B is watching TV.
I tend to post more if I am alone. I use the "Thanks" feature to acknowledge or cheer a post, versus lengthening the thread with a simple TY or YAY .

There are so many topics here that I am still in "learning mode" on. I do read every article at the posted links, mostly returning to the article later on as time permits.

I feel a LOT more educated as a result of being a member of this fine forum.