Order ESRBob's Book, Help the forum!

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
Nords suggested, and ESRBob graciously agreed, that we set up a link where people can buy ESRBob's new book on early retirement, and Amazon will pay a bit back to the forum maintenance when you buy that book (or anything else) when visiting Amazon after going there using the new link.

Bob Clyatt, author of Work Less, Live More, says:
"The message boards at www.early-retirement.org were instrumental in helping this book come together.  My goal was that Work Less Live More should reflect the collective experience of a very large number of early retirees.  Early-retirement.org is their watering hole, the best place I know to find them, ask them questions, and hear their frank views on anything relating to ER.  And on days when the ER  path gets tough or confusing, (it happens!), they are always there to help."

Interested in ordering his book? Or any book? Just use the link at the bottom of the page. You get what you want at the Amazon price, and the forum will get a few pennies to pay for the upkeep!

Dory36

Perhaps someone who has read the book would post a review on Amazon? That might generate additional traffic and sales.

LL said:
The book orders are for pre-sales.  Shipment is in Oct., IIRC. LL
Amazon claims that my two copies (one for me, one for our local library) will be shipped on 13 Oct.

Ironically the price was just under the amount required for free shipping...

() said:
What?  We dont all get free electronic copies for providing Bobs inspiration? ;)
Well, TH, let's flip through the book and see where you provided him with some inspiration... hmmmm... ruh-roh...

Jay_Gatsby said:
Perhaps someone who has read the book would post a review on Amazon?  That might generate additional traffic and sales.
I can't see any place on Amazon's page to add a review -- they probably won't add that link until they have the book in stock, or until the official publication date.

ESRBob was kind enough to send me a pre-release copy, and I have had a chance to blast through it quickly, with a more thorough reading to follow.

My first impression -- excellent book for anyone thinking about ER. It appears very understandable to folks who haven't been hanging around these forums for the past several years, but it doesn't over-simplify. Lifestyle as well as financial stuff, and plenty of resources listed.

I was especially glad to see the good coverage of practical changes in budgets and taxes after ER -- these seem to be ignored by almost every "mainstream" financial advice source I've seen.

Dory36

Good idea, Dory - if you make this a sticky topic it might remind us that we can all do our Amazon purchasing with it (those of us who are Amazon junkies). Thanks!

I've just ordered ESRBob's book from Amazon and I have a shipping date of 24th December!! 

Sold out already? 

Will it be delivered by the elves, I wonder?

My account still shows a shipping date of November 24. Maybe they had to go into a second printing :confused:

FYI. I went directly to Nolo Press and noticed they have a PDF download. I have also ordered from amazon directly.

My account shows a shipping date of Dec. 15th. I ordered in mid-September. Looking forward to reading it, if it ever gets here.

Huh. :confused:

I ordered Sept. 27. Amazon says Shipping 11/24 delivery 11/30.

We shall see!

Nords said:
Well, TH, let's flip through the book and see where you provided him with some inspiration... hmmmm... ruh-roh...

I would find it hard to believe someone from here would write a book and somewhere in it wouldnt at least have a quote from me or a photo with the caption "If you ER, dont let *this* happen to *you*"...

Nords said:
Amazon claims that my two copies (one for me, one for our local library) will be shipped on 13 Oct.

Ironically the price was just under the amount required for free shipping...

Nords,

Do you have an agreement with your library about buying books for them and then they'll loan them out (and barcode them and put them in their catalog)? I thought about doing this - buy a book I really want that my library doesn't have, then donate it when I'm done so that others can access it.

The reason I ask is that my local library doesn't have the 4 pillars book, but they do have 48,0000000000 copies of Richard Kiyosaki's books. Maybe if I could share the knowledge of four pillars with just one person...

justin said:
Do you have an agreement with your library about buying books for them and then they'll loan them out (and barcode them and put them in their catalog)?
The head librarian of our local branch is a good friend, but I don't think it requires a special arrangement.  Our library is happy to accept donations and to "reward" donors with a dedication plate inside the book.  It's probably even tax deductible, although I haven't checked into that.

Of course the catalog division is months behind their workload, but I'm assured that the Kaderli's CD will be cataloged "any day now" they cataloged the Kaderli's CD.  (Hey, JB, you can get the CD by interlibrary loan soon!)  And when Bob's book hits the shelves with my e-mail address inside the cover, I'll be interested to see if I hear from local ERs.

BTW Dory, the catalog entry also includes a link to this board. I wonder if you'll see a spike in Hawaii traffic.

Nords said:
The head librarian of our local branch is a good friend, but I don't think it requires a special arrangement.

That is good to hear. You know how government bureaucracy and red tape can be. ("Sir, we really can't accept books from the general public, as our library selections committee has to approve all books prior to cataloguing and lending them. Besides, the workload to catalog all of those books people may donate would be tremendous!").

I noticed your library's web interface is built on the same system as my library's. I love that "my list" feature to create a list of books to read.

It's shipped!

Bob's book is on the way!
This just in: "Greetings from Amazon.com, we thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items today, and that this completes your order."

Darn it Nords - ya scooped me!

I rushed right over here to post the news:

"Greetings from Amazon.com,
We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items today, and that
this completes your order. "

This is earlier than the predicted shipping, I'm excited! 

Heheh, when I clicked the link to Amazon, the other books sugggested included "On Bullsh!t".

jj said:
I've just ordered ESRBob's book from Amazon and I have a shipping date of 24th December!! 

Sold out already? 

Will it be delivered by the elves, I wonder?

Xmas is coming early this year.  Amazon just sent notification of shipment!

The long-awaited book has arrived! :D

And it's a rainy Saturday and I have a pot of hot coffee, what could be better?

Sheryl,
Hope it was worth the wait!

Thanks all for supporting the book. If anybody feels inspired, Amazon is letting you review it now (good, bad and ugly!).

As you'll see, the first words in the book are a dedication to this Forum for all the good ideas and supportive community for ERs created by all of us who hang out here. I honestly think this forum helps make ER feel more comfortable and thus more likely to happen for people.

Vive Dory!

ps: and yes, TH is in the book (how could he not be:confused:) so is Nords and lots of others (some anonymous by request) It should be fun going through and seeing who you recognize. (Some of them have come and gone, so there is room for trivia quizzes from some of the old timers...)

ESRBob said:
Sheryl,
Hope it was worth the wait! 

Thanks all for supporting the book.  If anybody feels inspired, Amazon is letting you review it now (good, bad and ugly!).

As you'll see, the  first words in the book are a dedication to this Forum for all the good ideas and supportive community for ERs created by all of us who hang out here.  I honestly think this forum helps make ER feel more comfortable and thus more likely to happen for people.

Hi, Im new to the forum, and I just ordered your book and wish you the best of luck, it actually gives me inspiration to write my own book, Hmmmm, "why we work"

Good luck

Jug

Back
Top Bottom