PORTAL VIEW and NEW POSTS VIEW not in sync?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is something that I've noticed before, but never did a more rigorous check on it, thought maybe it was just poor short-term memory on my part. I normally use the PORTAL view (I use the v1.0 'Style' setting), but occasionally, I want to check something that has dropped off the Portal due to age, and there is no option to go back to older posts.

So I go to "New Posts", as you can go back to older posts.

But some things simply don't appear in "New Posts", when they clearly have been updated, they show on the Portal.

One example -

Advertising OUT OF CONTROL!!! is on the Portal, but not the "New Posts" view. Here are two pdf prints of the pages, each refreshed within seconds of each other (see attached files)

There are many other inconsistencies as well. Shouldn't these lists look the same, with the "New Posts" just allowing one to click older pages of threads?

-ERD50

Attachments

• ER-PORTAL-- .pdf
    227.5 KB · Views: 19
  • ER-NEW POSTS -- .pdf
    281.9 KB · Views: 15
I thought maybe "New Posts" just wasn't showing threads I had read, but I clicked on the "8 Track" thread, and now it shows up in "New Posts" as expected - just not bolded, indicating it was read, but still 'new'.

-ERD50.

New posts doesn;t show threads you've read (that have no new posts). if you look under the quick links drop down you can find the link to "todays posts" and that will give you a full list.

The portal page is just a list of the most recent posts - the age of the page and there's no way to go back ;)

New posts doesn't show threads you've read (that have no new posts). if you look under the quick links drop down you can find the link to "todays posts" and that will give you a full list.

The portal page is just a list of the most recent posts - the age of the page and there's no way to go back ;)

OK, thanks for the explanation, not sure my mind can remember that rule set though.

It comes up when I'm looking for a somewhat recent post, but it's just old enough to drop off the portal. I might not remember the key words of the title, and the terms are common, so a search ends up in data overload, but I figure if I see the title, it will come back to me "Yes, that's it!".

But if it hasn't had new posts since I read it, it's not in "new posts", and if it is more than 24 hours old, it isn't in 'today's posts', and if there was enough activity, it isn't in 'portal'.

Seems like a simple thing to have a straight chronological listing with no rules (w/o needing to go through each forum individually - with thread drift that isn't always a clue). But I guess it doesn't exist. OK, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

-ERD50

OK, thanks for the explanation, not sure my mind can remember that rule set though.

It comes up when I'm looking for a somewhat recent post, but it's just old enough to drop off the portal. I might not remember the key words of the title, and the terms are common, so a search ends up in data overload, but I figure if I see the title, it will come back to me "Yes, that's it!".

But if it hasn't had new posts since I read it, it's not in "new posts", and if it is more than 24 hours old, it isn't in 'today's posts', and if there was enough activity, it isn't in 'portal'.

Seems like a simple thing to have a straight chronological listing with no rules (w/o needing to go through each forum individually - with thread drift that isn't always a clue). But I guess it doesn't exist. OK, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

-ERD50

If you remember something about the thread subject, it should not be too difficult to figure out which forum it is in. If all else fails, you could use search. You could even search by author name if you remembered that.

In general, I prefer the KISS principle to over engineering, so the present forum design is fine with me.

If you remember something about the thread subject, it should not be too difficult to figure out which forum it is in. If all else fails, you could use search. You could even search by author name if you remembered that.

Yes, but the search thing isn't always that useful - so many results to weed through, and they don't come up in chronological order, so if you are thinking "I know it was just was week or two ago", you can limit the search, but so many threads have common terms you might still have hundreds to sift through, and they are not in chrono-order, even when you limit the date range. OK, I see you can go through and select these by a drop down menu, but that is a lot of clicks compared to a simple default chrono list.

In general, I prefer the KISS principle to over engineering, so the present forum design is fine with me

Exactly, but IMO (and this is no big deal, just my usual over-analyzing), the way it is now is over-engineered. A simple chronological list of posts, w/o any rules would be the KISS approach. The 'new posts' is the one that is over-engineered (IMO), by adding the rule that they won't show the thread at all if you read it sometime in the past and there haven't been any new posts since you read it. But I want to find it to go back to re-read it! I don't care if there haven't been any new posts since the last time I read it, why would I?

Again, I'll live. A simple chronological list would be nice for me, but if it isn't available it isn't available.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom