Report software quirks here

bbbamI, did you get that warning only once or is it still giving you a warning?

I only got it once. When we checked Norton, it said this site was suspicious. I've logged on a couple of times since then and have had no more warnings.

I only got it once. When we checked Norton, it said this site was suspicious. I've logged on a couple of times since then and have had no more warnings.

This site isn't suspicious, but some of the posters are. ;)

Icons messed up?

Odd, I replied to a post this AM< saw a "POLITICS DAILY" icon in the place of the "flowers" emoticon.

Also, my "edit" button after I posted looked like a cropped pic of two men.

??

PS Logged out/in, still there, and the EDIT button does work, just a strange icon. Using the version 1.0 view.

PPS - in v2.0 view, the icon is OK, but the flowers emoticon is still messed up, oh, and the greetings10 emoticon just has text, both modes.

-ERD50

Are you still seeing this? If so, what browser are you using?

No, not anymore. I didn't know if you did something, or there was something glitched on my end. I did see the "POLITICS DAILY" (in place of 'flowers') show up in a post by someone else though, but not now.

But I also have done an update to FireFox since then, so who knows? It's just not something that I would think my browser would misread, but I suppose stranger things have happened. Maybe a corrupt cached file on my end?

-ERD50

Hmm... Chalking this up to cyber gremlins for now - please post if it happens again.

Hmm... Chalking this up to cyber gremlins for now - please post if it happens again.

Thanks, since no one else seems to have experienced it, and you didn't do anything from your side, I'm betting it was some messed up cache file on my computer that cleared up over time or with the restart after my update. If I understand correctly, little images for icons are cached to save time downloading them again, so I can kinda see how this could be the result.

At any rate, all is well now, so thanks for the response.

-ERD50

Maybe it's just my system: I can no longer get into ER.org through Safari (Comcast) on MacBookPro although I can get here the same way using an iPod or through Sprint on a Kindle. It took me 3/4 of a day to get the bright idea of using a different browser. I had Firefox set up, so here I am!

Also the version 1 (blue screen) looks different now; have some changes been made recently? I am typing this post on a gray area that I think used to be white.:confused:

Edit: I get the message: 400 Bad Request

Last edited:
..have some changes been made recently? I am typing this post on a gray area that I think used to be white.:confused:
I've always thought posting here was a gray area. :D

Kidding aside, the 'gray area' posting change occurred on my version of Firefox a while back - maybe a couple of months ago. No problems accessing the site.

This is due to a change a few months ago when we moved the CSS to an external file that is served through the CDN. This was done to speed up the delivery of this information and to allow member's browsers to cache this info which reduces page load times even more. AFAIK, the posting area is only gray on Firefox.

The site should work fine on Mac + Safari. Please clear your cache, reboot and try again.

Thanks, Andy, and hello from the white area reached thru Safari.

A cache clear and quick shutdown didn't work so I also cleared the history and removed all cookies and shut it down for a longer time. Staying with Safari is more about laziness than loyalty. For a non-techie it would be a bear to re-install InstaPaper on another browser; but next up on my tech to-do list: find out how and if Firefox bookmarks can be synced to iPod. Interesting they also use the term "bookmarks" instead of "favorites.":LOL:

Just an FYI on clearing cache

The other day, I was doing a bunch of backups, deleting old stuff, updating SW etc, and when I logged in here, some stuff appeared messed up.

Since I knew I had been mucking around, I immediately just cleared the cache, and did a refresh and everything was fine. So just a note that cache clearing definitely can fix up some oddball problems.

-ERD50

This is curious. I've been reading various threads this evening, but whenever I go to http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-next-step-44768-2.html#post928868 I get put into a loop, with the apge constantly refreshing. I can't scroll down because it refreshes me to the first post on the page. I've cleared my cache, signed out and in, rebooted, etc. I've gone back and read other threads, no problem. Interestingly, it didn't happen when I was signed out, but happened again when I logged back in. I'm not sure if it has to do with the TDAmeritrade ads, or what. Windows 7 Home Premium, IE 8.

Not that big a deal, I can just skip the thread. But curious.

This is curious. I've been reading various threads this evening, but whenever I go to http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-next-step-44768-2.html#post928868 I get put into a loop, with the apge constantly refreshing. I can't scroll down because it refreshes me to the first post on the page. I've cleared my cache, signed out and in, rebooted, etc. I've gone back and read other threads, no problem. Interestingly, it didn't happen when I was signed out, but happened again when I logged back in. I'm not sure if it has to do with the TDAmeritrade ads, or what. Windows 7 Home Premium, IE 8.

Not that big a deal, I can just skip the thread. But curious.

Same thing happened to me about an hour ago. I haven't gone back.

Ha

I was making a post on Sunday when the entire thread was deleted. The error message was not helpful. Something about a thread error, rather than saying a thread was deleted while I was composing my response.

Please try deleting your cookies and temp internet files :)

Please try deleting your cookies and temp internet files :)

Didn't help.

However, I did "fix" the "RV Expenses" thread by forcing it to Page 5 (it was looping on Page 6) and adding a post. I am unsure how that worked but there was one Post on Page 7 that I was prevented from viewing until I added my post.

I have not touched the other thread (except for trying to access it after your suggestion) and, although it didn't start an endless loop, I was still prevented from using the "View First Unread" function -- after clicking it the program stayed on Post #1. And, it did not show (in the right hand column) that the Thread had been read.

Your forum told me that my last couple posts needed to be reviewed by a moderator. what the hell is going on here?

Bruce

Bruce, I'm guessing your two posts contained links? If so, I think the software automatically sends posts for new members to the mods to review. It's a way to combat spam.

One of the mods will be along shortly to confirm.

Your forum told me that my last couple posts needed to be reviewed by a moderator. what the hell is going on here?

Bruce

REWahoo is exactly right. Your total post quantity is below the antispam threshhold written into the forum's software, and any that contain a link automatically get moved for moderator consideration. Your post with the link (the link is in the quoted material, but it still triggers the software function) has been approved.

Post a couple more times without links and you'll be good to go and won't run into this issue.

That's what the hell is going on here. Nuttin' personal :greetings10:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom