Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #241
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Here's an interesting anomaly: search appears to be broken.

Choose "Search | Advanced search"

Pick a keyword (like "Nords") and "Search Entire Posts".
Leave "User Name" blank.
Set "Find Threads with" on "At Least" and "0" replies,
"Find Posts from" on "A Week Ago" with "and Newer",
"Sort Results by" on "Last Posting Date" and "in Descending Order",
then "Show Results as" on the "Posts" radio button.
Leave "Search by Tag" blank
and set "Search in Forum(s)" to "Search All Open Forums".

That's the default search I've saved to review the last week of threads and see if I've missed responding to a post. I usually get 1-25 hits on it, but for the last couple weeks I've been getting over 800 posts going back to May 2009.
We will take a look at this.

FYI - We switched to a new search system a couple weeks ago. It's called Sphinx (link). We are still tweaking and learning. I'll reply back when I hear from the server admin on this.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... but for the last couple weeks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
FYI - We switched to a new search system a couple weeks ago.
Yeah, I'd bet that correlation is causation.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Seems to be working now. I re-ran the one-week search on 20 Feb and got one week of results.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #244
Administrator

Quote:
Seems to be working now. I re-ran the one-week search on 20 Feb and got one week of results.
Great, glad it's working. I pinged the server admin about the issue and he found the problem. I meant to report back but a big storm friend our router and cable modem last Sunday and it's Carnaval down here in Brazil (no one works). So I was offline and forgot.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #245
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ads in the right-hand column are wreaking havoc this morning. Every other time I hit "portal" I get a page that has the first column compacted to something less than the size of 1/3 of the screen and the far right column taking up almost half the page. So far two advertisements, Lowermybills.com and Monster.com are among the apparent culprits. They are ultra-wide ads and seem to have something to do with it.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #246
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Leonidas, I can't duplicate your complaint. I cycled between "Portal" and "Forum" and "UserCP" several times and each time the right-side column (in the Portal mode) took up only about 25% of the window.

I could attach a screen-shot if you'd like.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #247

Somebody started a thread on this here. http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/posts-display-as-too-narrow-48853.html#post906973
Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #248
Administrator

We're taking a look at this - thanks for the reports.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #249

Edit attachments just did something strange. I uploaded a photo, but then decided to not continue with the posting. I appeared in my attachments with status "in progress", or something like that. When I tried to delete it (clicked on the checkbox, then clicked on "delete selected") the page went blank.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ditattachments

Now I get a blank page whenever I try to view my attachements.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

A few minutes ago I logged off the forum and this page came across my screen....

(Our computer runs on Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8.)

Suspicious Web Page Blocked

You attempted to access:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...you-49191.html

For your protection, this web page has been blocked and submitted for review. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

It is recommended that you do NOT visit this page, however if you know that this web page is safe, you may choose to visit this web page anyway.

Exit this site
Old 03-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #251
Administrator

bbbamI, did you get that warning only once or is it still giving you a warning?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

I only got it once. When we checked Norton, it said this site was suspicious. I've logged on a couple of times since then and have had no more warnings.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #253
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I only got it once. When we checked Norton, it said this site was suspicious. I've logged on a couple of times since then and have had no more warnings.
This site isn't suspicious, but some of the posters are.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Icons messed up?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Icons messed up?

Odd, I replied to a post this AM< saw a "POLITICS DAILY" icon in the place of the "flowers" emoticon.

Also, my "edit" button after I posted looked like a cropped pic of two men.

??

PS Logged out/in, still there, and the EDIT button does work, just a strange icon. Using the version 1.0 view.

PPS - in v2.0 view, the icon is OK, but the flowers emoticon is still messed up, oh, and the greetings10 emoticon just has text, both modes.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #255
Administrator

Are you still seeing this? If so, what browser are you using?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

No, not anymore. I didn't know if you did something, or there was something glitched on my end. I did see the "POLITICS DAILY" (in place of 'flowers') show up in a post by someone else though, but not now.

But I also have done an update to FireFox since then, so who knows? It's just not something that I would think my browser would misread, but I suppose stranger things have happened. Maybe a corrupt cached file on my end?

-ERD50
Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #257
Administrator

Hmm... Chalking this up to cyber gremlins for now - please post if it happens again.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Hmm... Chalking this up to cyber gremlins for now - please post if it happens again.
Thanks, since no one else seems to have experienced it, and you didn't do anything from your side, I'm betting it was some messed up cache file on my computer that cleared up over time or with the restart after my update. If I understand correctly, little images for icons are cached to save time downloading them again, so I can kinda see how this could be the result.

At any rate, all is well now, so thanks for the response.

-ERD50
Old 04-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #259
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe it's just my system: I can no longer get into ER.org through Safari (Comcast) on MacBookPro although I can get here the same way using an iPod or through Sprint on a Kindle. It took me 3/4 of a day to get the bright idea of using a different browser. I had Firefox set up, so here I am!

Also the version 1 (blue screen) looks different now; have some changes been made recently? I am typing this post on a gray area that I think used to be white.

Edit: I get the message: 400 Bad Request
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #260
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
..have some changes been made recently? I am typing this post on a gray area that I think used to be white.
I've always thought posting here was a gray area.

Kidding aside, the 'gray area' posting change occurred on my version of Firefox a while back - maybe a couple of months ago. No problems accessing the site.