Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Andyr R,
thanks for your help.
Jake46
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tights. Underwear. Naked Rich.

Maybe it'd have been better if I'd had the chance to ralph on the OLD software before we got rid of it... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Oh! Never mind! I figured it out
My head is spinning today with so many questions, answers, and too little sleep from working on the conversion last night. So I am going to retire for the evening, see y'all tomorrow...

spncity, can you share with the others how this is done?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Quirks & Such
Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quirks & Such

I logged in and wasn't recognized, until I logged in again and checked remember me. I think the quirk resides in having the password re-set.

-- Rita:confused:
Old 05-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #45

How Do I?

How do I get a thread marked as read without having to mark the entire category? I didn't see this in the FAQ. With the old software, if you opened the thread to view the messages, the entire thread was marked as read.

I'm looking for the shortcut to using New Posts and hoping I can click on New Posts and have the system know where I came from (lately it seems like Mars!

--Rita
Old 05-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Trek, we have had a number of problems where the continuity of threads were destroyed by people making dramatic edits or deletions to their posts so we decided on a time limit on editing.
The time limit is WAY TOO SHORT with the new software. Andy, please increase it to at least 3 hours (enough time to cool down).
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The time limit is WAY TOO SHORT with the new software. Andy, please increase it to at least 3 hours (enough time to cool down).
3 hours?? I would like to vote for 3 DAYS. I might be away from the board for a day or two, then realize I made a silly typo or gave a meaning other than what was intended.

Besides, it takes some people longer than 3 hours to cool down.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Profiles
Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Profiles

This is minor & unrelated, and maybe nobody edits their profile anyway, but I was poking around the new software and noticed that under "Edit Profile" is:

"Registration Required Information - All fields are required."

Are new users really required to fill out their date of birth, gender, and, state? Mine are blank, which makes me think the statement about the fields being required is not correct.

FYI, it looks like I can either leave them blank, or I can fill them all in, but leaving one of them blank (say, date of birth) is not possible.

I think the software treats "inebriated" as a valid state, so that's good.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC View Post
3 hours?? I would like to vote for 3 DAYS. I might be away from the board for a day or two, then realize I made a silly typo or gave a meaning other than what was intended.

Besides, it takes some people longer than 3 hours to cool down.
Understood. That's why I sait at least 3 hours.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #50
Administrator

Date of birth is required by US law so we can comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA). You determine if you want your birthday available for others to see in the options. Gender and State are now required so we can better understand our community our demographics. If you don't feel comfortable providing this information, just put in incorrect info.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #51
Administrator

The session was logging people off after 15 minutes. It is now set to 1 hour.

If you want to stay logged in longer then that, please make sure and check the "remember me" box so a cookie can keep you logged in.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
The session was logging people off after 15 minutes. It is now set to 1 hour.

If you want to stay logged in longer then that, please make sure and check the "remember me" box so a cookie can keep you logged in.
Thanks Andy. And thanks for remaining jovial with all of our grumbles about the new software. As a sysadmin I can guess what you're going through, and hope you don't feel the need to break out the clue stick too often.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
Thanks Andy. And thanks for remaining jovial with all of our grumbles about the new software. As a sysadmin I can guess what you're going through, and hope you don't feel the need to break out the clue stick too often.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been working with forums communities for 6 years and know how special they are. People don't like it when you mess with their stuff and I try not to mess with things once everything is all setup. A change like this was quite major but with time people will get used to the new software.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is there an easy way to click through threads and only show new posts ?

Call me dumb, but I can't figure out. Old system had it - and most important functionality.

Here's another example from another forum I read. Simply click "new" and then at bottom of new posts for a thread, simply click "next" - and you go to next (previous) thread automatically showing unread.

pA - Support

I see the "show new posts" button - but you have to click that in every thread (PIA). I see the "show todays posts" - but that doesn't help either.

Thanks.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC View Post
This is extremely minor, but is there a way for a user to change their username? On the old board I had changed it to upper-case "SC". Judging from TH's post (not appearing as CFB), I guess we all got reset back to our original names.
Yeah, respond to an administator. The same thing happened to me. I became "salaryguru" when we changed and lost my "sgeeeee" identity. But they were able to fix it fairly quickly.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Post Quick Reply doesn't always work for me. Sometimes when I click in the quick reply box, the cursor sits in the middle of the box, and the text I type is in a different font than usual. When I click "Post Quick Reply" I get an error message saying my post is too short.

Sometimes it works OK (as it seems to be doing now).
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I also have problems with quick reply.

Messages also have to be at least 10 characters long. Sometimes I am terse.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #58
Administrator

This default restriction has been removed. There is now no minimum.
search click-through issue
Old 05-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

search click-through issue

Hi, thanks for all the hard work!

I did a search for 403(b) and when reading one of the threads, wanted to click through to another thread that one of the posters recommended. Instead of going to the other old thread, it took me to the new main forum page. But I didn't have any trouble through clicking through to a website that someone recommended.
WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
I did a search for 403(b) and when reading one of the threads, wanted to click through to another thread that one of the posters recommended. Instead of going to the other old thread, it took me to the new main forum page. But I didn't have any trouble through clicking through to a website that someone recommended.
I have this on the "to do" list. We need to map all the old URLs to the new ones. We will be working on a way to figure this out ASAP.