Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Old forum features that I still miss:

1. "Warning: While you were typing another post has been submitted. You may wish to review the thread prior to submitting your post" (or words to that effect). Other posters have already mentioned this feature and some may have submitted a ticket on it.

2. Searching PMs as well as searching posts. I just went over 1400 PMs and I'm feeling crippled when I can't search for "Military Guide to Early Retirement" or "101 Things To Do In Hawaii".

3. A search feature that truly handles phrases and not just individual words (maybe a Google "Site:" button?).

4. Changing font sizes by point size (all the way down to 1-point fonts) instead of by the current ambiguous "size". On the old board we used to fool around with barely-legible zingers put up in four-point font (or less).

5. Displaying PMs sequentially like posts in a thread. Right now the board displays PM subject lines in a list but it won't display one PM after another in a long sequence that the user can scroll down.

6. Public ignore lists-- OK, we didn't have this on the old board. But it'd be nice to be able to see who's being most frequently ignored, as well as a not-so-subtle user-feedback tool.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

To add to your list, I also miss the most recent 100 posts sequentially like posts in a thread. It was especially handy if you were just stopping by for a short time and your connection is not super fast.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
To add to your list, I also miss the most recent 100 posts sequentially like posts in a thread. It was especially handy if you were just stopping by for a short time and your connection is not super fast.
I miss the recent 100 post feature as well. However, without it I no longer read/skim almost every post and am less inclined to get sucked into comment on subjects where my opinion is critical to the survival of the free world not needed.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you go to 'Quick Links' (?) near the top, and click on it, it will open (somewhat slowly - is this supposed to be 'cute'?) a small menu that includes 'Today's Posts'. If you select that, it appears to give the most recent 24 hours of posts.

There is also a 'New Posts' item on that menu, and it is unclear to me what that even does? I just tried it in two side-by-side windows - the results are similar, but not identical. I don't get it.

Do either of those help?

So, if one is gone for more than 24 hours, is there a way to go back in order? The old SW let you just keep going back, IIRC.

I have hesitated to post my feelings, as I know it always takes a while to get used to changes, but I really don't get this new forum SW. Maybe it is good for the admins, but the user experience is just a mish-mosh, a real mess. Stuff that used to be one click ('subscribe to this thread'), is now multiple clicks and buried under non-obvious menu items ('thread tools'? - what makes 'subscribe' any more of a tool than 'display modes', or 'rate this thread' or anything else?).

We lost, 'a new post has been submitted while you typed'. The User Interface is just plain weird - some things you hover over, and they change (with no indication that hovering will do anything - you just need to try it; just fly that mouse all over the page looking for hidden 'features'). Other things act when you click, others require a click to open a sub-menu, again, no indication on what to expect.

All in all, it is looking like a pretty big step backwards to me. Sorry to say. I embrace change, positive change.

Oh, is there an actual 'User Manual' to explain what these things do - not just the limited FAQ?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

ERD50, I do either go to New Posts on the top of the page, or the link to Today's Posts. However, it takes you to the thread and you have to click on each thread to read the posts. The old "most recent 100 posts" allowed you to just scroll through the most recent posts in one simple step.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ERD50, I do either go to New Posts on the top of the page, or the link to Today's Posts. However, it takes you to the thread and you have to click on each thread to read the posts. The old "most recent 100 posts" allowed you to just scroll through the most recent posts in one simple step.
Ah, so it displayed the entire post, not just the title. I can see where that would be handy, not just for slow connections, but to avoid some carpal tunnel clicking through each title. I guess I generally skip over many titles that don't seem interesting (to me, on that day), so I never made use of that function. But, it sounds worthwhile, and now I don't even know what I'm missing - and I didn't even know before it was gone (sorry Joni).

I just poked around looking for a 'display posts' instead of a 'display titles' type option (like I have seen on other forums), but I have not seen it.

One suggestion though (assuming you use a browser that supports tabbed browsing - if not, get one) - do a Command-click (might be a different key on Windows - just try them, it's obvious) on the title and it will load that post in a new tab, you can keep clicking down the list and you don't need to wait for each post to load separately. Just get 10 or so loaded, then start reading and closing the tabs as you go. I have a fast connection, but I do this just to keep my place better (slightly ADD).

This must be depressing for the admins that put a lot of work into converting to this software, presumably with good intentions. But I don't see too many happy campers here.

Maybe some upfront notice prior to the change, with some links to forums using this SW to get some feedback ahead of time might have helped.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
scripts running from message board software???
Old 06-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

scripts running from message board software???

In the past 2 days my computer has indicated that a script running on the web site is about to affect system operation (as it is taking too many cycles). I am running IE7 with all of the latest security patches installed. What scripts are being run in the background here? Or should I look for something else going on. The problem does seem to appear once I have been on the ER forum for a bit.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lobbying for most recent 100 posts

I would love to read the "most recent 100 posts" with one click.

So - Andy - what are the chances of getting this back...??
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Lately the New Posts feature will not give me page 2 even though it indicates one and I know there are new ones since I was here last. It says I cannot search again so soon but it is not a new search, just page 2 of the original search.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #110
Administrator

I just wanted to let you all know that I have read the posts. I will be back to address them, find solutions, etc ASAP.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #111

When viewing "subscribed threads" it shows me all threads I have posted to. This list is getting loger and longer. I know I can unsubscribe to some of the posts, but if I do that, I won't be able to see new posts to those formerly subscribed threads.

It would be nice to have a "view new posts to subscribed threads" This will show me only the threads that have new posts (like the old software used to do).
Old 06-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

The old software used to catch the fact that you were about to re-post something you'd already posted. This can happen when you post something, then use the "back" key, and then are not sure if what you originally posted has really gone. If you hit "send" again, it will post it again. And, of course you can't delete it unless you notice the problem within the allotted time window.

I spent more time here when we had the old software--it made it much easier to see at a glance what was new and it was easy to quickly find things you might be interested in. I've tried it now for a few weeks--it still stinks (IMO).

The new software may be better from an admin perspective, but it has not enhanced my "user experience."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I think the new software has a spell checker. THANK YOU!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

By the way, anyone cranking for a spell checker in web apps that dont have it...the latest firefox spell checks in real time in all applications. Works fine on the forum in fact...red underlines any misspellings, right click for correct spelling options.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
By the way, anyone cranking for a spell checker in web apps that dont have it...the latest firefox spell checks in real time in all applications. Works fine on the forum in fact...red underlines any misspellings, right click for correct spelling options.
Yep, it does work quite nicely! My brain spells good, but my fingers don't.....the spell checker keeps all you fine folks from seeing what a dufus I am! (at spelling anyway! )
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

isnt it spelled "doofus"?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
isnt it spelled "doofus"?
Yeah. The spell checker tried to get me to spell it that way....but sometimes I just follow my 'better judgment'!

Man, am I a dufus doofus or what?!

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #118
Administrator

I just wanted to post an update here for you all. Unfortunately I have not had much time in the last couple of weeks to review the feedback and provide solutions. I understand how frustrating the new software has been for some of you and I think some of that frustration could have been lowered with better communication and solutions from me. I apologize for not communicating well and will work to put in place some solutions ASAP.

Today I posted two threads. One is a little guide on how to jump to the right spot in a discussion (to help you find the right place to pick up your reading). The other is on a new portal page which shows the last 30 discussions and an interface that shows the last 20 posts (link).

As you all know (or maybe not) Social Knowledge is a one person small business. Last fall a colleague (Ben P) joined me to lead the software development and techincal side of things but a couple of weeks ago he let me know that it was "not his thing" and has decided to move on to another project. That left me overloaded and handling everything.

I am now in the process of meeting with small development shops to help me code the features that are beyond my skill set. I hope to have some help in that area in the weeks to come.

I am in the middle of moving servers from one data center to another. This takes a lot of work because some servers have to be taken off line, shipped and then put back online and the sites moved over. The system is going to be VERY fast and redundant so that if one server fails our site will stay up and running.

Also, just to address some of your concerns about this community being owned by a big corporation, it's not. Social Knowledge is literally just me. I started this business so I could get out of the rat race. I have adopted various forum communities over the years as the former owners did not want to deal with them anymore. I understand that it feels like **** to have someone sell a community that you belong to. I am learning very quickly about the idiosyncrasies of this community and adjusting as needed. Please be patient while I take your feedback and make things better.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
"Quote message in reply?"
Old 07-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #119
Dryer sheet aficionado

"Quote message in reply?"

I'd sure appreciate some help with this.... I'm sure it's right in front of me.

I see this option on the Basic reply screen, but I'm not able to check it (I use Mozilla Firefox browser).

I go to the Advanced Reply screen and don't see it as an option.
How can neatly insert what someone else has written in my reply and quote them as I see everyone do?

Thanks in advance... I appreciate the help.
... Rick S
Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
One wierd behaviour:
In the latest posts feature:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/vaispy.php
clicking on an item sometimes just opens it in the current window and other times launches a new browser window (in IE7). The work-around is to hold down the Ctrl key and force just a new tabbed window each time.

Sometimes the summary view above shows (0 views, 1 reply). How is that possible?

Every item shows as a New Post, making that column redundant. Maybe show original poster and time thread was initated instead?