Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #121
Administrator

Please take a look at the attachment on how to do this.

If you want to the check box on quick reply you first need to tell the system which post you are replying to (the smaller icon). That will then jump you down to the bottom of the page and enable the box so you can check it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif reply.gif (14.5 KB, 2 views)
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #122
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Please take a look at the attachment on how to do this.

If you want to the check box on quick reply you first need to tell the system which post you are replying to (the smaller icon). That will then jump you down to the bottom of the page and enable the box so you can check it.
Thanks. Andy.... Perfect!
I appreciate your help!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
One wierd behaviour:
In the latest posts feature:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/vaispy.php
clicking on an item sometimes just opens it in the current window and other times launches a new browser window (in IE7). The work-around is to hold down the Ctrl key and force just a new tabbed window each time.

Sometimes the summary view above shows (0 views, 1 reply). How is that possible?

Every item shows as a New Post, making that column redundant. Maybe show original poster and time thread was initated instead?
Thanks for reporting this. I will take a look when I get some time. I have been swamped all week with moving some servers around.
STIL can't suppress e-mail notifications
Old 07-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

STIL can't suppress e-mail notifications

Andy,

I checked the boxes as you directed, but I am still getting e-mail notifications for new postings in threads I have posted in.

I am using Firefox. Is that causing my problem?

Thanks again.

Ed

Later: The 'check all' box does not seem to work for me. I had a mix of 'instant' and 'none' threads. The 'instant' would not change for me. I had to check each 'instant', go to the bottom, select the 'no e-mail notification' option, then press 'go' button in order to change the 'instant' to 'none'.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

There is something wrong with a bunch of the smilies.

, for example.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I spent a substantial amount of time typing out a post in the "quick reply" box. When I hit post, it told me "The message you have typed is short, please type a message of at least one character."

It was several paragraphs long. I don't have time to retype it.
My participation in this forum has decreased to almost zero as it is, now it seems whenever I do try to post, something glitches up.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #127
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
I spent a substantial amount of time typing out a post in the "quick reply" box. When I hit post, it told me "The message you have typed is short, please type a message of at least one character."

It was several paragraphs long. I don't have time to retype it.
My participation in this forum has decreased to almost zero as it is, now it seems whenever I do try to post, something glitches up.
Sheryl, I am very sorry to hear about that. Thanks for reporting it because if not I don't know it's going on and cannot address things. It will be another 24-48 hours before a big load on our servers is offloaded, so please be patient. Once the load goes down things will be a lot smoother and no posts will be disappearing like that. Once again I apologize and will just be a little longer, thanks for your patience.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any reason why this site is running so slow today? It takes forever to move from one thread to another. I can move around just fine on other websites, but not here today. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #129
Administrator

I appologize for this. I will reboot the servers tonight to make sure that is not the issue.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #130
Administrator

I am still getting reports of some people having access issues and I am trying to figure out what the issue could be. If you are having problems getting to E-R.org and cannot post, etc. please send me an email to andy at socialknowledge.com (remove spaces and change the at to @). Include your internet service provide and the location from where you are trying to connect from.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #131
Administrator

The only ISP that I am aware of that is being effected by this at the moment is AOL. If you are an AOL user and experiencing slow page loads this is why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Any reason why this site is running so slow today? It takes forever to move from one thread to another. I can move around just fine on other websites, but not here today. Anyone else having this problem?
I just wanted to post an update about this. I spoke with Dawg52 and he was able to get me some trace route info that help identify the problem. I had my server admins look into things and they found an issue between our servers and Dawg52. The server admins then contacted the upstream providers and they responded saying "These issues are occurring because the connection between our networks is full."

So this is what is happening. The network the servers are on use a system that send the information back and forth over the shortest path in order to try to speed things up. The problem is sometimes there is the equivalent of an online traffic jam and even though the info is trying to take the shortest path it cannot get through and then pages load really slow. I am looking at options to change to a different network that uses route optimization to find the fastest path (not always the shortest) to speed things up. I will post more about switching networks ASAP.

The only ISP that I am aware of that is being effected by this at the moment is AOL. If you are an AOL user and experiencing slow page loads this is why.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

In the second section, "Total members that have visited the forum in the last 24 hours", all the names show up twice.

14thMed14thMed , 2B2B , 2soon2tell2soon2tell , 4sarge4sarge , 73ss45473ss454 , Achiever51Achiever51 , adum4277adum4277 , al4tradeal4trade , AlexAlex , AlmostDoneAlmostDone , AltaRedAltaRed , al_bundyal_bundy , AnansiAnansi , Andy HAndy H , Andy RAndy R , AnimorphAnimorph , are_we_there_yet?are_we_there_yet? , ArielAriel , atlantaatlanta , ats5gats5g , audreyh1audreyh1 , AzDreamerAzDreamer , bacurobacuro , baldeaglebaldeagle , bambambambambambam , BarbaraAnneBarbaraAnne , barbarusbarbarus , bbbamIbbbamI , BigBobBigBob , BigMoneyJimBigMoneyJim , BigritchieBigritchie , BikerdudeBikerdude , BimmerbillBimmerbill , blizzardblizzard , BobMBobM , BooBooBearBooBooBear , boontboont , bootsboots , boutrosboutros , bow-tiebow-tie , BratBrat , BreitlingBreitling , brewer12345brewer12345 , bright eyedbright eyed , bruce1bruce1 , bsscbssc , BuckeyeBuckeye , Buddha44Buddha44 , BUMBUM , burch64burch64 , Calgary_GirlCalgary_Girl , caliecalie* , califdreamercalifdreamer , CallieCallie , calmlokicalmloki , cantlogincantlogin , CattusbabeCattusbabe , CbCb , Cbear1883Cbear1883 , CCdaCECCdaCE , CharlotteCharlotte , chinacochinaco , cho oyucho oyu , ChrisCChrisC , citrinecitrine , cjcj , clh8clh8* , clifpclifp , cmonkjrcmonkjr , CoachCoach* , CoasterCoaster , cocobirdcocobird , Common SenseCommon Sense , CompoundInterestFanCompoundInterestFan , CorporateburnoutCorporateburnout , crazy conniecrazy connie , crispuscrispus , CruisinthruCruisinthru , CultureCulture , CuppaJoeCuppaJoe , CybrMikeCybrMike , CyclingInvestorCyclingInvestor , dd , d0ugd0ug , DarrylDarryl , DaveJDaveJ , daverphdaverph , David1961David1961 , Dawg52Dawg52 , DeanDean , debster747debster747 , DeetsoDeetso , deseratdeserat , dexdex , dgalbraith100dgalbraith100 , dlhansondlhanson , dmdm , dmpidmpi , DMSDMS , donheffdonheff , dory36dory36 , DougViagesDougViages , DreamerDreamer , DRiP GuyDRiP Guy , Dry SocksDry Socks* , dt123dt123 , DudeDude , educationeducation , Ed_The_GypsyEd_The_Gypsy , eeyoreeeyore* , ElspethElspeth , EngineeringMyFinancesEngineeringMyFinances , Enuff2EatEnuff2Eat , ERD50ERD50 , escherescher , EvelyneEvelyne , EyerishgoldEyerishgold , F M AllF M All , F-OneF-One , f091537f091537* , farmerEdfarmerEd* , FarmerJFarmerJ , fercoferco , fignerfigner , FinanceDudeFinanceDude , FinanceGeekFinanceGeek , FIRE'd@51FIRE'd@51 , FIREdreamerFIREdreamer , flipstressflipstress , fluffyfluffy* , fmhealthfmhealth , frankiefrankie , fraynefrayne , Freeatlast47Freeatlast47 , FreenowFreenow , frugal_davefrugal_dave , garrynkygarrynky , GatorBuzzGatorBuzz , Gearhead JimGearhead Jim , genghisgenghis , gettingtheregettingthere* , gimme sheltergimme shelter , glinkaglinka , Global1Global1 , GonzoGonzo , GoodSenseGoodSense , GoonieGoonie , GotadimpleGotadimple , gozziegozzie , gratefulgrateful , greggreg , grumpygrumpy , GumbyGumby , GworkerGworker , hahahaha , halcyon7886halcyon7886 , halohalo , HamletHamlet , happy2bretiredhappy2bretired , HatePayingTaxesHatePayingTaxes , hayekcapitalisthayekcapitalist , hellbenderhellbender* , heyyouheyyou , HFWRHFWR , HighRollerHighRoller , hogwildhogwild , holeinoneholeinone , honobobhonobob , Hot_RodHot_Rod , hova22hova22 , huutrinonhuutrinon , igsoyigsoy , imretiredimretired
Old 08-29-2007, 11:04 PM   #133
Administrator

Thanks, fixed
Tech Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

The "Mark This Forum Read" function quit working for me a day or so ago. Is there some setting on my end that needs to be changed to make this work?
RASAP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Whenever I click the forum jump button I get "Intermet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

When I click Explorer's refresh button the page opens and everything works fine until I click the jump again.

The overall speed of the forum seems slower than it used to be but it isn't terribly slow.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #136

Speed is noticeably faster this morning.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #137

This site looks very different to me this morning... no background colors at all. Just text, avatars, and HTML links and commands on a white background.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Another thread was started by chinaco about this. The formatting is totally messed up. I can't even get the font adjusted right. What's Up?
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #139

The servers probably just need to be rebooted.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #140

I'm just trying a test post, because last time I tried to post - Wednesday I think - all I could get was a message saying my post needed to be at least one character.

Having typed and lost several posts that were significantly more than one character, I gave up and went away.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote